IP Camera to record go kart racing

Griffo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am hoping someone can give me some idea as to whether any of the IP cameras would be suitable to record go kart racing (max speed 100km/hr).

Our objective is to record the racing so that at the end of each race, if there were any incidents between karts, they can be reviewed by an official straight after the race (or possibly during the race if the incident is severe enough).

Can anyone recommend the minimum sort of camera we should be looking at. Don't need to be able to see every last detail on the kart, more so just identify who is at fault in a collision etc.

I've had a trawl through the forums and can't find a topic close enough to get any advice from, but if I've missed something don't hesitate to point me to a link rather than reinvent the wheel!

8 cameras would probably be enough to cover the parts of the track that need to be covered, with the biggest distance being approx 50 metres from camera to focal point. The track is 8 metres wide.

The furthest camera from the "control tower" could be up to 200 metres away, most will be under 100 metres.

I hope I've given you enough info to work with.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I would recommend any of Hikvision's 3 megapixel cameras. The 2032 in particular is very popular and inexpensive, and it has a small range of lens options available from most sellers. It does not have an integrated microphone, but some other models in Hikvision's lineup do if you need audio.

The distance could be an issue. PoE and ethernet is supposed to work up to 100 meters. Beyond that you will likely have to extend the network by daisy chaining ethernet switches or by using fiber optics or wireless gear from Ubiquiti. For example for about $150 you can link two locations at a stable 100 Mbps with a pair of Ubiquiti NanoStation Loco M5 radios (set to lowest possible output power), assuming you have clear line of sight between and power at both ends. The cheapest option though is likely daisy chaining network switches if you have good sheltered locations to install them along the way to the furthest points.

Griffo

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply bp2008.

Don't need audio so no dramas there. Thanks for the heads up on the distance issue, I'll look into those options you have mentioned to see what will be appropriate.

Great resource this site, have learned so much just trawling through the posts!