IP Cam Audio Recording Legal

Spaceboy

n3wb
Reaction score
Is it legal to record audio with the IP cam in a retail store in Texas? I tried looking it up, but couldn't find a definitive answer...

What I found is that I could have employees sign a consent, but for random customers... I think maybe a sign on the front window.

I was trying to find it in Texas Law / Labor Force area.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Looks like is legal to me, but someone else may know further. I'm going off of information in this document:

http://www.rcfp.org/rcfp/orders/docs/RECORDING.pdf

Which I got from this link: http://www.rcfp.org/reporters-recording-guide

Specifically in Texas it says "The law, however, does not criminalize the use of recording devices for other purposes in areas to which the public has access or there is no reasonable expectation of privacy (i.e., filming conversations on public streets or a hotel lobby)."

I would personally say there is no reasonable expatiation of privacy in a retail store, but who knows whats reasonable to others lol?

dalepa

Reaction score
But why would you want recording in the first place? To listen in on private conversations about how crappy the store service is maybe...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It is legal in the vast majority of states that are one party consent for recording as you are usually recording in a "public place" in businesses at least. For stores audio can be nice as you can hear whats said and if you were really lucky maybe grab a name in a robbery from a partner or something.

I wish I had audio in a couple of break ins as you know they know each other, they are waling around in front of a camera for 15 minutes, surely a name or two is thrown around right? I've got faces but a name or two to go with them would surely help the cops? Depends on the department I guess, some are all over footage and others will basically do nothing with footage.

Spaceboy

n3wb
Reaction score
But why would you want recording in the first place? To listen in on private conversations about how crappy the store service is maybe...

Lol no, the store's not that big... I can hear that good enough ahahah...

No, it's for court if we ever have to go because someone either lies about being in the store and signing financial papers or says they weren't there to make that purchase (which has happened even though the customer was ID'd). Now we take even more precautions... This is just another form of protection and since I'm putting cams up anyway, may as well have audio right?

We have also had an employee steal from us, so it's nice to have audio in case it helps us know what the heck is going on in the warehouse while we pay them... Nothin' like paying people to steal from ya behind your back or talk on the phone all day, if you know what I mean.... We have a cam in the break room... I'm not a dick to watch them like a hawk... I don't have time for it, but when something big comes up missing... It will be nice to have the ability to review some footage.

One time a customer walked in and swung their kid around and broke a $200 vase and blamed it on an employee... We kicked them out, but it would have been nice to show them doing it.

By the way... We're big on customer service with five stars on yelp, google, and 4.5 on fb... Small family furniture store... Just don't want to be stolen from anymore and if anything real goes down, I want it on film... I've had to kick about six people out since I've been there in two yrs. We'd have less problems if we didn't do layaway lol retail is fun times :D

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score

Or people talking about how they are going to steal stuff, or rob the place. Then if they do you have them recorded talking about it, if you don't like being recorded, don't go into the store, that's what I say. If ya ain't doin nothin wrong, ya ain't got nothin to worry about. It's a person's store, not your back yard.