IPC-HDW5242T-ZE-MF

giel

n3wb
Reaction score
All,

Was browsing the Dahua website and came across the IPC-HDW5242T-ZE-MF. See IPC-HDW5242T-ZE-MF

The specs look like the new 1/1.8" sensor but varifocal and 2mp. Could this be the ultimate night time camera?

IPC-HDW5242T-ZE-MF
2MP IR Vari-focal Eyeball WizMind Network Camera
2MP, 1/1.8" CMOS image sensor, low illuminance, high image definition
Outputs max. 2MP (1920 × 1080) @60 fps
Built-in IR LED, max. IR distance: 40 m
ROI, SMART H.264+/H.265+, flexible coding, applicable to various bandwidth and storage environments
Rotation mode, WDR, 3D DNR, HLC, BLC, digital watermarking, applicable to various monitoring scenes
Intelligent detection: Tripwire, intrusion, fast moving (the three functions support the classification and accurate detection of vehicle and human), abandoned object, missing object, loitering detection, people gathering, parking detection, heat map, face detection, face attributes and people counting
Supports max. 256 G Micro SD card, built-in Mic
12V DC/PoE power supply, ePoE network transmission over long distance, easy for installation
IP67 protection
@EMPIRETECANDY Are you able to get a hold of these?

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Think it would perform better than 5442 in low light? Would be a significant decrease in megapixels but same sensor hmm

0.003 Lux @F1.8

How does that lux number compare to 5442?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
All,

Was browsing the Dahua website and came across the IPC-HDW5242T-ZE-MF. See IPC-HDW5242T-ZE-MF

The specs look like the new 1/1.8" sensor but varifocal and 2mp. Could this be the ultimate night time camera?

IPC-HDW5242T-ZE-MF
2MP IR Vari-focal Eyeball WizMind Network Camera

@EMPIRETECANDY Are you able to get a hold of these?
2mp we will focus on the IPC-T3241T-ZAS, and 4mp will go to the latest new one IPC-HDW5442T-ZE

mikeyno

n3wb
Reaction score
So I was looking into this as well, as to whether the 5242 would perform better in low-light conditions than the 5442. The general logic seems to be that lower megapixel cameras with the same sensor size tend to perform better due to a decrease in noise produced from light on each pixel. In a lower megapixel camera, the pixel density on the sensor is less, allowing more space between pixels, thus reducing noise caused from neighboring pixels.

However, with respect to the 5242, it looks like the maximum aperture is f/1.8, whereas with a 5442 fixed-lense the maximum aperture is f/1.6, allowing more light to enter the lens. This would probably account for the slightly better lux rating on the 5442 fixed lens (.002) vs the 5242 (.003). I'm guessing the maximum aperture is limited by the adjustable lens (varifocal), because the varifocal 5442 has the same maximum aperture of the 5242 of f/1.8.

It's hard to say definitively without testing, but on paper I think the 5442 fixed lens would perform slightly better than the 5242 and the varifocal 5442, and with an additional 2MP difference, is an overall better camera. Just posting my findings here in case anyone else comes across this question.

Last edited: