IP Cam with ONVIF: how to get Snapshots

binderth

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there,

I bought a chinese IP Cam (IPC - U1 PTZ H.264 960P Waterproof Outdoor Bullet WiFi Security IP Camera 2.8 - 12mm Auto Focus Manual Varifocal Lens EU PLUG-$117.4 Online Shopping| GearBest.com).
It came without a manufacturer name and without a manual other than how to install the Cam with an App.

What I'd like to do:
1. hook the cam up to my network (already done - works)
2. let my raspberry pi make regular snapshots (almost done - only 'mobile picture resolution')
3. let my raspberry pi move to PTZ presets

ad 1:
camera works (I can go into the administration, it says "IP Camera" only)
I can also change the configuration and see live streams

ad 2:
The camera doesn't offer (or I don't know how?) an direct API other than ONVIF, I guess...
I managed to use python-onvif and got connection to the camera (but I'm clueless on how to use ONVIF for a snapshot...)
but I managed to retrieve an URL for an snapshot (unfortunately it's the "mobile picture resolution" - 640x385, which is not the 960p resolution, the IP cam is capable of)
I'd like to adress the hires snapshot

ad 3:
If I have the ability to adress the snapshot, I'd also like to move the camera to positions (either per presets or per coordinates, I don't mind - this one is the hardest, I don't know how to begin with this in the first place...

Thanks for your help!

Thomas.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can get WAY better cameras for that same price. The best advice I can give you would be to return those or sell them on ebay and buy better cameras like Dahua HDW4231EM-AS
You'll get an image that's an order of magnitude better and a documented API.

binderth

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the tipp! but unfortunately, the IP camera is already installed (at a remote place) and I cannot easily replace it now.
There must be a way to adress the camera via ONVIF - and via Scripting Interface like bash, python or the like?

thanks!