IPC-HDW4631C-A - any thoughts?

EvgenioZ

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

strat

n3wb
Reaction score
did you find any details on this camera seen on same website and thinking of buying a few over than the HDW4431C-A - V2

udohans

n3wb
Reaction score
I have one. The menu language of my model is chinese. On the chinese Dahua website this camera has a Sony Starvis Chip, during first test the night vision is not as good as the 2MP Dahua "Starlight" Model HDW4233C-A, but seems better than my IPC-HDBW4431R.
The Menu and the functions are similar to all Dahua IPC-Hxx4xxxx models. Here a snapshot from Dahua chinese website ...dahuatech.com with Browser translator. In the description the Camera has great Minimum Illumination values.....
HDBW4631CA.png

udohans

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you sure with the Updates? I updated all my chinese dahua cameras if needed with chinese firmware update files from download.dahuatech.com. During Update the camera lost the english language Patches.
With future Recorder Firmware updates, it may happen that original English recorders would not work with Chinese language Cameras. Only RTSP recording would be possible.
Same trouble as Hikvision.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you sure with the Updates? I updated all my chinese dahua cameras if needed with chinese firmware update files from download.dahuatech.com. During Update the camera lost the english language Patches.
With future Recorder Firmware updates, it may happen that original English recorders would not work with Chinese language Cameras. Only RTSP recording would be possible.
Same trouble as Hikvision.
Hi Udohans,

I would expect that chinese market systems also have updates available, however it would be more challenging for those of us who do not read chinese to update - as you pointed out, the update washed out the English language patch.

strat

n3wb
Reaction score
Happy with this camera and night IR is much better than my current 4300.

Have purchased another 4 and was surprised they also come with the full metal shell.

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
unless someone will build a firmware like @cor35vet has explained and made for the other chinese only ones, it´s no way for me to buy these ones. Although they are really cheap.

There are the same facts as discussed here in many postings for all domestic cams for chinese only market. For the ball eye version you will identify those cams with the plastic holder (no screw to fix the position) which is less durable and not ik10 like the ball himselve. If someone can reach the cam, it´s easy to move it.

And I am wondering about the sensor size. It´s really small (1/2.9) for 6mpx resolution. It´s only 0.1 more than the starlights have for 2mp.
But I also believe that they are working better than the previous 4mp ones. But I don´t believe this:
0. 002Lux (color mode); 0.0002Lux (black and white mode); 0Lux (infrared light on)
Maximum infrared distance
This is much more realistic:
IPC-HDW4631EM-ASE - Dahua Technology
0.04Lux/F1.6( Color,1/3s,30IRE)

0.4Lux/F1.6( Color,1/30s,30IRE)

0Lux/F1.6(IR on)

Last edited:

soci3ty

n3wb
Reaction score
There are the same facts as discussed here in many postings for all domestic cams for chinese only market. For the ball eye version you will identify those cams with the plastic holder (no screw to fix the position) which is less durable and not ik10 like the ball himselve. If someone can reach the cam, it´s easy to move it.
These are actually metal and use the same set screw system of the more expensive turrets.

And I am wondering about the sensor size. It´s really small (1/2.9) for 6mpx resolution. It´s only 0.1 more than the starlights have for 2mp.
But I also believe that they are working better than the previous 4mp ones. But I don´t believe this:
The nighttime performance is worse than the varifocal Starlight as expected. In a quick comparison to the 8MP bullet which has a 1/2.5 and F1.6, the 6MP appear to perform significantly better at night which is surprising with the smaller sensor and F2.2 aperture. I'll do a full test between the cameras sometime next week and post it.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
These are actually metal and use the same set screw system of the more expensive turrets.

The nighttime performance is worse than the varifocal Starlight as expected. In a quick comparison to the 8MP bullet which has a 1/2.5 and F1.6, the 6MP appear to perform significantly better at night which is surprising with the smaller sensor and F2.2 aperture. I'll do a full test between the cameras sometime next week and post it.
Welcome soci3ty

Looking forward to seeing your tests

soci3ty

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome soci3ty

Looking forward to seeing your tests
Thanks mat200!

Here are some sample shots I've taken with the 6MP and the 8MP . I need to get a few place holders to do a more scientific test.

The FOV on the 8MP is 88 degrees versus 69 degrees on the 6MP so the images differ a bit but I tried to keep the mounting angle the same.

4631 - Day - Front Side Overview

4631 - Day - Front Side.png

4631 - Day - Patio Door

4631 - Day - Patio.png

4631 - Night - Patio Door

4631 - Night - Patio.png

4831 - Day - Front Side Overview

4830 - Day - Front Side.png

4831 - Day - Patio Door

4830 - Day - Patio.png

I don't appear to have any of the 4831 night time images. I'll remount the camera and get those soon.

soci3ty

n3wb
Reaction score
Close up of camera and mount:

1218170047.jpg

I ordered 6 of these cameras from Aliexpress for $57 each plus $30 total for shipping.

One of them had issues with crosstalk when on moderate length (10 feet+) ethernet runs. I disassembled it and it ended the wires coming from the pigtail had the wrong pairs twisted together inside the camera housing. With a knife the wires can be removed from the connector and retwisted. Once this was fixed the camera worked fine.

1218170049.jpg

soci3ty

n3wb
Reaction score
Which aliexpress dealer did you ordered from?
I ordered through VIKYLIN TECHOLOGY Store. They appear to have increased the shipping price though from when I ordered. The delivery time was about 1.5 weeks with DHL. I contacted the vendor about the crosstalk issue and they just came back with "Lower the resolution, sir". So I doubt they would be very helpful for any major defect.

I found out I need a few more. I might try another vendor because of the increased shipping cost.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I ordered through VIKYLIN TECHOLOGY Store. They appear to have increased the shipping price though from when I ordered. The delivery time was about 1.5 weeks with DHL. I contacted the vendor about the crosstalk issue and they just came back with "Lower the resolution, sir". So I doubt they would be very helpful for any major defect.

I found out I need a few more. I might try another vendor because of the increased shipping cost.
Hi Soci3ty,

Would be very interested to know how they handle IVS features.

soci3ty

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Soci3ty,

Would be very interested to know how they handle IVS features.
Hi mat200,

They have all of the IVS features available on the webui. I currently have 3-4 tripwires running on each camera which trigger 3 snapshots to be sent by email. This has worked without flaw for me even when they are triggered in rapid succession.

I played around with face detection and missing object detection but I couldn't get either of these working. I'm unsure if it's an issue with the camera or if I just configured it wrong since I've never used these features before. I'll play around some more with them and see if I can get them working.

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Thanks for that tidbit as I'm not ready to order one yet. What was the firmware version that these come with?

roryk

n3wb
Reaction score
Old thread but I just got one of these, and its not starlight - Amazon resellers only list it as having regular lux levels, but I was hoping. Its definitely not as good as the 4431C-A in the dark. At 1080p it seems to be similar, but anything higher is a load of noise, as it struggles to see. You can mess with the exposure settings though like making it 1/10 it clears up fairly good. Day ofcourse is great, digital zoom is great. Maybe the older firmware or older versions had starlight or worked better in the dark. Almost seems as if the IR is not as strong also. Im comparing both in large pitch dark areas mounted 15 feet up. The 4431EM-AS was also not as good as the 4431C-A, again it had tons of noise - better mic though.