Intercom VTH5221DW with VTO2111D-WP

TomasLTU

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a problem with intercom system I'm installing. I have a VTH5221DW connected to strong WIFI signal(close to access point) and VTO2111D-WP that is connected to the network with a cable.

When I make a call from the VTO2111D-WP the call hoes thru and the monitor starts ringing, but when call is accepted, the view stays black and a message appears: "Network abnormal, video connect timeout".

If I try to monitor the doorbell from the VTH I can see the video stream, hear audio and I can open the gates... The issue appears when I make a call.

Everything works fine if i connect to the network using cables, but on the final install VTH needs to be connected over WIFI since there is no network cable near the door.

What I have tried:
I have tried using stronger power supplies;
Two different access points;

Local Dahua dealer technician said that Dahua devices have issues connecting to wifi and require a high quality signal.. I have tried a different router with no luck though..

Maybe someone has any suggestions how to solve this? Any help would be highly appreciated! Thanks!

TomasLTU

n3wb
Reaction score
That is an option, but I bought the device for it's internal wifi module..

Reaction score
Locate an access point closer or in the same location. They have inwall wifi access points that will sit in a single gang box.

TomasLTU

n3wb
Reaction score
When I brought my own router for testing (Asus AC51U) it was basicly one meter away from the monitor on the ground connected over wifi and I still had the problem :(

coder

n3wb
Reaction score
I had the same issue when installing VTH5221DW with VTO2111D-WP. To solve, I had to ditch the internal WiFi on both and go to wired.

int

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi there,

as there not many threads about the VTH5221DW-CW - I wonder if some of the users here, can share their thoughts about that device.
How is the firmware - besides the mentioned WLAN issues?

I am especially interested in the difference between VTH5221DW-CW and VTH1550CH- as the first sports a better resolution and the newer GUI.
Any input is welcome!

INT

TomasLTU

n3wb
Reaction score
The solution was to use an additional external Wi-Fi antenna, since the routers networking did not seem to handle it correctly, I have tried to get the system to work with ASUS AC-51U router and some Technicolor router, I don't remember the exact model.

I got the system to work correctly over Wi-Fi when using basic Ubiquiti UniFi Access Point, I have also tested with TP-Link TL-WA901ND Access Point, it worked fine too. I guess you need a very high quality wi-fi solution.

But after this, I am not doing anything intercom related over Wi-Fi ever again, I highy doubt that the system will be reliable over time.

Tsarsky

n3wb
Reaction score
New firmware for 2111 and 5221 with optimized Wi-Fi solution.
After flashing you must do a reset.
Program VDPConfig for change firmware.
In settings 2111, you must enable Transmission mode 2.

Attachments

Tsarsky

n3wb
Reaction score
Currently testing new firmware on the equipment 2111 and 5221.
Equipment 2111 and 5221 was manufactured on 06.2018.

If you use one 5221 or the 2111 works alone, remove the checkmarks from the group calls and registration in the MGT center.

Attachments

Primoz1982

n3wb
Reaction score
How did you update firmware on VTH5221D? I'm trying to use config tool but it doesnt find VTH or VTO.

Gabor

n3wb
Reaction score
Currently testing new firmware on the equipment 2111 and 5221.
Equipment 2111 and 5221 was manufactured on 06.2018.

If you use one 5221 or the 2111 works alone, remove the checkmarks from the group calls and registration in the MGT center.

Thanks! Will try to upgrade next week, and report back.

Primoz1982

n3wb
Reaction score
I managed to update firmware with config tool 3.20. Firmware for VTH 5221 successfully updated to 20180731. I had problems with WIFI, VTO would call VTH but on answer call would fail. I have yet to test this with new firmware since it's midnight now and family is asleep :)

Another thing, after firmware update I can still see VTH5221 in configtool 3.20 but I cant connect to it anymore. I have two VTHs, and I can still connect to non updated one but new one reports system busy. New config tools still doesn't see any device, even after firmware update.

Tsarsky

n3wb
Reaction score
Primoz1982, you need upgrade VTH and VTO only by VDP Config. In no case do not update through the program Config Tool.

Primoz1982

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanx for the tip. But I also managed to upgrade from older config tool :). Guess I'm lucky I didn't brick device. Somebody should notify Dahua that all their wiki articles are completely wrong.

Oh and by the way, new firmware (2018-07-31) doesn't fix wifi issue with VTH5221D, it still rings but drops connection as soon as you want to answer the doorbell call.