IP Cameras - Outside - Home use - Looking for suggestions

Ron75077

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

I am replacing some old IP cameras and looking for replacements.
I have been playing with a few cameras, lets call it a learning experience. :)
At the point it's time to purchase cameras and install them vs playing with them.

I have played with a couple of Foscam cameras (FI9805E, FI9961EP).
I have no preconceived notions about vendors yet.

I have a few features that are must haves...
IP Camera
POE support
ONVIF
IR
Dome cameras would likely be best
accessible over the web
Sound / motion detection with the ability to send pictures (email)
Good quality pictures in daylight and at night

I understand this leaves a lot of features / options and conversations open but if I knew this subject well I would not be posting this question. Please view this as an opportunity to educate me on features that matter and good vs bad manufactures. Price always matters and this is no exception. Inexpensive is good, cheap is well generally cheap in every aspect... If I can get equal or better for less cost...

Thanks for the help.

ekaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z fits your requirements but no sound detection. I would also go with turrents as domes reflect IR, water spots, spider webs, etc..

ekaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY , he's been great at communication and fast shipping. Just be prepared to wait as it's a very popular camera right now. @nayr did a review on it earlier this year.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
The Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z fits your requirements but no sound detection. I would also go with turrents as domes reflect IR, water spots, spider webs, etc..
Right now no device can detect voice by dahua cams. The turret one is very nice, but we also have to know your budget, this very important too.

Ron75077

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

I don't have a budget. If a you can justify a better camera then....

Ron75077

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I will keep checking... We will start at three and I can add the rest a few weeks after that.
What to get these installed before the cold goes away in Dallas.
No one should be in a Dallas attic in the summer.

Ron516516

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I am replacing some old IP cameras and looking for replacements.
I have been playing with a few cameras, lets call it a learning experience. :)
At the point it's time to purchase cameras and install them vs playing with them.

I have played with a couple of Foscam cameras (FI9805E, FI9961EP).
I have no preconceived notions about vendors yet.

I have a few features that are must haves...
IP Camera
POE support
ONVIF
IR
Dome cameras would likely be best
accessible over the web
Sound / motion detection with the ability to send pictures (email)
Good quality pictures in daylight and at night

I understand this leaves a lot of features / options and conversations open but if I knew this subject well I would not be posting this question. Please view this as an opportunity to educate me on features that matter and good vs bad manufactures. Price always matters and this is no exception. Inexpensive is good, cheap is well generally cheap in every aspect... If I can get equal or better for less cost...

Thanks for the help.
Just did a job the other day I'll send you to the website where you can look at the equipment

Hikvision USA

Ron75077

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks. I appreciate the information. I have a couple of Dlink and Foscam cameras' now. I'm not a newbie but pretty close. I would really like to understand the advantages of one camera vs another. Thanks again! Ron

JoeShmo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A friend of mine who went through quite a few camera vendors, and had a lot fail, or need to be rebooted frequently finally settled on Dahua and Hikvision, as they have been running consistently for a couple years. I have 4 Dahuas and 2 hikvisions outside for the past 6 months, and they are still going strong. I have them mounted under the eves, so not DIRECTLY in the rain...
They are the Dahua HFW-4300S, and Hikvision 2CD2032, both rated for outdoors, have nice IR lighting for night, and 3MP, also both just under $100 on amazon. I recently just bought 3 Dahua HFW1320S 3MP cams from amazon for around $80ea. Havnt installed them yet. They come in 3.6mm and 6mm lenses. Very robust WebUI, which I barely use, as I just point my blueiris at them. BUT, all these cams I mentioned are bullet style, not domes/turrets. I do have a hikvision turret style in the garage I believe its a DS-2CD2335-I (Also on amazon; I love amazon, the next day shipping works nicely for my impulse buying, gotta-have-it-NOW mentality)
All these I believe also do audio, and can FTP and email on motion, but I dont use those features.
Good luck, and have fun! =)

Ron75077

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing information on your setup @JoeShmo i am a fan of Amazon as well. I'm a little disappointed about the wait for Dahua cameras (wish I could get them on amazon...) but they seem to be the right answer for me.

JoeShmo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I also ordered a couple "SavvyPixel" cams for $69, amazon prime, delivered next day Amazon.com : Savvypixel 3 Megapixel Security Bullet Cameras HD 1080p 3mp Network IP Camera Outdoor Poe 3.6mm Lens Day Night IP67 Vandal-proof Weather-proof : Camera & Photo . These seem to be the exact same camera, same firmware, and even same part number as Dahua, so guessing it's just a rebranding. IPC-HFW1320S (This model replaces the discontinued popular 4300S)
All my cams I got from Amazon, except for the latest PTZ that I'm still waiting for; that one was from AliExpress.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Ron75077

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

I was comparing the hdw5231r-z with the hdw5431r-z. The most obvious difference is 2mp vs 4mp.
The number of frames per second for the 2mp camera was twice the 4mp.

The 3 differences I would like to understand / confirm are
- do both support PAL/NTSC?
- does the hdw5431r-z support pan/tilt/rotation?
- the sensor on the hdw5231 is manufactured by Sony. It is unclear who makes the sensor for the 4mp camera.
Is it the same sensor on the 4 mp camera? How significant is the difference in the sensors?

Thanks for the help.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1. This is firmware dependent
2. No
3. No, the 2MP is Starlight and absolutely destroys every 4MP on the market.

Run away from 4MP Cameras; dont waste your time and money with that garbage.. if you want to see em back to back look @ this post

Ron75077

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks you. This helps a lot. The spec sheet for the 4MP camera also mentions it supports Starlight. They might want to fix the data sheet...