Intel Xeon E3-1225 V5 vs Intel i7-9700K 16 Cams CPU Ram %

Discussion in 'Blue Iris' started by IDLE, Dec 31, 2018.

Share This Page

1. IDLE

IDLE Getting the hang of it

I thought I would share my thoughts and usage on the above Processors.

I have 16 cameras.
    9 are Annke cubes at 12fps and 1080p
    7 are Dahua 14fps at 2304×1296

To achieve a low CPU % on the Xeon I had to have the FPS set to 10 on all cameras and have Quicksync enabled as well as limit decoding. But if more then 3 cams were recording at the same time it would peg the CPU % to about 90%.

Using the new i7-9700K I was able to turn up the FPS to the above specs and shut off the limit decoding and im seeing a 30% on the cpu.

Both machines used the same memory. Just the processor is different. I was hoping to see a better CPU % using the i7-9700K. Maybe some more tweaking. So far very impressed with the i7.

aristobrat likes this.
  2. RJF

RJF Getting the hang of it

How much memory did you have in these machines?

3. IDLE

16gb

RJF likes this.
  4. RJF

Thanks! I am looking at getting the i7-9700k to run about 12 cameras with similar recording settings to yours. Assume 16GB is more than enough based on your experience?

5. IDLE

Yes more then enough.

RJF likes this.
  6. RJF

Thanks @IDLE , really appreciate it!

7. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee IPCT Contributor

aristobrat and RJF like this.
  8. RJF

This is awesome. Thanks!!

9. bp2008

bp2008 Staff Member

Are you using direct to disk? When you are, CPU usage does not rise much at all when the camera is recording.

If 30% CPU usage is higher than you expected, consider that the 9th gen i7 (desktop) series is the first ever to not have hyperthreading. CPU usage numbers which others have recorded with an 8th-gen or older i7 CPU are influenced by hyperthreading, which makes it highly misleading.

Basically, hyperthreading makes the CPU pretend to be 100% faster when in reality it is only around 10%. If you built a second system right now with an i9-9900K and gave it the same workload, it would show 15% utilization doing the same work your i7-9700K does at 30%. If you kept adding cameras, this would continue appearing to be twice as good all the way until you hit 100% on the i7-9700K and 50% on the i9-9900K. At that point you are maxed out on the i7 and the i9 looks like it is only half busy. But that is a dirty lie. The i9 would be nearly maxed out too, and it would really begin to show if you increased its workload futher. CPU usage would skyrocket from 50% to 100% much quicker than expected. It works this way on all hyperthreading CPUs.

looney2ns, crw030, fenderman and 3 others like this.
  10. RJF

Thanks @bp2008 . Just to be clear, it sounds like you are not saying the i7-9700k is necessarily a bad processor for this purpose, just that I should understand that the CPU numbers may look higher than you would expect from a hyper-threading CPU? (Incidentally, I didn't see any usage stats for the i7-9700k on the statistics page.)

But since you are obviously super knowledgeable about this stuff, I'm wondering what your thoughts are on what CPU makes the most sense in a 12-16 camera setup (mostly 2MP dahua starlights, a handful of 8MP dahuas, recording at max resolution and ~15 FPS).

I am using direct-to-disk recording currently (and plan to in the future), but my current system is quite old and gets bogged down sometimes on the four cameras I have.

I am moving into a new house at the end of the month that will require a lot more cameras, and am building the new Blue Iris NVR system ground up so any thoughts would be much appreciated. In case helpful, this system will be a dedicated NVR and won't do much else.

11. bp2008

bp2008 Staff Member

Well assuming 12x 2MP and 4x 8MP cameras all at 15 FPS you would be at 840 megapixels per second. I'd recommend at least a 6th gen i7 or 8th gen i5 for that. A 6th or 7th gen i7 would be easier to get a good deal on via ebay, as they are older.

If you need a system to run better and a hardware upgrade is not desired, BI's limit decoding feature will drastically reduce CPU usage. Will let you run far more on a system that otherwise would never have handled it. Its great if you aren't relying on BI's motion detection and if you don't need to view all cameras at once smoothly.

If I was building a new BI system today it would be i9-9900K. That isn't the right CPU for everyone (the thing costs $525 just for the CPU!) but I've outgrown the older quad cores and as I swap out old 2MP for new 8MP cameras the CPU load just keeps getting higher. My i7-8700K right now gets up to 44-60% already with the live view open, so I'm pretty close to its limit already!

Q™ likes this.
  12. IDLE

I say the i7-9700k is a good cpu. I use it on my pc and it handles my load of 16 cams no problem. I also have it always open so we can see the 16 cams in the kitchen. I have it on a 40” Samsung tv. I got about 30%. It is however a $400 cpu. I had to upgrade my motherboard, cpu, memory and psu but I sold the older equipment to off set the cost. It was worth it.

RJF likes this.