IP cam for sporting events????

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Since this seems to be the place where I find the most informed people on the ip cams I thought I'd see if anyone could answer a question I have. I am looking for an IP cam that I could use for sporting events. It would not necessarily need to be PTZ but zoom is a must. They sell some that I could use with my TriCaster but they are costing over $3000 and I don't want to spend near that much if I can help it. If anyone would know the answer to this question, I figured it would be someone on this forum for sure. Thanks.

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
I use a PTZ for sporting events, but it is a unique set up. I have used a standard mount and it worked fine for action in front of you but I have found a vehicle mount PTZ works best.
It is a venture that was pretty costly.

20160508_162713_resized.jpg 4k.JPG

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have enough cameras around the field or on the court that a PTZ is probably not necessary unless I can find one for a good price. A good zoom cam would work just fine. Any ideas on a model that someone thinks would work?

gmaster1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I use a couple of Dahua Starlights as ancillary 1080p feeds from venue stages, runways, etc for that fun angle to cut to every so often. I wouldn't really rely on them as primary ever, but I'm working with about a second and a half of delay that I don't get from SDI/HDMI inputs to the stream server. That's your major issue here with RTSP feeds going into production software. You'll have to just make sure to watch your syncs and the fact that almost every IP camera will have some type of varying buffer lag to it so it may not always be the same sync throughout an event. Your software may correct that, but sometimes it's simply not up to the software as it's an attribute of the camera.

A while ago I built a little production box for live events. All IP Cameras / PoE things / HDMI / SDI inputs go into the rear patch panel for ease of setup. From there everything else is tuned and ready to rock. It was built to work with 4G LTE back-haul but has multi-WAN capability. There's even a dedicated encoder that streams audio to radio stations. :D