IP Intercom (two-way talk) and Alarm

trock

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I already have sufficient amount of cameras, however I like the two-way talk and alarm feature of the "Ring Floodlight". I do not necessarily need the camera, so I was wondering if anyone has implemented or know of a product that offers the ability to trigger an alarm or the two-walk feature like the Ring Floodlight product.

Thanks again,

Albert Einstien

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am in the same boat. I have plenty of cameras and Blue Iris, so I purchased the Ring
Floodlight Cam just for the two way audio and siren. The problem with all the other manufacturers of serious cameras is that they only offer two way audio on their indoor cameras. I am not talking about Arlo or that kind of junk, I am talking about IP cameras. And out of those they usually come with a built in mike and only an audio output jack. I wondered why these manufacturers don't have an optional speaker in their product line. I tried looking for outdoor POE intercoms to no avail. I am an electronic engineer and so I built my own weather resistant POE line level speaker that plugs directly into a POE two way audio camera and quickly saw why these manufacturers don't have an optional speaker in their product line. In my case with Trendnet cameras, I found they use full duplex for two way audio. That's a really bad idea. That means both parties can send and receive audio at the same time with no noise cancellation. That means huge feedback issues that spiral out of control when trying to talk, even with the speaker some distance away from the mic. Just really bad engineering. In fact it is totally unuseable. But all that feedback gave me another idea. So my next project was to build a remote controlled siren. Okay, along comes this Ring Floodlight Cam which promises the two way audio and siren, which can be controlled remotely. I too don't really need the camera and lights, this thing is really just to compliment my existing system with the outdoor two way audio and the siren. I will hook it up tomorrow and post my findings.

Last edited:

Albert Einstien

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
UPDATE: So it took a week to dial this thing in. I have to say the Ring tech support is really good. I am not a big fan of most tech support experiences, so this is seriously a very high comment coming from me. The issue for me was unreliable connections. What finally worked was having an access point about 10 feet away from the floodlight. Even their 'Chime Pro' extender did not do it. It made it better, but not completely better. Be aware that even though the app's 'device health' says that the connection signal is strong, and it is online and all is good, it may not necessarily be so. Note that it is a true access point and not an extender that worked. The chime pro was their idea, the AP was mine. But still, their tech guys really do a great job helping, 24/7, believe me, it was shocking. But this is not a review of the floodlight cam so that's enough of that. Cut to the chase. I would not suggest to anyone that this thing is a security system. However, using it to compliment an ip camera surveillance system by now having two way outdoor audio, remote light control and a siren, I have to say to that means it's a pretty darn good addition. I even installed a 2nd one. It is nice to be able to have some interactive control rather than just watching. The unfortunate thing about Ring is that they do not have a published API, so I can not add this to my Blueiris or even see view it with a web browser. They keep all their products proprietary. It's too bad, but it still fills the purpose.

Last edited:

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you have any day \ night video samples you could share?
I'm just curious.