Interesting DIY solution to security cameras

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Old video now (1yr) but an interesting approach to DIY'ing security cameras. Only failure is the suggested use of port forwarding! At least someone pulled him up on it:

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I hope you are joking.
A company I recently worked for was all about doing things like this. Any time you had a solution that was already built, you could count on someone saying "you could build it yourself!" and then they'd hack together some ineffective solution that would never hold up to being used in a real world situation. Imagine someone saying "I just bought a new Ford (or whatever mainstream brand) truck" and then someone else building some contraption out of junk in the garage and saying it's just as good.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I hope you are joking.
I'm guessing it depends on what you want. If you're a professional then you're not going to be fitting DIY cameras.

However, for a home user the potential is there. The exact same camera boards with sensors and chipsets as are used in many "proper" cameras are available to the market as a ready to go unit. All you often need to add is a lens, case and control solution such as a PI. If it's for home use and you have the time, inclination and knowledge then I see no reason why it shouldn't be possible to put one of these boards together with a PI or other similar controller for a cheap solution. For a pro, definitely not as solution.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If it's for home use and you have the time, inclination and knowledge then I see no reason why it shouldn't be possible to put one of these boards together
Just for fun, last year I made up a couple of 'DIY' cameras using the cases of some turret-style analogue varifocal cameras I got for almost nothing off eBay and some IMX307-based starlight bare boards, and an ethernet cable with built-in POE.
Easy enough to do with a suitable collection of screws and pillars.
I was sufficiently impressed that one has been in reliable service as an overview camera for the driveway and front garden, replacing a Hikvision 3MP turret.
It has quite a nice, refined user interface with more than the minimum of controllable features and is running h.265 VBR to a couple of Hikvision NVRs.
upload_2019-10-1_10-38-17.png

It's a hupuu Hi3516EV100 module, bought from here : 1/2.8" Sony Starlight IMX307 1080P 2MP Hisilicon Hi3516EV100 security CCTV IP Camera board Shenzhen

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Did similiar a few years back in my transition to IP cameras for home use. Purchased Grandstream IP camera boards (liked the SIP functions). Retrofited these boards in outdoor dome cameras removing the old legacy boards and heaters in the domes. Used them outside for a few years and they worked fine.

Overdid it on the mailbox. Neighbor suggested I DIY it after getting some quotes. ($3-$4 k). Built a chase to the mailbox and from the mailbox also ran 12VDC for LED low voltage lighting. I also installed cams facing the house in the back yard berms.

mailbox.jpg

Doing similiar today (for tinkering). Found a source for Hikvision 5MP boards for $25 (or less). Retro fitting these boards in old new stock Speco and Everfocus domes.