internet cable - how to protect ?

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey folks,
perhaps off topic to cams, however, somewhat relevant to security...

I have around 4ft of exposed internet coax cable that comes from the provider into my house. The exposed cable is on stucco sidewall of the garage.

I rely a lot on home automation and if it was disrupted, none of my windows/door sensors would report their status.

Question: what can I use to protect that cable so it can't be accessed (and cut) so easily? Picture a PVC pipe, cut in half, length wise that may have some mounting brackets on its side that would screw into the wall studs. Hope this description made sense to get an idea what I am trying to do...

There was an attempted robbery incident nearby my house this weekend so home security and monitoring became a priority project.

thanks in advance for your valuable input...

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What about you electricity being cut. My alarm system uses battery backup and a cell network. Cable internet is not very safe. They can cut it anywhere in the neighbor and it is down.

You are not paranoid enough yet. ;)

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had a similar situation. The coax came out of the ground and went up the wall to the eave. They had joined two lengths of cable just above ground level so I simply took them apart and slid it through a length of schedule 40 grey PVC. I put the PVC a bit underground and ran it up to the eave 8' or so above. Sure, someone with the right tools and motivation could still cut it, but now its a lot harder.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Check with Home Depot or Lowes for a section of Wiremold, mount it snap cover on and paint. No one will know what it is.

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thank you for the great feedback. =)

@SouthernYankee - indeed, if no power, everything is pretty much SOL - LOL. The electrical panel box is right nearby. I realized I don't even have a padlock on it, will be doing that shortly.
@Mr_D - I was thinking along the same lines as what you have already done. Might go with a metal conduit instead of pvc. You are right, if they want to cut it, they WILL but my intent is to make things harder, right ?
@bob2701 - I use something similar that you described, from LeGrand on my living room wall. With painted, it is not as obvious. If there's a metal product, it could be something to consider.

Regards,
xmfan

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There is a metal version V700 and other sizes. It uses clips that you mount. I think Wiremold is now Legrand. Google wiremold V700 or V500.

Last edited:

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Mr_D - I was thinking along the same lines as what you have already done. Might go with a metal conduit instead of pvc. You are right, if they want to cut it, they WILL but my intent is to make things harder, right ?
Metal conduit is nice if you have the means to work with it. I went PVC because I already own the cutters and cement from working with sprinkler pipes. The 3/4" schedule 40 is pretty thick. Someone would have to take some time to get at it since most of it is in a corner where something like bolt cutters would never get around it.

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Mr_D -last night, I took a closer look at the cable, and it resembles your installation. The cable is terminating to a splitter in the garage, I will undo that then route the cable through the PVC you are suggesting or metal conduit, which ever is easier yet provides some level of difficulty.

thanks again

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Your thinking too much into this. 99 percent of burglaries don't have anything to do with the internet

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Your thinking too much into this. 99 percent of burglaries don't have anything to do with the internet
You are right to a point... All the talk for a while now has been about the cloud. Majority of DIY security solutions are internet based, hence the need to protect your exposed cable. Home automation that ties into security (windows / garage sensors) all rely on the internet. If a person today walked up to my house and cut my internet cable, I would have NO way of knowing my front door or window was opened.

I need to guard that :). Thank you for your input.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You are right to a point... All the talk for a while now has been about the cloud. Majority of DIY security solutions are internet based, hence the need to protect your exposed cable. Home automation that ties into security (windows / garage sensors) all rely on the internet. If a person today walked up to my house and cut my internet cable, I would have NO way of knowing my front door or window was opened.

I need to guard that :). Thank you for your input.
You need a monitored alarm system that is dual path with cellular.

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You need a monitored alarm system that is dual path with cellular.
Yes indeed. Ultimately, that is my goal.
Meanwhile, a low tech pvc pipe or metal conduit will hopefully make it tough.

Happy thankgiving

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes indeed. Ultimately, that is my goal.
Meanwhile, a low tech pvc pipe or metal conduit will hopefully make it tough.

Happy thankgiving
ring alarm is 180 on amazon today.