IP Cam Recommendations for Small Business

JoeHynie

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there,

Looking at security cameras for a small business. They need 4 in total, 1 being an outdoor camera, powered via PoE. Any recommendations for cameras to use, dome vs turret etc and also PoE switch and NVR hardware. Possible hardware I've considered below:
  • IPC-HDW2320R-Z Turret Camera
  • IPC-HDBW1320E Dome Camera
  • Dahua NVR (unsure which model)
  • UniFi Managed PoE 150W switch
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Looking at security cameras for a small business. They need 4 in total, 1 being an outdoor camera, powered via PoE. Any recommendations for cameras to use, dome vs turret etc and also PoE switch and NVR hardware. Possible hardware I've considered below:
Get the starlight 1080 turret for outdoors..170--superior night vision
You can go with the cheaper dahua turrets indoors ...98 dollars will get you a motorized varifocal 3mp turret
You dont need to spend the cash on the unifi switch...Amazon.com: ZyXEL 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Web Managed PoE Switch with 60 Watt Budget [GS1200-5HP]: Computers & Accessories
lots of threads discussing dahua nvr models.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

JoeHynie

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestions. Do you have a link for starlight 1080 turret? Have read Dahua nvr with built in PoE are noisy, looking at below NVR.
  • DH-NVR4108H-P

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestions. Do you have a link for starlight 1080 turret? Have read Dahua nvr with built in PoE are noisy, looking at below NVR.
  • DH-NVR4108H-P
there is an entire thread on it on the starlight turret...

JoeHynie

n3wb
Reaction score
Unfortunately can't get that camera and currently out of stock on aliexpress. Will use 3 of these indoors (IPC-HDBW2320RP-ZS) and 1 of these outdoors (HDW2320RP-Z) unless anyone else recommends something different. All connected to Dahua 4208P4K.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unfortunately can't get that camera and currently out of stock on aliexpress. Will use 3 of these indoors (IPC-HDBW2320RP-ZS) and 1 of these outdoors (HDW2320RP-Z) unless anyone else recommends something different. All connected to Dahua 4208P4K.
It should be back in stock in the next 2-3 weeks, I think it's worth the wait.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hi there,

All based on the project budget, HDW2320R-ZS already very nice. HDBW1320E should be ok ,NVR you can use a NVR4208 or NVR4216 is enough.

JoeHynie

n3wb
Reaction score
Due to availability and time I've narrowed it down to these two cameras. Could mix and match or go with same model for all 4, one needing to be outdoors. Not sure if varifocal or fixed lens is the way to go considering spec differences (H.265 vs H.264, 4MP vs 3MP etc etc).

IPC-HDW4431EM-AS and IPC-HDW2320R-ZS

ARLan

n3wb
Reaction score
I just received a IPC-HDW2320R-ZS yesterday. I ordered it from Andy at Empire Technology through Paypal last Tuesday. It arrived Friday DHL but I wasn’t home to sign for it so I had to sit through the weekend until Monday to get my hands on it. That’s fast! Good service from Andy!

I’ve owned several fixed lens cameras and after reading all the great reviews for the Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) I had to try one out, but none were in stock. So, I decided to forgo the low light feature of Starlight and order the HDW2320R-ZS to play with the Varifocal feature.

I love it! You get 2.7-12mm of zoom to work within. Even if you set the zoom and forget it, you’re not paying a lot more to get your field of view perfect. A fixed lens risks missing an area of interest or the field of view could be too wide to identify people. Also, you can change your mind and move the camera to a new spot that may require a different field of view. I will say that the night vision of this camera is nothing like the comparisons with the starlight cameras so if you need to see in low light outside, wait for sure!

I will be buying several more cameras to keep an eye over acres of land so from now on, both low light performance and zoom are a priority for me. +1 for Starlight!