IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Starlight cameras IR wavelength???

Nick70068

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I couldn't find any information on the IR wavelength for the IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Starlight cameras. Not sure if it is 850nm and 940nm. I am thinking it is 850nm since I can see the red glow of the IR LED when it is on.

Any information is greatly appreciated.
Nick

StratRider

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am having difficulty finding this information on a lot of the cameras. Starting to assume that if they don't post it in the specs, then it is 850nm.
This is starting to make me wonder if anyone sees a real world problem with being able to see the red glow of an 850nm?
I am wanting to get 2 cams for LPR and place them in a precarious position by the street and I do NOT want the kids that walk out there to be able to see that glow.
This appears to now rule out the ones I had previously chosen. :-(

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You can use 940nm but it will take a higher powered illuminator to get the same results as an 850nm, roughly double the power rating as a rule of thumb.

Another trick is to mount the illuminators separately from the cameras.

StratRider

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The location of the cams would be right at the street and only about 7 ft high to get a great angle for LPR.
But the teenagers walking by won't see the cams unless there is the red glow - and then they would likely be destroyed.
Solution now would be to turn off the LED's and put an 850nm illuminator away from the cams or a 940nm close to the cams.
The distance to the plate will only be about 20 meters, so power shouldn't be an issue.
I had been searching forums since my first post and couldn't conclude that a 940nm illuminator will work with a standard 850nm cam though.
Thanks for the input.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Gonna have to choose one or the other I believe.

if they can see the camera, not sure seeing the LED"s will make much difference. Its not like a flashing stop light, they are very dim and only seen looking straight on