IP8M-2899EW-AI Auto-Tracking

tuta

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys ,

I know this might be stupid but I bought two of these cameras believing they support auto-tracking based on my discussion with the Amcrest Sales team. I don't know if it was a language barrier but my whole intention was the auto-tracking feature.

I know Dahua makes the hardware but couldn't find the matching firmware to upgrade.

Do any of you guys have any idea how to get this feature by upgrading firmware or should I return them?

Cameras: IP8M-2899EW-AI
NVR : NV4416E-AI

Thanks in advance!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sales Teams don't always know what they are talking about.
The Amcrest website does not list any auto tracking capabilities on this camera.
You can't make it autotracking by just a firmware update, the chip needs to be in the camera, and it's not.

tuta

n3wb
Reaction score
Sales Teams don't always know what they are talking about.
The Amcrest website does not list any auto tracking capabilities on this camera.
You can't make it autotracking by just a firmware update, the chip needs to be in the camera, and it's not.
Thank you! Much appreciate the quick response. I will return them but not sure what camera I should buy to have auto tracking in the Amcrest product catalog. Do you have any suggestion?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you! Much appreciate the quick response. I will return them but not sure what camera I should buy to have auto tracking in the Amcrest product catalog. Do you have any suggestion?
Non of them, purchase a full blown camera, Amcrest's are hobbled somewhat to keep the price down.
Two good choices are: Mini PTZ or Speed dome
Or this: PTZ
The speed dome I linked above will do the best at night of the 3.
Currently on sale this weekend.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tuta

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you! Much appreciated. I assume these are your products ? I will buy the Speed Dome but One last question. Can I use the speed dome camera with Amcrest NVR? Also can it auto track while doing tours? 60 degree I can’t cover much , I am trying to create tours and track if it picks any human or car.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you! Much appreciated. I assume these are your products ? I will buy the Speed Dome but One last question. Can I use the speed dome camera with Amcrest NVR? Also can it auto track while doing tours? 60 degree I can’t cover much , I am trying to create tours and track if it picks any human or car.
The links above are Dahua OEM cameras, as is an Amcrest NVR, so it will work with it.

No, they cannot autotrack while on a tour. You have to set up a preset with IVS rules that is for the tracking.

So it has to be sitting on a preset or it won't track.

You also do not want to put an autotracking PTZ on cycle unless you want to replace it every couple of years. They are only good for so many cycles and folks have hit it in under 2 years.

You are better off to use a fixed cam as a spotter cam to tell the PTZ where to look when there is movement and then start tracking from there.