IPC-5231 Boot Loop

Reaction score
I have a 5231 that I ordered from @EMPIRETECANDY about a year and a half ago, which is stuck in a boot loop. The camera properly pings for about a minute then stops responding. I can't get to the web interface at all now.

The issue happens if the camera is powered by PoE or 12VDC (or both and letting the camera choose).

In an attempt to fix it I opened the camera and did a reset with the internal switch. That seemed to fix it for more than 30 minutes so I then did a firmware upgrade to the below, just in case it was a bug, which completed without issue:

The camera, still not screwed back together, was working fine for 30 minutes or so again, so I logged in, went through the initial setup (locale, password, etc), configured the old IP address and did some basic video output settings (VBR, iframe, etc). I didn't configure anything else. It still seemed fine.

I unplugged the power and network from the camera and screwed the case back on. The issue came back, the camera is now unresponsive at port 80 and pings drop about once every minute.

I even stopped the services for Blue Iris and the SunriseSunset tool. I'll try a different network cable to a different switch (I'll keep using the same high quality power brick that runs my other cams fine though) and update if there's any change, but I don't expect to see one.

Is it possible one of the plugs is loose inside, or the desiccant is pushing against the varifocal mechanism or something else?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Update: I removed the screws from the case but left it nearly shut, changed to a different network cable going to a different port on my switch (no PoE budget issues there), and the issue remained.

I reseated the internal connectors I could get to, removed the memory card, and performed another reset. I went through the country/date/password setup and nothing else.

The camera has been reliable for about 15 minutes again. I have Blue Iris started up and recording the video so I can see if/when it goes down.

Last edited:
Reaction score
After four hours with no problems I reinstalled the memory card and closed up the case. I've also powered it via PoE instead of the 12v supply.

The issue has returned so I'll try eliminating the memory card. Has anyone seen that cause this sort of behaviour before? I wouldn't know if the camera complained that the card was failing because it's so inaccessible. Maybe after I remove it, it'll go back to normal and I can dig in to the logs.

Update: removing the MicroSD card (a Lexar model, I thought I had used my preferred Samsung Evo Pro u3) stopped the boot loop. I haven't tested the card yet but I assume it's garbage. There's nothing at all in the camera's log, so it was clearly restarting before it logged to the user-visible log.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
After four hours with no problems I reinstalled the memory card and closed up the case. I've also powered it via PoE instead of the 12v supply.

The issue has returned so I'll try eliminating the memory card. Has anyone seen that cause this sort of behaviour before? I wouldn't know if the camera complained that the card was failing because it's so inaccessible. Maybe after I remove it, it'll go back to normal and I can dig in to the logs.

Update: removing the MicroSD card (a Lexar model, I thought I had used my preferred Samsung Evo Pro u3) stopped the boot loop. I haven't tested the card yet but I assume it's garbage. There's nothing at all in the camera's log, so it was clearly restarting before it logged to the user-visible log.
Yes, bad memory cards are known to cause this issue.