Intermittent loss of signal

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for narrowing this problem down?

My cam server is a dell power edge 2950 III with 2 quad core x5450 xeons, 32 gigs of ram, 6 gigabit nics, and 6 Tb of disk space in a raid 5 configuration with esxi 5.5 as my base OS. I run blue iris in a windows xp 32 bit virtual machine allocated 2 cores and 4 gigs of ram. My cameras are two Aote W895G -B POE 5mp cameras hardwired to a cisco sw2024p poe managed gigabit switch with default settings. I currently have the cameras running 5mp at 10fps, with a 2mbps bit rate and 20 i-frame setting all in the camera firmware and mirrored to blue iris settings where possible. The cameras are assigned fixed ip's and gateways. I run blue iris as a windows service on the xp virtual machine and video is saved direct to disk. My resource usage hovers around 30% cpu and around 1.5 gigs of ram when blue iris is just idle with no connections out to clients. I am using the latest version of Blue iris and as far as i know the latest version of camera firmware as this is a new camera setup and network stack that i just got working a few days ago.

Both of my cameras will randomly lose signal over the course of the day usually about 10 times an hour. The signal loss lasts for about 5 seconds and then the cameras come back up. I have monitored these cameras from onvif device manager and when blue iris experiences a signal loss the cameras are still streaming to my onvif app perfectly. This has led me to believe that the problem is with blue iris and not my network or the cameras themselves. I read a few different posts and comments while searching the internet but none of them really offer much advice or effective solutions to the problem of continual intermittent signal loss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I figured this one out. On the Aote Tek cameras in the firmware there is a setting named: Secure Data in one of the sub menus. If this setting is turned on the cameras will disconnect periodically and then reconnect. My guess is there is some sort of credential hand shake that takes place every 10 or 15 minutes and the rtsp stream goes down long enough that Blue Iris picks it up as a lost signal. I wasn't seeing the same thing with my onvif tool because it must handle it differently. I run my cameras and the server vm on an isolated wired vlan so im not that concerned about running with the setting turned off.

Last edited by a moderator: