Intro

Rich.L

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I am looking to get some advice to design and install a wired security camera system at a new construction house. With out knowing too much about system design, I had our builder install 12 cat 5e cables for security cameras around the house and run them all to a closet that we plan on using for all of our A/V and connectivity projects.

After reading through the wiki and several other posts I am looking at doing a Blue Iris PC build but still need some assistance on how robust of a machine to build. Meaning do I need an 8 core i7 processor or can I get by with something a little less powerful. Ideally I would like to handle 30 days of storage and of course Iam going to want to utilize the app for remote viewing of the cameras.

I still need advice on the cameras as there are tons of camera options but I am not sure what will best suit my needs. All of the cameras are going to be about 8-10 ft off the ground based on the prewire. Ideally I want a camera that has the best combination of day and night capabilities to support bad guy identification.

Looking forward to getting some additional information from you guys to get my plan finalized and executed.

Rich

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I am looking to get some advice to design and install a wired security camera system at a new construction house...

All of the cameras are going to be about 8-10 ft off the ground based on the prewire. Ideally I want a camera that has the best combination of day and night capabilities to support bad guy identification.
Welcome @Rich.L

8-10 feet high is typically too high for many cameras to provide the coverage you may image to help ID suspects.

I would highly recommend at this time buying a good IP PoE varifocal camera ( like a 2MP Dahua OEM starlight model ) and a POE power source and testing the possible placement locations.

If you're still able to get cabling done easily ( i.e. the walls have not yet been closed up ) then I highly recommend jumping on this right away as often there's a lot of misunderstanding of the ability and limits of security cameras by people new to them. ( I know I had a lot to learn ... )

Rich.L

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Welcome @Rich.L

8-10 feet high is typically too high for many cameras to provide the coverage you may image to help ID suspects.

I would highly recommend at this time buying a good IP PoE varifocal camera ( like a 2MP Dahua OEM starlight model ) and a POE power source and testing the possible placement locations.

If you're still able to get cabling done easily ( i.e. the walls have not yet been closed up ) then I highly recommend jumping on this right away as often there's a lot of misunderstanding of the ability and limits of security cameras by people new to them. ( I know I had a lot to learn ... )
Everything is closed up and the locations are pretty much fixed at this point (lesson learned for our next build).

I am strongly considering Ubiquiti products for networking and to provide POE to the cameras. My main focus right now is to determine what cameras to get as I think that will drive most of the other related decisions.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Everything is closed up and the locations are pretty much fixed at this point (lesson learned for our next build).

I am strongly considering Ubiquiti products for networking and to provide POE to the cameras. My main focus right now is to determine what cameras to get as I think that will drive most of the other related decisions.
Hi @Rich.L

Remember to check that what ever POE power sourcing equipment you pick up supports the IEEE specs for POE.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I am looking to get some advice to design and install a wired security camera system at a new construction house. With out knowing too much about system design, I had our builder install 12 cat 5e cables for security cameras around the house and run them all to a closet that we plan on using for all of our A/V and connectivity projects.

After reading through the wiki and several other posts I am looking at doing a Blue Iris PC build but still need some assistance on how robust of a machine to build. Meaning do I need an 8 core i7 processor or can I get by with something a little less powerful. Ideally I would like to handle 30 days of storage and of course Iam going to want to utilize the app for remote viewing of the cameras.

I still need advice on the cameras as there are tons of camera options but I am not sure what will best suit my needs. All of the cameras are going to be about 8-10 ft off the ground based on the prewire. Ideally I want a camera that has the best combination of day and night capabilities to support bad guy identification.

Looking forward to getting some additional information from you guys to get my plan finalized and executed.

Rich
Welcome.
Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk
If you want audio: Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE | IP Cam Talk
If audio isn't needed: Review-dahua-ipc-hdw2231rp-zs-starlight-camera-varifocal
You want to know who did it, not just what happened. Any cam above 8ft will have a tough time giving you a face ID.