IP Camera cabling

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have purchased 50m of cat6 stranded cabling for my CCTV, I am using cat 6 so I am ready for the future or May at some point remove a camera and add a pc. Anyway, I have been reading online about CCA Copper clad aluminium, I have been hearing it's quite not a good choice.

im after 100 m of cat 6 cabling. Does anybody have any ideas if I should still use the cat6 stranded CCA Cabling or purchase better quality cabling

if so where from?

any ideas will be great

kind regards

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have purchased 50m of cat6 stranded cabling for my CCTV, I am using cat 6 so I am ready for the future or May at some point remove a camera and add a pc. Anyway, I have been reading online about CCA Copper clad aluminium, I have been hearing it's quite not a good choice.

im after 100 m of cat 6 cabling. Does anybody have any ideas if I should still use the cat6 stranded CCA Cabling or purchase better quality cabling

if so where from?

any ideas will be great

kind regards
Dont use the cca...buy copper cable...also make sure its solid not stranded.

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. Isn't stranded usually used by rj45 crimps? I forgot to mention the cabling will be going under the floorboards.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. Isn't stranded usually used by rj45 crimps? I forgot to mention the cabling will be going under the floorboards.
No, you can crimp both stranded and solid cable..I think there may be a terminology issue here. All ethernet cable has 4 twisted pairs (8 small wires total)...each of those wires can be stranded or solid. Stranded is used for short patch cables because they are less likely to break due to movement. Solid is used for long runs because they conduct better. Here is an example..the orange cable is stranded
https://cdn.sparkfun.com/assets/7/f/6/7/9/5138de3cce395f3c1d000001.JPG

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The specifications are ok...I dont know that I would trust a random ebay vendor...I dont know who the reliable suppliers are in the uk...

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have decide to go with the cat6 solid pure copper option. What are the main drawbacks or cat6 stranded CCA? I'm asking as I have a 100m reel of it which I don't think I'm going to use.

johngalt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Trusted cabling manufacturers - Belden, Berk-Tek, General Cable, Mohawk, Superior Essex, Commscope/Systimax, Hitachi, Tyco, Panduit (OEM'ed by General)

iharley

n3wb
Reaction score
I use belden datatwist 350, more work to install the rj45 plugs, but much better rating than say bertek.

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use belden datatwist 350, more work to install the rj45 plugs, but much better rating than say bertek.
I know this is an old thread but just wanted to know why is there more work to install the rj45 plugs when using belden datatwist cable? Thanks