IPC-HDW5231R-ZE Rhea V2.800.0000016.0.R.200430 Latest new firmware

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
You could try resetting the cam to defaults on one cam to see if it stops the reboots?

pc750

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, could I confirm that this is ok for these cams.
IPC-HDBW5431E-Z
IPC-HDBW5431E-ZE
IPC-HDBW5831E-ZE

Do you need the NVR to be on V2 security baseline, V4.0 firmware as well to minimise conflict.
I have these NVR's
VIP Vision NVR32ULTNPV2 ( Possibly Rebadged DHI-NVR6A08-32-4KS2 )

Thanks,

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I upgraded one of my cameras from V2.800.0000008.0.R to V2.800.0000016.0.R.
Factory reset to defaults before the upgrade and upgraded from camera interface. It didn't go well and it wouldn't recover via TFTP, but I was successful via the serial connection.
I tried an older camera that complains that it has the wrong firmware loaded on boot (which it doesn't) and that one would not take v16.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I upgraded one of my cameras from V2.800.0000008.0.R to V2.800.0000016.0.R.
Factory reset to defaults before the upgrade and upgraded from camera interface. It didn't go well and it wouldn't recover via TFTP, but I was successful via the serial connection.
I tried an older camera that complains that it has the wrong firmware loaded on boot (which it doesn't) and that one would not take v16.
What is your camera's model No.?

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What is your camera's model No.?
IPC-HDW5231R-Z

To be clear, I have the one that failed the UG working on v16, but it required using the serial connection.
The other camera (same model) has had other issues and won't write the boot partition with 'run da'
Environment size: 1140/131068 bytes
Using ambarella mac device
Download Filename 'dhboot.bin.img'.
Downloading: 100%
## file size: 118.2 KiB, times: 0s, speed: 150.4 KiB/s
done
Bytes transferred = 121080 (1d8f8 hex)
curVer:V1.4 <= newVer:V2.0,verCompare success!
UBOOT_commonSwRsaVerify run successfully!
same boot, quit upgrade!current version=U-Boot 2010.06-svn8102, upgrade svn_version=8102, current time=20:44:05, upgrade timestamp=20:44:05
partition file version 2
rootfstype squashfs root /dev/mtdblock5
can not search bootargs settings
fail to parse bootargsParametersV2.text info
Download Filename 'dhboot-min.bin.img'.
## file size: 130.2 KiB, times: 0s, speed: 1 MiB/s
done
Bytes transferred = 133368 (208f8 hex)
partition file version 2

where 'run dr' give a successful write
Download Filename 'romfs-x.squashfs.img'.
## file size: 3.9 MiB, times: 4s, speed: 958 KiB/s
done
Bytes transferred = 4073720 (3e28f8 hex)

## Checking Image at 02000000 ...
Legacy image found
Image Name: romfs
Created: 2020-06-04 18:24:59 UTC
Image Type: ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
Data Size: 4071424 Bytes = 3.9 MiB
Load Address: 01b80000
Entry Point: 01fd0000
Verifying Checksum ... OK
Programing start at: 0x01b80000 for romfs
SPI probe: 32768 KiB MX25L25645G at 0:1 is now current device
write : 100%
done
crc from program is :0, crc from flash is :0
partition file version 2

Eagle29

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This firmware could be used for IPC-HFW1831E?

Last edited:

Panopticon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Andy we urgently need your input - because interrupting power to the Cameras caused the camera self-reboot problem to come back again.

We did as IAmATeaf suggested and ended up Factory Defaulting the cameras three times each before reprogramming all the settings from scratch - which temporarily fixed the rebooting cameras UNTIL we had to power down the Power over Ethernet (PoE) Network switch (to move the switch to its new position) and after that when the cameras came back online (when the PoE Switch was Powered on again) the Camera self-rebooting problem came back again.

Andy - help! - is there a newer firmware to sop this self rebooting camera problem or some other way of stopping it?

You could try resetting the cam to defaults on one cam to see if it stops the reboots?

Hi Andy we upgraded some IPC-HFW5831E-ZE Cameras with this 2.800.0000016.0.R – 2020-06-05 Firmware and since then they all keep rebooting themselves every 24 to 48 hours – why do the cameras keep automatically rebooting themselves since the upgrade?

AND

How do we stop the auto rebooting?

Before the firmware upgrade the cameras used to run non-stop for a year without a single reboot happening or being needed.

We checked but System > Auto Maintain > Auto Reboot is NOT enabled – sadly it is not that simple.

Noticed some new functions in this firmware: -

Setting > Video > Stream Smooth – sounds useful is there any more information?

Network > Auto Register – register automatically to what network?

System > Safety > System service – seems new or significantly expanded

System > Safety > Firewall – seems new

System > Safety > HTTPS - there seems to be a lot more on HTTPS tab as well

Auto Maintain > Auto Delete Old Files – very intriguing – does it mean user files? Images and Video? Old configuration files? Or something more like TRIM/Garbage collection on an SSD – meaning it runs TRIM on the camera SD card OR the cameras internal ROM or perhaps RAM memory?

Version > Security Baseline now reads 2.0 – instead of 1.something

All seems like progress – but how to stop the rebooting?

Regards.

pc750

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you have any other cams on the network? Maybe in onvif profile.
I had an NVR on 3.26 firmware. When it was updated to V4 firmware the Axis onvif cameras caused all kinds of problems across all the connected cameras.
Maybe connect 1 camera at a time and leave it for a day before connecting the next one to see when the issue starts happening.

Panopticon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you have any other cams on the network? Maybe in onvif profile.
I had an NVR on 3.26 firmware. When it was updated to V4 firmware the Axis onvif cameras caused all kinds of problems across all the connected cameras.
Maybe connect 1 camera at a time and leave it for a day before connecting the next one to see when the issue starts happening.
Thanks for that pc750 but....

All the Cameras on that network are the same model of Dahua camera and unfortunately they are all on the same latest Andy (EMPIRETECANDY) supplied firmware that started the self-rebooting cameras problem.

The unwanted camera self-reboots happen every 30 to 32 hours - you can temporarily hide the camera self-rebooting problem by factory defaulting the cameras - the reason why we factory defaulted the cameras three times in a row is the first two times the default procedure behaved differently BUT the third default behaved the same as the second so we conclude that there is no point in a fourth factory default.

However as it turns out if you interrupt power to the cameras running this problem firmware then they go back to rebooting themselves every 30 hours or so - which is no good at all and even worse when there is a power cut which will bring the unwanted self-rebooting camera problem back yet again - even after you have wasted time defaulting and reprogramming to hide the self-reboot problem.

A further problem that this faulty self-rebooting camera firmware is causing being that the criminals and trouble makers in the area have noticed the IR lights on the cameras are (unusually) coming on at night (following a night time self-reboot) and staying on till daybreak - when the cameras normally do not have IR lit up at night - because with WDR enabled the background light level and Streetlights are enough light for full colour video all night long - a couple of days ago several hoodlums appeared thinking their luck was in because one camera outside had IR on and an adjacent camera simultaneously had IR lights off so the hooligans began to arm themselves to demolish the camera with no IR thinking it was faulty/dead/blind without IR but eventually the adjacent camera self-rebooted just in time so the mob of troublemakers went away.

Dahua should remember these cameras are security devices - not just toys - to deter criminals - when a firmware screw up like this visibly alters a security cameras behaviour there can be serious negative consequences.

This is the first unsuccessful firmware upgrade we have encountered - we urgently need a solution to this problem so we hope Andy quickly comes through with a solution from his Dahua contacts.

PS:- Just noticed that you have a very similar 8MP camera to me pc750 - have you checked for any little 2 minute or so gaps in the timeline of constant recording due to self rebooting? and usaf_pride had a camera that kept rebooting just after an upgrade to this firmware

Last edited:

pc750

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for that pc750 but....

All the Cameras on that network are the same model of Dahua camera and unfortunately they are all on the same latest Andy (EMPIRETECANDY) supplied firmware that started the self-rebooting cameras problem.

The unwanted camera self-reboots happen every 30 to 32 hours - you can temporarily hide the camera self-rebooting problem by factory defaulting the cameras - the reason why we factory defaulted the cameras three times in a row is the first two times the default procedure behaved differently BUT the third default behaved the same as the second so we conclude that there is no point in a fourth factory default.

However as it turns out if you interrupt power to the cameras running this problem firmware then they go back to rebooting themselves every 30 hours or so - which is no good at all and even worse when there is a power cut which will bring the unwanted self-rebooting camera problem back yet again - even after you have wasted time defaulting and reprogramming to hide the self-reboot problem.

A further problem that this faulty self-rebooting camera firmware is causing being that the criminals and trouble makers in the area have noticed the IR lights on the cameras are (unusually) coming on at night (following a night time self-reboot) and staying on till daybreak - when the cameras normally do not have IR lit up at night - because with WDR enabled the background light level and Streetlights are enough light for full colour video all night long - a couple of days ago several hoodlums appeared thinking their luck was in because one camera outside had IR on and an adjacent camera simultaneously had IR lights off so the hooligans began to arm themselves to demolish the camera with no IR thinking it was faulty/dead/blind without IR but eventually the adjacent camera self-rebooted just in time so the mob of troublemakers went away.

Dahua should remember these cameras are security devices - not just toys - to deter criminals - when a firmware screw up like this visibly alters a security cameras behaviour there can be serious negative consequences.

This is the first unsuccessful firmware upgrade we have encountered - we urgently need a solution to this problem so we hope Andy quickly comes through with a solution from his Dahua contacts.

PS:- Just noticed that you have a very similar 8MP camera to me pc750 - have you checked for any little 2 minute or so gaps in the timeline of constant recording due to self rebooting? and usaf_pride had a camera that kept rebooting just after an upgrade to this firmware
Not that I have noticed as yet, they don't seem to hold H265 profile on the substream though. They keep on changing to H264H. These are connected to an NVR with V4 firmware.

Reaction score
IPC-HDBW5831E-ZE:

I don't post on most forums I belong to. I do not recommend upgrading using this firmware, as it appears the software bricks a number of cameras. I should of read all the comments before I tried, it would have saved me some time as I would have skipped this firmware.

Yes I rebooted before trying to upgrade,
Yes I factor reset it before trying the upgrade,

The last stable firmware: DH_IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea_MultiLang_NP_Stream3_V2.800.0000014.0.R.191203.bin

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
This firmware can suit the original english models without problems, make sure you are using the original English updatable models.
Any firmware updating will have risk to brick the camera, not just wrong fw, but also unstable network and bad power. This is the last firmware version of this series if there is no big bugs/security probelm.

Panopticon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
At last a reply / acknowledgement of the updated firmware problem from Andy – and we all thought you were deliberately not replying for so long to this thread because you realised what a serious problem your recommended new firmware had caused on so many different cameras.

Yes, all my cameras are English models that have been successfully updated many times before (and just before this last firmware update were successfully running the previous firmware version) but this time they keep rebooting themselves uncontrollably every 30 or so hours since they had your latest recommended 2.800.0000016.0.R – 2020-06-05 Firmware version installed.

Looks like Dahua have created a problem / fault with the last firmware for this generation of cameras – to play Devil’s Advocate - probably so as to kill them all off and force people to buy the next generation of Dahua cameras - re lukewarm sales from Coronavirus.

We know Camera sales are down across all brands but coming up with a diabolical new firmware version that effectively vandalises peoples existing Dahua cameras is beyond the pale – why would anyone ever buy another Dahua camera when they discover that the manufacturer kills off their previous generation Dahua camera (NVR’s too?) by telling them to update to destructive firmware on “Important Update” OR “Security Update” reasons – very sly.

Well as Andy always says about his special relationship with Dahua – prove it - Andy can now report back to Dahua that there is a major bug in this firmware version causing the camera to reboot every 30 or so hours – while also bricking other people’s cameras and also causing H265 problems on others – which is a major issue for Dahua’s latest NVR range which rely on h265 to do a lot of their Ai/Facial recognition stuff.

Andy get Dahua to issue a fix with even newer firmware to get rid of and solve these significant major bugs/regressions that also in practice keeps attracting criminals to smash the cameras because the Infra-Red lights on the cameras keep going out regularly as the camera resets itself uncontrollably and takes a minute or so to restart/reboot before the Infra-Red lights only then come back on and the criminal element have noticed the repeating rebooting pattern – this current firmware update is very bad news / advice.

Then there is Andy saying he tests out the firmware before making it public – exactly what kind of testing misses a rebooting and bricking problem etc.?

Downgrade the cameras firmware?
Which risks bricking the cameras – so Dahua gains another camera sale – that is quite some firmware release Andy – not at all what we expected from you – what happened? The Dahua Firmware quality has dropped through the floorboards – unless Dahua did this deliberately to sell more cameras. I wonder?

Of course, there is nothing stopping Dahua making amends once Andy has reported back all these problems to Dahua through his channels by releasing an improved firmware that solves the Rebooting and bricking problems
– then Dahua would prove this destructive firmware release was not deliberately designed to sabotage everyone’s cameras to drive sales of the next generation of Camera – Covid19/Coronavirus is not helping Camera/NVR sales at all.

Could somebody please post a few links / suggestions to successful (recent) Firmware downgrade methods (bear in mind this is “Security Baseline 2.0 firmware” [unexplained what 2.0 means in practice] – is [safe] downgrade even possible?) in reply because none of the ones I have found seem particularly convincing or reliable.

Last firmware release for this generation of cameras? What a Firmware thank you bomb Dahua sent out to everyone to improve Dahua sales figures.

Come on – make it right – get newer firmware issued to solve all the camera problems Dahua used you to create.

This firmware can suit the original english models without problems, make sure you are using the original English updatable models.
Any firmware updating will have risk to brick the camera, not just wrong fw, but also unstable network and bad power. This is the last firmware version of this series if there is no big bugs/security probelm.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a different take on the bug issue, The camera firmware is full of bugs, the NVR firmware is full of bugs, and smartPss is full of bugs. I wish it weren't so, and I've lost many hours because of it. It's pretty clear to me that Dahua prioritizes adding new features over stability. My career was in high tech R&D and I grudgingly had to cope with this system that forces the customers to be beta testers. If the company sends something out too early with too many bugs, the customers get mad and leave. Hold on to it for too long to get all the bugs out and a competitor beats you with new features and your customers leave. A catch-22 situation.

On the other hand, these are complex feature-laden devices that are incredible bargains for what they do. I'm so far willing to live with the bugs so long as I can work around them, which I've for the most part been able to do. I've rolled back camera firmware, with its associated risk, lots of times. I don't upgrade if what I currently have does what I need it to. When I do upgrade, I do it on only one camera and wait a week or two before doing the rest of the same model. Risk reduction.

On the reboot problem, I'd guess that odds-are it's a firmware issue, but there are other possibilities. One that I've run into is the switch shutting down a port over a power issue. It's possible a new firmware version could cause a camera to draw more power. If the switch total power budget is exceeded it could shut down a port. Just throwing this out as an example since I know nothing about somebody else's network.

I have empathy for anybody who ends up with a bricked device. It should not happen. I've had a couple of cameras die, not from a firmware upgrade, just from random hardware failures. My attitude is that I expect a camera to last on average 4 or 5 years. So far I'm beating that. I don't sense any obsolescence conspiracy on Dahua's part. I just see normal high-tech big corporation behavior. I don't like it, but it is what it is.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
All 6 of my 5231-ze cams which Andy supplied are running on this firmware, I think I had problems with 2 but this was related to the substream that was previously enabled being disabled.

Upgrading firmware is and will always be a risk, so I accept the risks so only normally update 1 cam and then leave it running for a couple of days to see if there are any issues.

The general advice here is to only upgrade if you have an issue which the firmware fixes.

Panopticon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Unfortunately it is definitely the new camera Firmware causing the uncontrollable camera reboot problem...............

Tigerwillow1 – I just wish I had your phenomenal patience to just accept so many different bugs so visible to the end user across so many different devices.

Dahua hardware is ripe to be taken opensource with opensource firmware that kicks out the Dahua firmware from the Cameras and NVR’s – eventually somebody will get so annoyed with Dahua they will opensource their Cameras etc. – probably why Dahua is trying to security harden their Firmware not so much to improve end user security but to prevent opensource firmware taking over!

Bugs that are manufacturer introduced with the suggestion “This new firmware is a important update, Please try to update asap.”

Here is the latest new firmware for these models
This new firmware is a important update, Please try to update asap.
New bugs from updates suggested in that manner that then cause regular camera reboots Tortuously would be called Recklessly Negligent - as would being caught NOT upgrading the camera re un-patched security holes that cause other security problems.

If one of those cameras with the new faulty firmware that is uncontrollably resetting itself for the hundredth time while a criminal act is perpetrated which the camera fails to capture due to rebooting - then legally everyone will be entering a world of pain.

No links forthcoming re to roll back camera firmware? Has anyone successfully rolled back from a firmware that is “Security Baseline Level 2.0”? What is the most recent generation of firmware you have rolled back from in a camera?

Risk mitigation – absolutely – we did install the new firmware initially on only one camera
- saw a great improvement left it for a couple of weeks – still all good – so we rolled it out to more cameras – we only experienced the uncontrollable camera resetting bug after a planned power down to move a PoE+ network switch to a new rack location (in the same rack) then we noticed a couple of weeks later the uncontrollable camera resets – we are absolutely furious at being caught out in this way with the new faulty Dahua camera firmware from Andy.

Andy who having caused the problem chimes in after 2 and a half months of inexplicable silence on the problem saying no more firmware updates for this generation of cameras – that is not the way to win friends and influence people Andy.

It is almost like the fault in this firmware was designed not to appear at first only later once it had been rolled out – what a sales driver for the next generation of cameras this faulty firmware update is!

We wish it was as simple as the PoE+ network switch – but unfortunately it is happening on several cameras – the fully Managed PoE+ switch has hundreds of watts of spare PoE+ capacity available globally and per port none are reading higher than 5 Watts or so of PoE power draw per camera with 30 something Watts of PoE+ power available per port.

Oh how we wish it was as simple as the network switch - and there is nothing in the switch logs either (meaning power is constantly available to the cameras – creating a Power fault by unplugging a PoE network cable automatically gets logged by the Switch – we tried that out to prove what would happen / get logged) – we did try another even bigger PoE+ switch but still the uncontrollable camera rebooting problem continued on all of the several affected cameras.

It all runs on a UPS with a couple of hours battery runtime capacity at normal operating load – nothing in those UPS logs either.

I admire your ability to accept your cameras just randomly dying on you due to hardware failure
– from that I assume you were formerly a Software (?) Research and Development not Hardware (?) R and D – as most of the Hardware R&D boffins that I know would have pounced on the cameras with hardware failure and made them work once more – or were they cheap low resolution cameras only 1 or 2 megapixel? So, it did not really matter?

Annoyingly the Firmware Update affected uncontrollably rebooting 5831 cameras are 8 Megapixel WDR models - so not exactly throw away items - as you imply your dead cameras were (?) – and nowhere near their point of obsolescence.

obsolescence conspiracy on Dahua's part

Re your obsolescence conspiracy comment – that is just it we have not come anywhere near the point of obsolescence instead thanks to Dahua’s faulty camera vandalising firmware update they are being made unstable/unusable by the uncontrollable camera resets – which coincidentally happen to encourage the purchase of the next generation Dahua cameras by having created a resetting fault on several current generation Dahua cameras – that is not obsolescence by any stretch of the imagination. That is a new problem introduced by updated firmware that suspiciously only appeared after a long delay.

Perhaps your six 5231’s are not affected by uncontrollable reboots due to the different resolution compared to a 5831? How old are your 5231’s?

The new variable in all of this is Coronavirus causing economic upset across many industry sectors including the electronic security sector.

So as everyone’s Security Camera sales are down the temptation is perhaps to encourage people to buy the next generation of cameras by damaging their current cameras with faulty firmware that introduces obvious bugs and bricks cameras – a very brutal way of creating sales
- is that why Andy said at the beginning of this thread “This new firmware is a important update, Please try to update asap.” – Important to who? The Manufacturer to drive sales? The Reseller to drive sales? How is it important to the end user?

Come on Andy what are you going to do to fix this problem (why did you not reply on this thread for 2 And a half months?) – have you reported it all to Dahua and what has been their response?

I have a different take on the bug issue, The camera firmware is full of bugs, the NVR firmware is full of bugs, and smartPss is full of bugs. I wish it weren't so, and I've lost many hours because of it. It's pretty clear to me that Dahua prioritizes adding new features over stability. My career was in high tech R&D and I grudgingly had to cope with this system that forces the customers to be beta testers. If the company sends something out too early with too many bugs, the customers get mad and leave. Hold on to it for too long to get all the bugs out and a competitor beats you with new features and your customers leave. A catch-22 situation.

On the other hand, these are complex feature-laden devices that are incredible bargains for what they do. I'm so far willing to live with the bugs so long as I can work around them, which I've for the most part been able to do. I've rolled back camera firmware, with its associated risk, lots of times. I don't upgrade if what I currently have does what I need it to. When I do upgrade, I do it on only one camera and wait a week or two before doing the rest of the same model. Risk reduction.

On the reboot problem, I'd guess that odds-are it's a firmware issue, but there are other possibilities. One that I've run into is the switch shutting down a port over a power issue. It's possible a new firmware version could cause a camera to draw more power. If the switch total power budget is exceeded it could shut down a port. Just throwing this out as an example since I know nothing about somebody else's network.

I have empathy for anybody who ends up with a bricked device. It should not happen. I've had a couple of cameras die, not from a firmware upgrade, just from random hardware failures. My attitude is that I expect a camera to last on average 4 or 5 years. So far I'm beating that. I don't sense any obsolescence conspiracy on Dahua's part. I just see normal high-tech big corporation behavior. I don't like it, but it is what it is.
All 6 of my 5231-ze cams which Andy supplied are running on this firmware, I think I had problems with 2 but this was related to the substream that was previously enabled being disabled.

Upgrading firmware is and will always be a risk, so I accept the risks so only normally update 1 cam and then leave it running for a couple of days to see if there are any issues.

The general advice here is to only upgrade if you have an issue which the firmware fixes.
Here is the latest new firmware for these models
This new firmware is a important update, Please try to update asap.

Models support.

IPC-HDW5231R-Z/ZE
IPC-HFW5231E-Z/Z5/Z12/ZE/Z5E/Z12E
IPC-HDBW5231R-Z/ZE
IPC-HDBW5231E-Z/ZE
IPC-HDW4231EM-AS/ASE, IPC-HDBW4231F-AS, IPC-HDBW4231E-AS/ASE , IPC-HFW4231S,IPC-HFW4231E-S/SE.
IPC-HDBW4431F-AS
IPC-HDW4XXX-ASE
IPC-HDW5XX-ZE
IPC-HFW5XXX-ZE, IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E, IPC-HFW5231E-Z5E
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPC-HDBW4239R-ASE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPC-HDW5831R-ZE
IPC-HDW5631R-ZE

Download Link
Please try to upgrade asap.

View attachment 66909

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score

Hey mate,
DH_IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V2.800.0000015.0.R.200430.bin please Downgrade the firmware in this link, This is BOM Firmware. I will tell them for the bugs that we found here, when they have a latest newer firmware, i will post it here.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Unfortunately it is definitely the new camera Firmware causing the uncontrollable camera reboot problem...............

Tigerwillow1 – I just wish I had your phenomenal patience to just accept so many different bugs so visible to the end user across so many different devices.

Dahua hardware is ripe to be taken opensource with opensource firmware that kicks out the Dahua firmware from the Cameras and NVR’s – eventually somebody will get so annoyed with Dahua they will opensource their Cameras etc. – probably why Dahua is trying to security harden their Firmware not so much to improve end user security but to prevent opensource firmware taking over!

Bugs that are manufacturer introduced with the suggestion “This new firmware is a important update, Please try to update asap.”

New bugs from updates suggested in that manner that then cause regular camera reboots Tortuously would be called Recklessly Negligent - as would being caught NOT upgrading the camera re un-patched security holes that cause other security problems.

If one of those cameras with the new faulty firmware that is uncontrollably resetting itself for the hundredth time while a criminal act is perpetrated which the camera fails to capture due to rebooting - then legally everyone will be entering a world of pain.

No links forthcoming re to roll back camera firmware? Has anyone successfully rolled back from a firmware that is “Security Baseline Level 2.0”? What is the most recent generation of firmware you have rolled back from in a camera?

Risk mitigation – absolutely – we did install the new firmware initially on only one camera
- saw a great improvement left it for a couple of weeks – still all good – so we rolled it out to more cameras – we only experienced the uncontrollable camera resetting bug after a planned power down to move a PoE+ network switch to a new rack location (in the same rack) then we noticed a couple of weeks later the uncontrollable camera resets – we are absolutely furious at being caught out in this way with the new faulty Dahua camera firmware from Andy.

Andy who having caused the problem chimes in after 2 and a half months of inexplicable silence on the problem saying no more firmware updates for this generation of cameras – that is not the way to win friends and influence people Andy.

It is almost like the fault in this firmware was designed not to appear at first only later once it had been rolled out – what a sales driver for the next generation of cameras this faulty firmware update is!

We wish it was as simple as the PoE+ network switch – but unfortunately it is happening on several cameras – the fully Managed PoE+ switch has hundreds of watts of spare PoE+ capacity available globally and per port none are reading higher than 5 Watts or so of PoE power draw per camera with 30 something Watts of PoE+ power available per port.

Oh how we wish it was as simple as the network switch - and there is nothing in the switch logs either (meaning power is constantly available to the cameras – creating a Power fault by unplugging a PoE network cable automatically gets logged by the Switch – we tried that out to prove what would happen / get logged) – we did try another even bigger PoE+ switch but still the uncontrollable camera rebooting problem continued on all of the several affected cameras.

It all runs on a UPS with a couple of hours battery runtime capacity at normal operating load – nothing in those UPS logs either.

I admire your ability to accept your cameras just randomly dying on you due to hardware failure
– from that I assume you were formerly a Software (?) Research and Development not Hardware (?) R and D – as most of the Hardware R&D boffins that I know would have pounced on the cameras with hardware failure and made them work once more – or were they cheap low resolution cameras only 1 or 2 megapixel? So, it did not really matter?

Annoyingly the Firmware Update affected uncontrollably rebooting 5831 cameras are 8 Megapixel WDR models - so not exactly throw away items - as you imply your dead cameras were (?) – and nowhere near their point of obsolescence.

Re your obsolescence conspiracy comment – that is just it we have not come anywhere near the point of obsolescence
instead thanks to Dahua’s faulty camera vandalising firmware update they are being made unstable/unusable by the uncontrollable camera resets – which coincidentally happen to encourage the purchase of the next generation Dahua cameras by having created a resetting fault on several current generation Dahua cameras – that is not obsolescence by any stretch of the imagination. That is a new problem introduced by updated firmware that suspiciously only appeared after a long delay.

Perhaps your six 5231’s are not affected by uncontrollable reboots due to the different resolution compared to a 5831? How old are your 5231’s?

The new variable in all of this is Coronavirus causing economic upset across many industry sectors including the electronic security sector.

So as everyone’s Security Camera sales are down the temptation is perhaps to encourage people to buy the next generation of cameras by damaging their current cameras with faulty firmware that introduces obvious bugs and bricks cameras – a very brutal way of creating sales
- is that why Andy said at the beginning of this thread “This new firmware is a important update, Please try to update asap.” – Important to who? The Manufacturer to drive sales? The Reseller to drive sales? How is it important to the end user?

Come on Andy what are you going to do to fix this problem (why did you not reply on this thread for 2 And a half months?) – have you reported it all to Dahua and what has been their response?
Right now just use back old firmware and check if this still happen.
I will report this firmware's bug to dahua. When you bought these cameras from us, sometimes if too old the camera may not work well to the latest new firmware. Hardware will have a little difference because these cams are on the market for 4-5 years.