IP camera multi-stream to QNAP and broadcast

mr2nut123

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am wanting to document a car build that I'm about to start, and would love to be able to have the cam record to a local QNAP in HD, but then also broadcast a stream to something like YouTube or uStream etc. Are there any cameras that you could recommend that will allow me to do this?

I'd like the camera to constantly record to the QNAP for security, but then be able to enable the second feed to an online stream for viewers to see.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Welcome.

You probably will end up splitting the tasks.

Have QNAP do the surveillance. Then get whichever setup camera & equipment for live broadcasting.
See compatible gear: https://ustream.zendesk.com/entries/21537123-Ustream-recommended-encoders

Unless, you just want to push videos to the cloud (youtube, etc) then you can pull in the recorded surveillance h264 mp4 files (hopefully) into your video editor of choice to trim, mix, etc save & publish. Maybe put one or two surveillance cameras on tripods or movable brackets to get some close action footage. So it isn't just footage from four corners of the garage ;)

mr2nut123

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome.

You probably will end up splitting the tasks.

Have QNAP do the surveillance. Then get whichever setup camera & equipment for live broadcasting.
See compatible gear: https://ustream.zendesk.com/entries/21537123-Ustream-recommended-encoders

Unless, you just want to push videos to the cloud (youtube, etc) then you can pull in the recorded surveillance h264 mp4 files (hopefully) into your video editor of choice to trim, mix, etc save & publish. Maybe put one or two surveillance cameras on tripods or movable brackets to get some close action footage. So it isn't just footage from four corners of the garage ;)
Cheers for the reply. So what I proposed isn't possible? I need to really have a cam that records 24/7, then another one to enable broadcasts when I'm ready?

Is there a cam that has a button on it which will allow me to quickly start/stop the broadcast to youtube or u stream with having to Web into the cam and having to load up a pc/laptop?

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, I'm not an expert. So, don't think of it as not possible. Just from what I have seen on the subject, that there are two different fields that haven't connected yet.

On one hand you have ip cam surveillance, multiple cams, recording to a network video recorder; these days with the abolity to log in over the internet.

On the other hand there's live streaming. Can be done with a webcam and computer to an online service. Or goes higher quality pretty quick.

Then there's publishing of trimmed, edited footage after the fact. Makes it a lot easier and more entertaining for people to watch a the highlights at leisure and not live every blow by blow. Who's going to sit in for hours on end?

Maybe the question could be raised to ustream about live streaming from a surveillance camera. I'm with you that a ip cam is a digital camera just like a webcam, it is connected to the network, you just need the video packets to go into a service that will allow restreaming live to multiple viewers. Could be pretty simple, but I don't know that it has been done. There 's that little difference between a directly attached camera that is seen as a peripheral device on a computer ... and a remote network device.

.... I'd check with ustream for instance. If their software can grab a surveillance stream and pass it along.