IP cams with internal ethernet jack (no flylead)

Reaction score
Hi forum, first post here. Can anyone recommend an IP camera for around the £100 mark, minimum 2MP with 802.3af PoE, ONVIF and integrated IR, where the RJ45 jack is embedded inside the camera rather than on a flylead? Will consider cameras outside of this price range if £100 is unreasonable, but as this is for resedential, it doesn't want to be too expensive.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi forum, first post here. Can anyone recommend an IP camera for around the £100 mark, minimum 2MP with 802.3af PoE, ONVIF and integrated IR, where the RJ45 jack is embedded inside the camera rather than on a flylead? Will consider cameras outside of this price range if £100 is unreasonable, but as this is for resedential, it doesn't want to be too expensive.
Some dahua cameras like the Dahua HDBW5421 have this feature.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
why? you cant really make an outdoor IP66 rated enclosure with such an interface.. your limiting your choices dramatically.

Reaction score
Thanks gents, the Hikvision sounds ideal. I'd already been looking at their bullet cameras and I automatically assumed that the rest of their range was also on flying leads.

Nayr, there's no reason that, if well designed, a camera enclosure can't still maintain a decent IP rating *and* have no flylead. If the face between the RJ45 socket and the internal electronics is potted or otherwise sealed, there's no risk of moisture getting inside the main part of the enclosure. The seal inside the compartment with the RJ45 socket isn't so critical, but it can easily be maintained at an acceptable level with a cable gland or some similar rubber seal.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
those hik's are not IP66 rated though; and ive never seen a camera like you want.. and Ive seen a lot of cameras.. so there is a reason for it.

Reaction score
those hik's are not IP66 rated though; and ive never seen a camera like you want.. and Ive seen a lot of cameras.. so there is a reason for it.
Yes, you're probably right - I imagine most manufacturers use a flylead as it's cheaper and easier to achieve a reliable seal. I could have sworn that I'd seen a camera that fit the bill a couple of years back. I managed to remember the name of the company, it doesn't look like they are still making the exact same model, but they certainly have a couple of outdoor IP cameras, with IR, that have a weathertight RJ45 socket. Unfortunatey they've chosen to use their own proprietary 24V PoE rather than 802.3af, so they won't work with the PoE switch that I've already purchased.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, you're probably right - I imagine most manufacturers use a flylead as it's cheaper and easier to achieve a reliable seal. I could have sworn that I'd seen a camera that fit the bill a couple of years back. I managed to remember the name of the company, it doesn't look like they are still making the exact same model, but they certainly have a couple of outdoor IP cameras, with IR, that have a weathertight RJ45 socket. Unfortunatey they've chosen to use their own proprietary 24V PoE rather than 802.3af, so they won't work with the PoE switch that I've already purchased.
The dahua I mentioned to as well as some other dahuas have the have no pigtails..

hamsoplo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks gents, the Hikvision sounds ideal. I'd already been looking at their bullet cameras and I automatically assumed that the rest of their range was also on flying leads.

Nayr, there's no reason that, if well designed, a camera enclosure can't still maintain a decent IP rating *and* have no flylead. If the face between the RJ45 socket and the internal electronics is potted or otherwise sealed, there's no risk of moisture getting inside the main part of the enclosure. The seal inside the compartment with the RJ45 socket isn't so critical, but it can easily be maintained at an acceptable level with a cable gland or some similar rubber seal.
My Hikvision Darkfighter dome has this feature, no pigtail. The jack is on the board inside the dome.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Axis' P3364 domes also have this feature but, like the Darkfighter, are a bit above his budget ceiling.