Internet Speeds: What do you have?

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What do you have at your home? And what do you use it for?

When we moved to our house 3 years ago on the outskirts of town we barely escaped disaster. At the time, satellite was the only option. After a few phone calls with Buckeye Cable (Ohio) we found out that we were about 1,500ft outside of town farther than the last person on their line. They said hey, no problem we'll extend the line out to you. This was fantastic news as I've always been happy with Buckeye.

We don't have a home phone line or cable TV, but there's only my wife and I who each have cell phones and we stream all of our "TV" from Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, ect. We rarely watch TV. Usually a few TV shows during the week and maybe a movie or two on the weekends.

When we got Buckeye cable, we asked what the absolute cheapest option was. My thought was if that wasn't enough we could upgrade the following month. At the time the plan we were on wasn't even advertised.

We were paying $34.99 for 6Mbps down /1Mbps up and 110GB data (Paying $10/month for an extra 100GB)That included $5/month for modem. Since then we've purchased our own modem which had paid for itself many many times over.

Last year they upgraded us to 10down/1up at no extra charge and we're paying $29.99. With our little streaming it has worked fantastic for us so far and we ALWAYS get the advertised speeds.

A friend pays for 100Mbpsdown/5up with 2TB data and he usually gets between 25-80Mbps speeds and comes close to 1TB data (4 family members, 5 fire sticks, 4 household Ipads... He streams a LOT) But he's also in main town. He's paying around $80/month I THINK.

I'm just curious what everyone else has, and more importantly, what the heck to you use it for? I'm interested in upping my upload speeds, but don't want to triple my monthly cost. Especially when we won't come close to using all of the download speeds or allowed data.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Two things to add...
1) I'm interested in upping my upload speed because now that I have a VPN connection to my home network, I've noticed things have slowed down quite a bit from my phone while at work. For example, my phone started updating apps this morning and I timed the speed when connected to VPN, just work WiFi and also on 4G Verizon.

The download on WiFi was around 2Mbps and when I connect to my VPN it slows to 0.1Mbps.

Also, sometimes I want to brows some pictures on my home network. That's a joke. For all practical purposes it is impossible. I'm thinking my home upload speeds are to blame.

2) Last year I overhead two 80 year old couples discussing the price of their internet. They were paying around $100/month and also streamed all of their TV. They didn't have a want or a need for cable TV. I told them about the plan I was on and they seemed excited about it. Hopefully they called and switched... And if they did they could have saved close to $1,000 by now.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Upload speeds can be very limiting. ~1mbps is pretty typical for dsl and 5-10 is pretty common for cable.

I'm eagerly awaiting the roll out of symmetric gigabit ftth

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Syracuse, NY.

Verizon Triple Play with 75/75.

I must be on a clean segment because I typically get 85/90. My upload speed is higher than the download.

It's advertised at $79.99/month but all in, Verizon gets @210 a month for FIOS TV/Internet/Digital Phone.

I'm about to move up to 150/150 for the same price, a new dual band AC gateway and a 2 year commitment.

I have an automated home with 35 nodes on the network at all times. The Nest products don't use much. I have a couple wifi light switches.

3 TV's get IP addresses, we have 4 iPads, 4 desktops and 3 laptops. 4 smart phones rounds out the list.

Never had a problem with FIOS. I've been with them in Syracuse for 11 years now.

SD

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
80/15 Comcast Business w/a Dozen Static IP's.. ~$150/mo

Both me and my wife work from home and consume tons of data; I also host several servers out of the house that I had been paying for external hosting with.. Wish I could get Fiber Service.

Screenshot 2017-03-07 14.32.51.jpg

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@nayr, you have all the cool shit........... That's what's included with Ubiquiti hardware? I just put two access points on the 1st and 2nd floors and I wish i would have known about them before I did. Oh well.

I picked up a Microsemi PD-9012D/AC on Ebay this morning for $100.

Psyched.

SD

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its the Ubiquiti USG thats doing that, I route traffic through it and it does the analysis.. quite convoluted how I got it setup but it works well.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have Spectrum cable, used to be Time Warner.

I was just looking at my data usage.
Dec and Jan, when my oldest was home from college, usage 200-300 gb per month.
When she's not home, less then 100 gb per month :)
But I finally got netflix, so usage for March is already over 100 gb.

Data is unlimited, paying $60 per month.

I remember measuring the down speed at 70, but I'll need to check up speeds because I don't remember that one.

Randy

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, boo-hoo all you guys!
Here in this part of rural Alabama I've got CenturyUNLink with 3.5M down / .573M up, it's data only , no voice, costs me $77 a month with taxes!
It IS a step above 2 tin cans with string.
Now I'm all sad.:(
I KNEW I shouldn't have read this thread.
(Walking away, muttering unintelligible words, growling at the dog)

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have AT&T DSL. 18M down, 1.5 or 2 up for $50/mo.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
80/15 Comcast Business w/a Dozen Static IP's.. ~$150/mo

Both me and my wife work from home and consume tons of data; I also host several servers out of the house that I had been paying for external hosting with.. Wish I could get Fiber Service.

View attachment 15919
I'm a little surprised it says Ooma is the usg miscategorizing your voip traffic? I thought you were all about your own Asterisk/FreePBX setup. What's your favorite VoIP provider that includes voicemail? Impressive bandwidth usage.

Last edited:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I get about 80/15 on Comcast, $43 a month, looks like I've got a 1TB limit, my average is around 400GB, we stream everything.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Tested this morning, only getting 30/6 :(

I did notice a pretty large difference in results, depending on which website I tested with. Google reported a very low number, and no surprise, Spectrum cable the highest number.

Oh, and I was on wifi when I tested, not sure if that had any affect.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Optimum Online, too...usually get higher speeds than this.