IP Camera with smart function ?

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi I was just wondering does ip camera with smart functions like some of the ptz like SD6AL240-HNI have auto tracking and heatmap and stuff does those function still work with Blueiris ? or No ?

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Work with Blue Iris yes... but blue iris does not control these functions. They must be setup on the cameras configuration.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank You For that okay So I guess I got to figure out if Blueiris is better for long run or buyin a NVR I am thinking of buying many Cameras from Andy Already got 3 and going to keep getting more until I cover all of my property. So was debating if I should make it a pc based Or buy a NVR. Because seems like even the POE+ switches are expensive..

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So two things:

1. POE+ switches are not any more expensive then regular POE switches. Most POE+ 4 port switches can be bought on Amazon for around $50 and 8 port for $70
2. I don't know of any NVR that is capable of doing what you are asking.

Sorry if I might not be understanding but I am having a hard time following your English :/

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
So two things:

1. POE+ switches are not any more expensive then regular POE switches. Most POE+ 4 port switches can be bought on Amazon for around $50 and 8 port for $70
2. I don't know of any NVR that is capable of doing what you are asking.

Sorry if I might not be understanding but I am having a hard time following your English :/
Sorry I was not clear I guess because of my English. All I wanted to know earlier was like I am planning to add 24 or so cameras.

What I understand is some of these camera has function which can Do Like Heatmap, AutoTracking, Facial Recognition and so on.

Now what ever those settings are in those cameras need to be configured in camera and then blue iris or NVR will just do the recording correct ?

So Andy did recommend this NVR Model number NVR5224-24P-4KS2

NVR5224 24P 4KS2 24Channel 1U 24PoE 4K&H.265 Pro Network Video Recorder NVR5224 24P 4KS2 free DHL shipping-in Surveillance Video Recorder from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group.

So is PC better than NVR ? Thats all I want to know Because I am debating whether I should invest in a Good POE+ switch or just get a NVR..

Thank you So much Dasstrum for helping me.

Also I already Have a PC, AND NAS setup with plenty of storage. my PC is i7 4770k which is 4th gen processor 16gb ram. I guess that be enough for Blueiris ?

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok so for the AutoTracking function:
I have a Dahua PTZ camera (I bought from Andy) that is capable of AutoTracking, Tripwire, ect... functions. These settings are setup on the individual camera side settings and not in blue iris. Blue Iris only records the camera feed and has limited control of the camera functions. It CAN control things like the PTZ presets and such.

As for the heatmap and facial recognition this is something I have not messed around with but it is definitely not something that would be configured on the BI side of things.

I might be bias towards Blue Iris as it is the only camera software I have ever used but I, and many others here, believe it is far superior to any NVR that's out there.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok so for the AutoTracking function:
I have a Dahua PTZ camera (I bought from Andy) that is capable of AutoTracking, Tripwire, ect... functions. These settings are setup on the individual camera side settings and not in blue iris. Blue Iris only records the camera feed and has limited control of the camera functions. It CAN control things like the PTZ presets and such.

As for the heatmap and facial recognition this is something I have not messed around with but it is definitely not something that would be configured on the BI side of things.

I might be bias towards Blue Iris as it is the only camera software I have ever used but I, and many others here, believe it is far superior to any NVR that's out there.
Thank You Dasstrum for a quick reply I think I am going to than stick with blue iris By the way if you don't mind me asking since you already have the PTZ camera with Autotracking if its working great for you can you share the model number of that camera ?