IPC-HDW5231R-Z Discontinued!!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Dahua Website appears to show the 5231R-Z has been discontinued:
FWIW, @EMPIRETECANDY (the Dahua vendor here) posted in the 5231R-Z thread awhile ago that this was going to happen.

In addition to the 5231R-ZE being the replacement, they released a Lite turret model (2231) very recently, so I don’t think they’re abandoning turrets anytime soon. :)

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
That's good news, but the International Website doesn't show a single Turret format camera (try the link to the International Site above).

Surely the International Website should show the full product range with a footnote on Turrets (*not available in some countries). The main fear I'd have is if demand isn't high, the number of countries getting Turrets as an option may reduce, and with no advertising on the International Site to create demand in other countries asking why aren't we getting this, it could possibly lead to their eventual discontinuation in favour of domes.

Maybe some professional installers actually need to tell Dahua how domes are inferior to Turrets outside and maybe be asking for Dahua to actually push Turrets in their descriptions as the best outdoor option alongside PTZ's. Pushing Turrets is hardly going to discontinue Domes as it's easy to see why domes sell well - they're the staple of every indoor installation in shops and offices. The issue is, many also favour these outside without realising Domes suffer UV degradation and reflection, and that Turrets are a better option. Where I work our outside cameras are domes and they suffer from the dome degradation often warned about on here. I can't say the company and I'm only part time and very low waged as this was an emergency job for me, but we're talking a company with approaching 1,500 sites. So far as I'm aware, with the exception of a few ptz's on the large sites, all the external as well as internal cameras are domes.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's good news, but the International Website doesn't show a single Turret format camera (try the link to the International Site above).
If you're talking about the 2nd link in the OP, that only shows (for me, at least) the Ultra-Smart series cameras.

Back in 2016, @nayr posted a list of all of the Starlight models here. Doesn't look like they had any Ultra-Smart series turrets back then, either.

IMO, Dahua is fine with turrets:
The old Ultra-Savvy series turrets have been upgraded to include ePoE
New Starlight turrets have recently been created in the H.265 Lite and Lite series

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
If you're talking about the 2nd link in the OP, that only shows (for me, at least) the Ultra-Smart series cameras.

Back in 2016, @nayr posted a list of all of the Starlight models here. Doesn't look like they had any Ultra-Smart series turrets back then, either.

IMO, Dahua is fine with turrets:
The old Ultra-Savvy series turrets have been upgraded to include ePoE
New Starlight turrets have recently been created in the H.265 Lite and Lite series
From the 2nd link it's possible to back navigate to the rest of the catalogue of products or use the menu at the top. No Turrets in Eco, Lite, Ultra series on that site. Granted a few regional sites I've looked at do list them.

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Turrets are here to stay, at least for the time being

When more advanced optics are revealed and foam factor changes then we can discuss the future fate of bullets and turrets

Domes are only good for indoors