ip camera over home wiring

Ekki

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I´ve been looking around in this forums. But I did not find anything about "ip camera over house wiring".
It`s a fine thing I´m using,
a good thing between buildings on same ground without cables or wlan,
or within one building the same.

Is there nothing like this?.
I´m using "powerline" with up to 1.200 mbs.

Thanks
Ekki from Germany

rnatalli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
1.2Mbps isn't much bandwidth unless you meant 1.2MB/s which isn't tons, but enough to run some IP cameras. I actually run my cameras through powerline using AV2 MIMO adapters that get about 180Mbps even passing through an arc breaker in the electrical panel.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Having tried it myself to put some cameras on my shed. It's absolutely rubbish. Worse than Wifi.

Even when the connection says 300Mbps it was struggling with 8Mbps max bitrate. In the end I only ran one camera at 2Mbps.

Whatever the connection speed it says is a complete lie.

pkbristol

n3wb
Reaction score
Having tried it myself to put some cameras on my shed. It's absolutely rubbish. Worse than Wifi.

Even when the connection says 300Mbps it was struggling with 8Mbps max bitrate. In the end I only ran one camera at 2Mbps.

Whatever the connection speed it says is a complete lie.
What is the condition of your electrical wiring ?
I presume the first mains internet plug ( the master) is in your house and the slave is in the shed.
What's between the 2 plugs ? From your house consumer unit is the shed on it's own circuit breaker ? Or is the shed powered from a fused connection unit from one of the house circuits ?
Maybe even via a garage consumer unit ?
Is the shed powered from an extension lead plugged into another circuit off a spur etc ? ( I've seen all this and worse, i'm an electrician).

Paul.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As a test I got some really thick wire (I can't remember but I think 10mm, stuff used for 20kW solar installs) and the Powerline said 1200Mbps, awesome I thought. I connected to the NVR's gigabit port and I started getting the stuttering that everyone who doesn't understand says is cos the E-series can't cope with 4MP cameras. Unplug and connect a Cat5e and stuttering is gone.

E-series bandwidth is 160Mbps, so even though 1200Mbps connect speed with the new wire, I couldn't even get 160Mbps, this was for 5 cameras so probably only needed 50Mbps. It's so unreliable.

To the garage it's on the same rings main as downstairs (about 20 years old) but only a 1.5mm cable from there to shed. It's not the best but the fact I can't use 3Mbps is a complete joke.

I know it's hit or miss but if you use Powerline then I'd get 2Mbps 2MP H265 cameras. Which does make recording a bit of an issue at the moment.

Edit: Should say house generally connects between 300 and 600 without that fat fat cable.

pkbristol

n3wb
Reaction score
So, house consumer unit>ground floor ring> (what connection here ?)>garage consumer unit>fused connection unit> shed (via 1.5mm cable), so basically you've got an extension lead from the garage to the shed, and a small extension lead at that (1.5mm). So the signal is going through numerous consumer units (fusebox for the old guys), possibly numerous fused connection units then along a undersized extension lead.
I experimented on a similar set up in someone elses house except there was a 6mm cable going from garage to workshop,master plug in workshop,slave in garage ok, slave in house ok, slave in house conservatory didn't want to play nicely at all.
So, master in garage, so in theory in middle of electrical installation, conservatory slave then worked.
In the house i plugged a laptop in a slave, did a speedtest, 22meg, in the conservatory via a fused connection unit 6 meg. Virgin media paying for 100/6, and i get it that the router or wireless. With this setup i can stream movies from laptop (server) in the garage, (laptop plugged into router), to all 3 tv's at the same time, HD movies, no buffering, or swap to BBC iplayer etc.

Paul.

Last edited by a moderator:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't know what the ring mains cable is. But the 1.5mm is only slightly better than an extension lead cable if I understand it right. It's only going to a shed I don't need 50A in there, just a light, radio and 2x 10W IP cameras.

Only one consumer unit and on the same ring mains so no fuse. I don't think the powerline units I have have a master and slave, that was the older ones.

pkbristol

n3wb
Reaction score
The socket circuit will be 2.5mm, probably protected by a 32 amp mcb. The extension lead will be 2.5mm cable also.
You're correct that you don't need a big cable going to the shed, however with cable length volts go down and amps go up (known as voltage drop) over distance, i presume that the cable running to the shed is protected by a fused connection unit with a 13 amp fuse, a 1.5 mm cable can take in the region of 17 amps (depending on how it's installed), however like i said cable length, volts go down amps go up, which is why a cable of size x can only be a certain maximum length if protected by a certain size fuse, after that the fuse/circuit breaker needs to be down rated or the cable uprated.
Anyway, i'm sure you didn't come here for an electrical lesson.
Re master and slave, you're correct. there is no master and slave, i just talk that way because people then understand what i'm saying, ie ethernet lead to 1st plug, i call that the master plug, it just makes the system easier to understand.

Paul.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yep is 32A MCB. Yes, there is a 13 amp fuse on the way out to the shed.

Still recommend using Cat5e where you can. It's not difficult to wire that stuff if you can do what you can do!

pkbristol

n3wb
Reaction score
I'd be happy to just get a camera feed in BI, i can't get any camera to work.

Paul.

rnatalli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can't go by what the software is telling you as pointed out already. I always run actual speed tests while plugged into the far adapter. Definitely unpredictable how it will function in any given house, but works in many cases. The newer AV2 MIMO adapters are largely better than the AV1 or even AV2 using only two prongs (SISO). I'm running two 3MP and two 4MP cameras over powerline with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
@rnatalli - just for info
I´m using "powerline" with up to 1.200 mbs.
@Ekki is from Germany, so that number quoted above is 1,200Mbps, a very respectable connection speed, although throughput was unstated.
With an HD IP camera generating around 4 - 8 Mbps traffic, plenty of scope for running a few cameras through.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@rnatalli - just for info
@Ekki is from Germany, so that number quoted above is 1,200Mbps, a very respectable connection speed, although throughput was unstated.
With an HD IP camera generating around 4 - 8 Mbps traffic, plenty of scope for running a few cameras through.
The problem with Powerline is that they quote upto 1,200 but that's not full duplex, so straight away it goes down to 600Mbps cos of the way they implemented it. Still a theoretical maximum. The speeds I got around the house were much slower than the wireless Asus AC66U I have.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/powerline-adapters/netgear-powerline-1200-review-3618686/

You have to divide by ten to get a realistic maximum for most of these adapters. They're 100% not suitable if you are running 8 cameras on an NVR and connecting that from a loft to your Router and want to view all main streams via Firefox. I don't know why people insist on wanting that but they do!

Edit: I think mine are 500s so maybe that is making them even worse.

Ekki

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your answers.
To show, what I´m talking about, the following page:
https://en.avm.de/products/fritzpowerline/

In Germany, we have standard installation on 3 wires in household. one is brown (phase). one is blue (neutral). one is yellow/green (protection).
The Powerline 1000E is using brown and blue, and with "mimo-technic" additional brown and yellow/green to speed up paralell routing for 60-80 %
of speed. Powerconsumption 3 Watt at our 230Volt system. 1000 MBit/s (brutto) are only possible by housecable with those 3 cables.
If you use a multi socket (in Germany very often without the yellow/green protection) you can`t speed up in the written way.
But, as they sell the 500-er series for the same price ........
Two of the 1000E for 85,-- EURO. Why not.

Nice weekend to all.
Ekki

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for your answers.
To show, what I´m talking about, the following page:
https://en.avm.de/products/fritzpowerline/

In Germany, we have standard installation on 3 wires in household. one is brown (phase). one is blue (neutral). one is yellow/green (protection).
The Powerline 1000E is using brown and blue, and with "mimo-technic" additional brown and yellow/green to speed up paralell routing for 60-80 %
of speed. Powerconsumption 3 Watt at our 230Volt system. 1000 MBit/s (brutto) are only possible by housecable with those 3 cables.
If you use a multi socket (in Germany very often without the yellow/green protection) you can`t speed up in the written way.
But, as they sell the 500-er series for the same price ........
Two of the 1000E for 85,-- EURO. Why not.

Nice weekend to all.
Ekki
Fritz is a great brand in Germany. Their routers are really good. If you have amazing wiring you might get "up to" 100Mbps real speed, not connected speed. If you get that fantastic, I wasn't able to get anywhere near that with mine. I haven't checked the link speed but did struggle with a couple of cameras. Maybe one camera on decent wiring would be ok.

Just my experience of this stuff.

Ekki

n3wb
Reaction score
Fritz is a great brand in Germany. Their routers are really good. If you have amazing wiring you might get "up to" 100Mbps real speed, not connected speed. If you get that fantastic, I wasn't able to get anywhere near that with mine. I haven't checked the link speed but did struggle with a couple of cameras. Maybe one camera on decent wiring would be ok.

Just my experience of this stuff.
Hi, after reading this, I went to the computer controlling fritz-powerline and checked the rates....
An 510E sends 42 MBit/s, receives 24 MBit/s
An 540E 40 and 42 MBit/s
An 1000E 72 and 87 MBit/s
All cameras are running fine with this.
My cabels are Cat 6, 6a or Cat 7. Nothing with 5e or so.
The speed of the system seems to be in connection with the "snr" (signal-noise-reducting)of cable and those boxes.
And the frequences (Mhz) each box is running.

It`s good to install the fastest first, because those boxes communicate all the time, when in use.
(They deliver a free program, showing speed and frequenz) called fritz!powerline.
I don`t know if it will work with other adapters.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
OK, is it reporting these numbers or did you test them. Mine was reporting 120MBit/s and yet when tested it was peaking at 20MBit/s, that was the indoor one. I'm thinking a better cable to the shed is required.

Ekki

n3wb
Reaction score
Hm,
the program shows the speed. But when changing the video quality (h.264) it`s speeding up, as I see. And also it`s speeding up when changing from superfast to ultrafast display.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I run two installations with some PLAs giving net to a few cameras each. No huge bandwidth demands yet but they're working reliably for me. One dead adapter over 3 or 4 years. I'd prefer cat 5 but if a PLA works and it saves trenching then it can be a good solution for some situations.

fionamabe

n3wb
Reaction score
Nowadays almost in every house you can see IP cameras. They are gaining popularity rapidly among consumers due to their ever-improving quality, features and declining prices. As I know one of the best and not expensive IP camera is Axis M1034-W and I use it. It costed me $350. I feel safety in the place where I live and this is the most important for me. But when you buy a camera the next question which arises is how to install it. Thanks V1 Fiber I could resolve this question and not to worry about it. This company offers fiber business solutions and I was satisfied with their service. So, maybe they can help you too.

Last edited: