Ip Cam and Network help needed

GreenMidas

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Im a complete noob when it comes to ip cameras, but have experience in software and computers.

My problem is that the place i do some it stuff for needs one or two ip cameras installed to the wall/ ceiling, but they only have a router in the shop, no pc, nothing else. The speed is 100mbit/s so fast enougth, but i would need to be able to set the camera up with my laptop and then somehow connect it to the office through a vpn tunnel or other, but i have no idea about which software to use and which cameras work with this sort of problem.

His requirements are as follows:
-Day/night -vision
-Able to record and save 24/7 on the office server
-Remote acces/ live viewing through pc and/ or android/iphone
-Timestamp

The area to be covered is not really too big, its about 10x10 meters so i think one camera would suffice.

The camera should not be too expensive, even if this means cutting back on some requirements.

I know some of these questions will already be answered, but i could not find anything like this with a few quick searches on the forum so im going to ask here and hope some of you can help me out. :)

Thanks a lot and have a great day,
GreenMidas

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Use a nice 4 channel Dahua HD-CVI DVR and one or two nice Dahua HD-CVI cameras. Network the DVR and sit back and enjoy. You can now get some pretty nice HD cameras in CVI for about $50.

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If "-Able to record and save 24/7 on the office server" is a literal requirement, then the NVR wouldn't be an option. If the server is offsite (remote access), then you will need to setup a vpn between the 2 lans. Once you have that site to site vpn rolling, all you need is a camera that can record to a network drive. To fulfill the remote access... he can just use the vpn to remote access the camera (so setup the server end on site). Dahua starlight turret is a safe bet, but if you need ID at 10meters, you'll need to zoom in... therefore may need more than 1.