Internet block/VPN access ASUS router

BCMguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello all,

After reading the VPN thread I'm having an issue with setting up NVR/VPN access with my ASUS router. I have the VPN set up and functioning, I assume, correctly. I can connect via my phone however it will not let me access my Dahua NVR/cameras. I have the NVR blocked from the internet via the parental controls (appears to be the same as blocking via the client list). I also have rules in the Firewall blocking the NVR's IP address with port range 80 on both UDP and TCP however I'm not familiar enough with that angle, thus me using the parental control block.

From all the reading I've done it appears that the parental control block also blocks the NVR from the VPN. So my question is how can I properly set up the router to block the NVR/cameras from the internet completely while still allowing access via the VPN? Hopefully it's as simple as a setting I missed somewhere...

Thank you for the help - I've been doing my best to find the answer without having to ask.

Xntxny

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the exact same issue, however, I block all ports to the NVR for UDP and TCP via the network filters/ firewall rules. (I'm still researching how to setup my own local NTP server.)

Blocking all ports to NVR via router's network filters/ firewall rules = allows access to NVR via VPN.

Restricting internet access to NVR via router's client settings/ parental controls = no access to NVR via VPN.

Shouldn't blocking all ports to the NVR via firewall rules essentially be the same as restricting internet access? There must be some logic difference as I can access the NVR with the firewall rules. Maybe blocking internet access via the client settings blocks LAN access too?

Hopefully somebody has some insight.

To work around this issue when I want to access the NVR via VPN I go into the router client settings and allow internet access to the NVR. Then when I'm done, I turn restrict internet access again.

jmelan

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,

After reading the VPN thread I'm having an issue with setting up NVR/VPN access with my ASUS router. I have the VPN set up and functioning, I assume, correctly. I can connect via my phone however it will not let me access my Dahua NVR/cameras. I have the NVR blocked from the internet via the parental controls (appears to be the same as blocking via the client list). I also have rules in the Firewall blocking the NVR's IP address with port range 80 on both UDP and TCP however I'm not familiar enough with that angle, thus me using the parental control block.

From all the reading I've done it appears that the parental control block also blocks the NVR from the VPN. So my question is how can I properly set up the router to block the NVR/cameras from the internet completely while still allowing access via the VPN? Hopefully it's as simple as a setting I missed somewhere...

Thank you for the help - I've been doing my best to find the answer without having to ask.
Well I am new here but ran into the same issue, thought I would post here as this is the first thread that came up in my search.

Over on snbforums, someone wrote a nice script to do exactly this for Asus routers running merlin:
www.snbforums.com/threads/help-please-need-assistance-stopping-outbound-connections.38086/page-2#post-314785

You do need to use WinSCP or something similar to edit the files on the router, but just takes a few minutes to set up

Basically, you set an IP range to block all access from your cameras/NVR except for your VPN with an option to allow for NTP server communication or not

Reaction score
Hi

Bumping an old thread. I have the factory firmware asus rt ac68u and use vpn currently to get to home network NVR and view cameras. Was reading up that allowing NVR to have internet access is not safe even if I vpn into home network.

So I tested blocking all internet access as per other users above and now vpn doesn't work. It works again when I allow NVR to have internet access. So if I've got the standard firmware, how do I block all internet access on the NVR but still allow myself to vpn in? Hoping the pros can help out

scull20

n3wb
Reaction score
Well I am new here but ran into the same issue, thought I would post here as this is the first thread that came up in my search.

Over on snbforums, someone wrote a nice script to do exactly this for Asus routers running merlin:
www.snbforums.com/threads/help-please-need-assistance-stopping-outbound-connections.38086/page-2#post-314785

You do need to use WinSCP or something similar to edit the files on the router, but just takes a few minutes to set up

Basically, you set an IP range to block all access from your cameras/NVR except for your VPN with an option to allow for NTP server communication or not
This did the trick for me. I took me MUCH longer than expected to get it all working as intended with teaching myself how to operate and get the scripts to behave properly. Someone with knowledge of scripts and coding/etc. could likely have had it done in minutes. In the end, I tested it with a computer wired to my network....I can remote in locally and through the VPN and the machine has zero access to the internet.