Intercom feedback?

gnikoli

n3wb
Reaction score
I was thinking about adding a speaker to a Hik DS-2CD2542 mini dome with internal microphone install. For instance, mount the speaker just below the camera and tie it all together for 2-way communication, but then I was thinking, would there be a problem with the sound from the speaker being picked up by the camera's mic? Is it possible to integrate a speaker with that camera and DS-7608NI NVR to work as a video intercom?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no feedback issues because it works like a walkie talkie. push to talk
you can't just hook up a speaker, you'd need an amplifier too. all in all it doesn't work like the movies.

gnikoli

n3wb
Reaction score
no feedback issues because it works like a walkie talkie. push to talk
you can't just hook up a speaker, you'd need an amplifier too. all in all it doesn't work like the movies.
Thanks tangent. So the NVR audio out is not an amplified signal? I was hoping there was some way it would all work with iVMS-4500 app.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks tangent. So the NVR audio out is not an amplified signal? I was hoping there was some way it would all work with iVMS-4500 app.
check the specs/manual I'm not 100% sure, the NVR output could be. Camera audio outputs aren't.

gnikoli

n3wb
Reaction score
check the specs/manual I'm not 100% sure, the NVR output could be. Camera audio outputs aren't.
I had and it looks like NVR does, which is why I was optimistic proposed setup would work, but will be bench testing to make sure. Thanks again for reply.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
gnikoli,
Yes, bench testing is wise.
Technically, it is two-way audio.
Practically, it sucks.
Push To Talk (PTT) is simple & easy when the PTT button is on the side of the walkie talkie.
When it's an icon on a smartphone, it's a different matter.
And it's PTT followed by PTL (Push To Listen)

And there's the IP delay. The audio is not real time....

Bench test....

gnikoli

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Fastb. I had a SkyBell for about two weeks. That sort of functionality is what I really want, not PTT, but SkyBell didn't deliver the goods and I have heard similar complaints about Ring. Surprised there is not an out-of-the-box solution like that at Hik-like prices and which will integrate with Hik gear. Or is there?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
nayr reports success with a VoIP solution. Not cam based. and not an out-of-the-box straightforward solution, iirc

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I had and it looks like NVR does,
double checked specs for you, audio output IS NOT amplified.

As far as voip the simplest thing you could do would be plug a doorbell fon into an FXO port on a voip device that you can program adequately