Internal camera recommendations for pet-watching

CatCamMan

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking for a recommendation for an internal camera to set up to keep an eye on my cats while I'm away (i.e., check they're around and if they're not I can get somebody to pop in and check them). I plan to use Synology's surveillance tool so that the cameras can be entirely internal and not have any internet access (I can watch them via my VPN).

So far, I've tried two £35 IP cams from China, and I'm sick of them already. Their apps are terrible, the signup and privacy dubious (even if I block the devices themselves from web access via my router) and the ONVIF compatibility utterly flawed. The fact that it's impossible to configure these things without signing up for an account is really irritating. The fact that the apps request every permission (including my health stats) on the phone, frankly worrying. Although I'm not really surprised - my expectations were low.

So I need to get something better, and perhaps spend a little more money. I'd like to keep it well under the £100 mark (£60-70 would be ideal). The device needs to be able to be configured to work with Synology without requiring me to set up a user account via some dubious app. I want a wifi camera so I'm not limited to a wired connection - dual-band would be great, but I can run it on the 2.4Ghz network of my router so doesn't really matter.

Any suggestions/recommendations? I was looking at Amcrest and Neolink, but I've seen the comments re: Neolink so have engaged my bargepole to keep them at bay. Amcrest look okay (something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amcrest-Dualband-Surveillance-Wireless-IP3M-941B/dp/B01M15WH9C or this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amcrest-ProHD-Wireless-Security-Camera/dp/B0145OQXCK although it's more money than I want to spend, and I've read the comments about it being rebranded Dahua).

I see there's a lot of Dahua recommendations, but they seem to be dome cameras and way more expensive than I need. What's the next-best thing?

Thanks in advance for any help.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I suggest you consider the Amcrest IP2M-841 (re-branded Dahua) . It's ONVIF compatible, provides RTSP, is 1080p, IR, 2-way audio plus mike in/speaker out, has pan/tilt/digital zoom, wired or wireless and has alarm in/out, great with Blue Iris, VLC, etc. Available in white, black or silver for under $60. I got an e-mail 8/15 that it's on sale thru amazon for $48 with promo code # MLS9FWDY.

UPDATE: the silver can be had for $48 with that code but during lighting deals have the black for $34 (already 100% taken) and $41 for the white (48% taken in Fri. 8/16 at 10:16 AM Central Time )

EDIT 4/1/21: V3 of the IP2M-841 does NOT provide relay I/O nor jacks for an external mic and speaker.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

CatCamMan

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. Great minds think alike - a friend in the US pointed out that offer and has picked one up (he's over in my UK office next week). Same camera goes for £90 in the UK right now!

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I suggest you consider the Amcrest IP2M-841 (re-branded Dahua) . It's ONVIF compatible, provides RTSP, is 1080p, IR, 2-way audio plus mike in/speaker out, has pan/tilt/digital zoom, wired or wireless and has alarm in/out, great with Blue Iris, VLC, etc. Available in white, black or silver for under $60. I got an e-mail 8/15 that it's on sale thru amazon for $48 with promo code # .
UPDATE: the silver can be had for $48 with that code but during lighting deals have the black for $34 (already 100% taken) and $41 for the white (48% taken in Fri. 8/16 at 10:16 AM Central Time )
I just got the white for $31.17 including tax. (I had a $10 credit also) Will deliver today. woohooo!!! (been watching them on ebay for a while and on a GOOD day you might get a used one for $30 shipped. Most of the time I see them running for $45-50.

side note - when I first got into this cam stuff, I tried reolink and amcrest external wifi domes and had horrible experience with them. The domes were just outside the bedroom where I have my wifi router and they constantly dropped connections. I've had an IP2M-841 inside the house and never had any problem with connectivity.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just got the white for $31.17 including tax. (I had a $10 credit also) Will deliver today. woohooo!!! (been watching them on ebay for a while and on a GOOD day you might get a used one for $30 shipped. Most of the time I see them running for $45-50.
Just ordered the white also for $31.09 with tax. It'll replace a 720p IPM-721 that's been rock-steady for 3-1/2 years but I would like a wider view of the dogs in the living room; the 1080p does just that.