Internet Explorer finally going away

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's not just "unsupported" now; it'll actually stop launching:

Starting Wednesday, those who try to open the application will be directed to the company's more recent browser Microsoft Edge.
Who still has ancient cameras that can only be controlled/configured in IE?

Will they still work in Edge's "IE Mode"?

Not only is Microsoft Edge a faster, more secure and more modern browsing experience than Internet Explorer, but it is also able to address a key concern: compatibility for older, legacy websites and applications. Microsoft Edge has Internet Explorer mode (“IE mode”) built in, so you can access those legacy Internet Explorer-based websites and applications straight from Microsoft Edge.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm assuming it won't stop launching on my win7 installs with updates shut off. Guess I'll find out soon enough. Disabling something that's installed and being used is IMO evil.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
IE works best with IVMS-4200 on my machine. If I use Edge things like playback do not work 100%. One thing is the speed of the play back. I can only run at standard speed without being able to speed things up such as X2 or X4.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We should start a poll on which question is going to show up the most because nobody searches - IE going away or GMAIL not working LOL :lmao:

Here are recent threads about Explorer with some possible solutions....but it appears some cameras will still be problematic not using IE (looking at you the PTZs and make time)

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Still working on three of my Windows 10 machines. More than likely once they receive the next Mother Ship update it will stop working.

Than again, since two of them have no Internet connection they will be fine . . .

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Just checked here, for a laugh. It's past noon on Wednesday and IE still works fine and will continue to do so. I shut off Windows updates long ago on all our machines.

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
I've learned to live without Internet Explorer for the past few months. While I still have a few old cameras that require it, I use the Brave browser in it's place. While I can't view the camera in Brave, I can still make any change to the camera settings in Brave and the changes will save. If I need to view that the changes are correct, I just look at the view from Blue Iris. I don't miss internet Exploder at all. :)

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Six months from now...

"Hey remember the IE days? How'd that saying go... Internet Explorer. The #1 browser used to download a better browser." :lol:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
As a reminder that one of the key things you should do is disable & delete the scheduled task as it relates to Edge. This is one of the primary reasons this stupid thing constantly tries to update / pop up with the annoying banner.

1. Search Bar: Type task scheduler
2. Disable all three Edge scheduled tasks
3. Delete each of the Edge tasks
4. Reboot the computer and validate these three scheduled tasks are gone.

NOTE: Depending upon what Windows 10 release you have this / these tasks may auto regenerate. :facepalm:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Forgot to add disabling the (BITS) background intelligent transfer service is also one of the main services that allow the security patches to over ride the delay / suspend update feature.

You'll know this is true when you have turned off all auto updates on the target machine. Even set it to defer for 30 plus days yet you will see the infamous pending update when you go to shut down the machine! :angry:

Killing the BITS service will prevent that from happening along with the other recommended steps.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
It's Thursday and I'm still able to pull up IE on my work computer. I can't control the update settings on that machine (our IT department does), but there is a specific work related program/website that I can only access with IE, so it better continue working for a while!

gansle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just went in to adjust day night profile settings and my IE tab is still working. I still have windows 10. It keeps asking to upgrade to edge and windows 11 but i close out those tabs.