IP Equipment Configuration

PSCA

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I am planning to set up four security cameras around the perimeter of my home. My technical skills are limited and I am seeking advice both on my overall plan as well as my equipment selections. My attic has limited access so running wiring is complicated. I plan to purchase POE cameras and run the Ethernet cable to an 8-port 10/100 POE network switch. I would connect the network switch to an Apple Airport Express configured as an extension to my existing wireless home network, which is driven by an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station. I would set up Blue Iris on a spare PC laptop running Windows 7 which I could dedicate to the security cameras. The laptop has a 500 GB hard drive. Is my concept of using the Airport Express as a method to relay the camera data feasible? Does anyone have other suggestions on configuration?

In terms of POE camera equipment, I am considering four options, all with higher resolutions: Lorex LNB2153B HD, Swann HD-820CAM, Hikvision DS-2CD2032, Trendnet TV-IP310PI. All four are relatively inexpensive. I live in the desert and I think that the high heat and intense sun may reduce the expected life of the cameras. My concept is that I can replace the cameras with newer technology if the sun takes its toll on the cameras after a few years. Can anyone offer advice on which cameras to choose and if there are others that I should consider?

Thank you.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I am planning to set up four security cameras around the perimeter of my home. My technical skills are limited and I am seeking advice both on my overall plan as well as my equipment selections. My attic has limited access so running wiring is complicated. I plan to purchase POE cameras and run the Ethernet cable to an 8-port 10/100 POE network switch. I would connect the network switch to an Apple Airport Express configured as an extension to my existing wireless home network, which is driven by an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station. I would set up Blue Iris on a spare PC laptop running Windows 7 which I could dedicate to the security cameras. The laptop has a 500 GB hard drive. Is my concept of using the Airport Express as a method to relay the camera data feasible? Does anyone have other suggestions on configuration?

In terms of POE camera equipment, I am considering four options, all with higher resolutions: Lorex LNB2153B HD, Swann HD-820CAM, Hikvision DS-2CD2032, Trendnet TV-IP310PI. All four are relatively inexpensive. I live in the desert and I think that the high heat and intense sun may reduce the expected life of the cameras. My concept is that I can replace the cameras with newer technology if the sun takes its toll on the cameras after a few years. Can anyone offer advice on which cameras to choose and if there are others that I should consider?

Thank you.
You plan is fine. How many cameras are you running in total? if more than 4-5 then use a gigabit switch or two 4 port 10/100 switches..
All the cameras you listed are clones of each other...specifically, they are all the Hikvision 2032..The 2032 is available for 85 dollars from china...or about 120 -150 in the us with a warranty..note that some US sellers provide a 3 year warranty...if the area you are going to be placing these cams has no light at all you might consider cameras with stronger ir and/our using a 1.3mp or 2mp camera which generally have better night vision (lower lux rating). Also for aesthetics and slightly better night vision consider the hikvision 2332 turret camera.