Interested in Blue Iris

KWfarmer

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey everyone. After many hours of google searching, I've read a lot on this site and thought I'd join up. I'm looking at putting up cameras around my house and from my searching I think a Blue Iris setup is for me. I have a Computer Science degree and run a FreeNAS setup as well as my own homebuilt PC. Looking into PoE with about 4-8 cameras indoor and out. Hope to learn a lot and share my experience as I go through all this.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello, welcome to the forum. As you've probably already read Blue Iris needs a pretty decent cpu and it helps to be able to use hardware acceleration. I've used it for about 3 years now and love it although I have to admit I've barely scratched the surface in terms of what the program is capable of.

KWfarmer

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been reading into if I can run Blue Iris on my current PC as well as keep doing what I do on it. I run a quad core i5-3570K at 3.40Ghz with 16GB of RAM.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey everyone. After many hours of google searching, I've read a lot on this site and thought I'd join up. I'm looking at putting up cameras around my house and from my searching I think a Blue Iris setup is for me. I have a Computer Science degree and run a FreeNAS setup as well as my own homebuilt PC. Looking into PoE with about 4-8 cameras indoor and out. Hope to learn a lot and share my experience as I go through all this.
Welcome to the forum KWfarmer,

feel free to check out the notes I wrote up summarizing what I have been learning:
Looking for some advice and direction!