IP Camera company wants my password. Am I safe?

badger_

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello. The PC software (P2P Client-v6.5.0.2) I'm using to display the feed from my IP camera (2021 Chortau brand) is displaying the feed fractured, although the camera itself is fine (confirmed through my phone's feed). Both the power and ethernet are hard-wired. I've contacted the company I got the camera from, and they want my camera's UID and password to test the feed on the same software. Is it ok to give them the password? Is the rest of my network safe?

I want the feed going through my PC (Windows 10), that's what the issue is.

Thank you.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
they want my camera's UID and password to test the feed on the same software.
Presumably you could change the password to something temporary.

Is it ok to give them the password? Is the rest of my network safe?
It sounds like you are using some P2P software, (edit or remote access to the PC?) which allows inbound access to the camera.
In theory, and in practice if camera vulnerabilities are exploited, the camera could be used as a foothold into the LAN it's connected to.
Whether it's a safe activity would be pure guesswork as there's no information to make an assessment.

badger_

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. And I apologize for not providing much technical info (didn't think I'd get a response).

Yes, it is P2P software (P2P Client-v6.5.0.2) on an up-to-date Windows 10 PC. The camera is a 2021 Chortau brand, outdoor, wireless camera (although I have it hard-wired, both power and ethernet).

As you already suggested, I was going to change the password once their work with it was done, but I am unfamiliar with techniques used to access LANs through IP cameras (nothing much on the 'net about it either.

Regardless, thank you very much for your response, and Merry Christmas!!!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello. The PC software I'm using to display the feed from my IP camera is displaying the feed fractured, although the camera itself is fine (confirmed through my phone's feed). I've contacted the company I got the camera from, and they want my camera's UID and password to test the feed on the same software. Is it ok to give them the password? Is the rest of my network safe?

I want the feed going through my PC, that's what the issue is.

Thank you.
If you scanned a QR code with an app on your phone or entered a UID number, you're likely operating via P2P, meaning your feed goes up to their "cloud" (server) then back down to your PC or phone for display.....which means giving them your p/w is probably only a tad less secure than the way it was BEFORE you gave them the password. </end sarcasm> :blankstare: