IPC-HDW4231EM-AS Micro SD Install Notes

Nick T

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I recently got two PC-HDW4231EM-AS cameras from @EMPIRETECANDY (thank you!). It's probably old hat to most of the folks on here, but I found that the location of the SD slot in this camera was not very intuitive, and different than its cousin varifocal, the IPC-HDW5231R-Z.

First things first, when you open the case, you will not find an accessible SD slot. You need to remove the intermediate board using two screws at the arrow locations (note they are removed in the picture). Be careful with the wires on the left coming in from the other side of the case as there is not much slack and you wouldn't want to pull one from the connector.
SD Install - 1.jpg

Second, locate the SD slot on the underside of the intermediate board. Unlike the IPC-HDW5231R-Z, this slot opens by sliding it slightly forward and then rotating the top shield around. There are very small arrows on the actual metal shield that indicate which direction to lock or unlock.
SD Install - 2.jpg

Third, seat the Micro SD in the connector (make sure it lines up correctly) and rotate the shield back around and use a fingernail to slide the shield into the locked position. It's a bit tricky to do when holding the intermediate board with one hand and trying not to put too much stress on any of the cables, as shown below. Also, for purposes of reinstalling everything, I found it easier to pull the foam surround out and put it around the lens before seating the board back into the lower half of the housing.

SD Install - 3.jpg

After that, line everything back up and button it up. Be careful to get the gasket correctly positioned. If you hold the camera in a particular orientation, it will rest correctly and not move. If you hold it the opposite way, it will constantly want to move out of the correct position.

Don't forget to check the Storage > Destination page to make sure the SD card is showing up properly and working.