Ip conflict vs POE issue

trauts14

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My cam was working. Now it is hit or miss. Sometimes when the page attempts to load (IE for example) I get the popup wanting me to grant access.....other times nothing happens. I need to see if the IR LEDs are on tonight.
With POE issues, would the cam attempt to load or simply be offline due to no/lack of electricity? With IP conflict issues does the cam simply not come online? Thanks for any suggestions on where I should start. I was able to ping it once, and not the next time.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Depending on the make of the camera you could use the manufactures tool to search for the IP address to see if it’s changed. It’s always advisable to set the camera a static IP address. This would help with your IP conflicts should you have any.

For your suspect POE problems, again depending on your switch you could use the built in GUI to view what sort of wattage is being supplied to your camera. I did have to fault find a camera for a client once who was using the wrong ac adaptor with their camera (under powered) and the IR would not switch on yet the camera worked fine.

Fault finding your issues start with basics… Ping (with -t option) the IP address of the camera when the camera works and see if you get any packet drops. If you do, try another cable and repeat to see if it’s a cable issue. If you get the same issues, try repeating the tests again but this time use a power adaptor to power the camera rather than POE. If that fails we may be looking at a camera fault, if it works we may be looking at a switch fault.

trauts14

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i have it set to a static IP. I will try a different POE source and try using a ping with -t option to start with. really weird how it was working, and now sometimes it trys to work and other times nothing. it is a new 2mp turrent from Dahua. im thinking it is something very simple since it was working fine yesterday. thanks for the assistance.

ChengXin

n3wb
Reaction score
Your camera is most likely having issue in auto negotiating the speed/mode and ip addresses with the POE switch. You should be able to see the symptom from the logs files of the camera. Static IP and network mode (e.g 100 mps, full duplex) may just solve it.

trauts14

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. I first need to be able to access the cam in order to check. hopefully with a new power source it will be online so i can check the logs.

trauts14

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The led IR is active on my cam. I did change HTTP port to 6064 or 6063 last week. The cam was live and fine yesterday. I cannot ping it. The Dahua config to will not find the cam (since the cam is on port 6063??). I do not think I changed the HTTPS port. Does anyone know the default HTTPS port the new 2mp turrent from Dahua uses? I am not sure at this point what to troubleshoot next since the cam is not appearing when I enter the static I gave it.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
https is not enabled by default IIRC.. When setting a static IP you have to ensure its outside your DHCP Lease range, or else you actually increase the likely hood of IP Conflicts.. if you use DHCP Entirely IP Conflicts should not be an issue but you should statically map it on the DHCP Server so your NVR dont lose track of it.

trauts14

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Would unplugging every networked device in my house help, or maybe taking the cam to work where only a few items are on the network help? Since the cam was live on the static yesterday, I'm hoping the settings are the same so I can try accessing it locally at work for example. If the cam had a reset button...That would be the path of least resistance. I doubt the settings changed overnight. It is probably a some issue that I cannot figure out how to fix....So I hope.

https is not enabled by default IIRC.. When setting a static IP you have to ensure its outside your DHCP Lease range, or else you actually increase the likely hood of IP Conflicts.. if you use DHCP Entirely IP Conflicts should not be an issue but you should statically map it on the DHCP Server so your NVR dont lose track of it.