IP camera runs over 350 ft

CCTV954

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 3 IP cameras to install that are 400, 560 & and 700ft away from my POE HIK NVR. I have never done an install where the cameras are this far away. Can someone please explain the best way to achieve this? I usually install these types of systems with one dedicated wire from the camera to each channel on the nvr which powers up the cam via POE. But now with these distances im concerned about power issues and data lag. The obvious answer that came to my mind was to put a POE switch in between but if I do this how does each individual wire get back to each port on the NVR. How does the NVR know which channel each camera is on with a switch in between if there is only 1 cat6 wire uplink to the poe switch.

Thanks

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
There are cameras that will go out to about 800 feet, the Dahua ePoE line. Other alternatives are ethernet "extenders" or use a dedicated, point to point, WiFi link like a Ubiquity Nano Loco M2. The Loco will actually go over a kilometer with more than enough throughput for three cameras. Price wise, it's probably the least expensive, and easiest, way to go at under $150. You would need power an a small PoE switch along with it though.

CCTV954

n3wb
Reaction score
There are cameras that will go out to about 800 feet, the Dahua ePoE line. Other alternatives are ethernet "extenders" or use a dedicated, point to point, WiFi link like a Ubiquity Nano Loco M2. The Loco will actually go over a kilometer with more than enough throughput for three cameras. Price wise, it's probably the least expensive, and easiest, way to go at under $150. You would need power an a small PoE switch along with it though.
Thanks for you quick reply. your suggestion is appreciated but here is where i keeps getting lost or confused. If i go the route of nano wifi the setup would basically be the 3 cameras and the nano connected by the poe switch which then transmits wireless back to the location of the nvr the nano on the receiving end. Where does the connection from the nano on the receiving end go at this point? there has to be something to split the 3 ip camera connections back to a wired connection to each port on the nvr right?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not an NVR users, BI recongizes strictly by IP, but I'm betting an NVR would work the same way. Maybe another NVR user will chime in. Three streams, with three distinct IP addresses, should be recognized by the NVR, which basically contains a switch itself, as separate cameras.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have 3 IP cameras to install that are 400, 560 & and 700ft away from my POE HIK NVR. I have never done an install where the cameras are this far away. Can someone please explain the best way to achieve this? I usually install these types of systems with one dedicated wire from the camera to each channel on the nvr which powers up the cam via POE. But now with these distances im concerned about power issues and data lag. The obvious answer that came to my mind was to put a POE switch in between but if I do this how does each individual wire get back to each port on the NVR. How does the NVR know which channel each camera is on with a switch in between if there is only 1 cat6 wire uplink to the poe switch.

Thanks
The nvr/switch/cameras are networked devices. You only need a single ethernet connection to the switch. This is basic networking 101, if you are installing this for pay for others you are doing them a disservice as they would expect someone with basic networking knowledge. I shudder to think how these units are secured from the internet.
Or you can homerun using something like this.

CCTV954

n3wb
Reaction score
The nvr/switch/cameras are networked devices. You only need a single ethernet connection to the switch. This is basic networking 101, if you are installing this for pay for others you are doing them a disservice as they would expect someone with basic networking knowledge. I shudder to think how these units are secured from the internet.
Or you can homerun using something like this.
Troll me then offer help? take you response and shove it dude im too stupid for you help. Im sure to get past networking 101 people had to ask questions to things they were not sure bout but AHoles like you don't make it easy.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Troll me then offer help? take you response and shove it dude im too stupid for you help. Im sure to get past networking 101 people had to ask questions to things they were not sure bout but AHoles like you don't make it easy.
The help was aimed at your unfortunate client because I know you will do it anyway. You should NOT be installing anything at this point. You are welcome.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
riiiight.