Internet connection not working

Skippy200

n3wb
Reaction score
we got a new hickvision system and we were able to check the camera's online but this is not working anymore, we can watch the camera's when we in reach of the wifi of the house. I would think something in the router is not working but I can watch replays online ?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
we got a new hickvision system and we were able to check the camera's online but this is not working anymore, we can watch the camera's when we in reach of the wifi of the house. I would think something in the router is not working but I can watch replays online ?
What has changed since the time it worked and now? No matter how insignificant it seems.

Skippy200

n3wb
Reaction score
The power might of dropped out (what happens a bit around here)

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you saying it only works when you are on the same network as the hikvision server, but when you are not connected to the same wifi/network as the hikvision server it doesn't work?

Skippy200

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you saying it only works when you are on the same network as the hikvision server, but when you are not connected to the same wifi/network as the hikvision server it doesn't work?
Yes That's tight very strange only live view remote viewback does work when your not no the same network

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes That's tight very strange only live view remote viewback does work when your not no the same network
This is a very common issue. You need to look into split DNS or create two profiles on your viewing app, one profile should use the LAN address and the second profile should use the WAN IP or DDNS name. What is happening is that your router is looking for the WAN IP of the network that you are already connected to and it can't complete the loop (connection).

The better option would be to use one profile with the private LAN IP Address and when you are not connected to your network, you should use a VPN to connect to your local network which would allow you to keep using your app with the single profile that is configured with the private LAN IP of the camera server.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
This is a very common issue. You need to look into split DNS or create two profiles on your viewing app, one profile should use the LAN address and the second profile should use the WAN IP or DDNS name. What is happening is that your router is looking for the WAN IP of the network that you are already connected to and it can't complete the loop (connection).

The better option would be to use one profile with the private LAN IP Address and when you are not connected to your network, you should use a VPN to connect to your local network which would allow you to keep using your app with the single profile that is configured with the private LAN IP of the camera server.
I have blue iris app set up with the external IP for wan, and the internal ip for LAN and it has no issues. Kinda seems like something isn't configured correctly if it's not able to figure out where to go inside and outside of the network, unless NVR firmware is just that shitty that you have to do crazy workarounds like split dns.

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have blue iris app set up with the external IP for wan, and the internal ip for LAN and it has no issues. Kinda seems like something isn't configured correctly if it's not able to figure out where to go inside and outside of the network, unless NVR firmware is just that shitty that you have to do crazy workarounds like split dns.
Right, if it is setup properly, you won't have issues, but he is having issues when he is on the network, which leads me to believe that he is using the WAN IP or the DDNS hostname, which is a problem when he is on the local network.

I highly recommend that people switch to VPN and the private LAN IP, you never want to expose ports if you don't have to. Of course you will need to open ports for the VPN server, but that is common/understandable.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Right, if it is setup properly, you won't have issues, but he is having issues when he is on the network, which leads me to believe that he is using the WAN IP or the DDNS hostname, which is a problem when he is on the local network.

I highly recommend that people switch to VPN and the private LAN IP, you never want to expose ports if you don't have to. Of course you will need to open ports for the VPN server, but that is common/understandable.
I use SSL for the BI app, just as secure as VPN, but I don't have to connect to vpn everytime I wanna see cameras lol. It sounds like he may need to turn on hairpinning on his router, but he may not be able to lol, suck.

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use SSL for the BI app, just as secure as VPN, but I don't have to connect to vpn everytime I wanna see cameras lol. It sounds like he may need to turn on hairpinning on his router, but he may not be able to lol, suck.
If works for you, then that's all that matters.

I use OpenVPN and clicking the app before launching a program from my phone, laptop, tablet, etc isn't an inconvenience. With that being said, I access a lot more than just cameras, so the VPN makes sense, that way I launch 1 app (the VPN app) and I can access everything I need as if I am on the LAN, except devices that don't have a default gateway address, however, those wouldn't be accessible using ports, either.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
If works for you, then that's all that matters.

I use OpenVPN and clicking the app before launching a program from my phone, laptop, tablet, etc isn't an inconvenience. With that being said, I access a lot more than just cameras, so the VPN makes sense, that way I launch 1 app (the VPN app) and I can access everything I need as if I am on the LAN, except devices that don't have a default gateway address, however, those wouldn't be accessible using ports, either.

same here, running openVPN, but only use it when I need to get to other stuff.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is because blue iris supports using two ip address (wan, lan) for the same profile...standard dahua/hikvsion mobile apps do not..what dt is describing is the standard nat loopback issue common with modem/router combos...they dont support it...
regardless, this would not explain why OP can review recorded video and not live video...something is not adding up..

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
This is because blue iris supports using two ip address (wan, lan) for the same profile...standard dahua/hikvsion mobile apps do not..what dt is describing is the standard nat loopback issue common with modem/router combos...they dont support it...
regardless, this would not explain why OP can review recorded video and not live video...something is not adding up..
got ya, I've never used a purpose built NVR box, I started with zone minder and went to blue iris and never looked back, but I guess I better start learning the quirks of these nvr boxes haha. I get it now, should not be too hard to work around. maybe set up two different profiles if they will let you, or only connect on vpn, there's a way around it.