IPC-T5241TM-AS (Dahua IPC-HDW5241TM-AS) and Synology Surveillance Station

bukso78

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all. I have read a lot of excellent info in this forum and in wiki, but there are still few things I would like to clarify.
If members of this forum could share their answers to my questions below, I would be grateful.

I did decide to install several cameras on my house and given my budget, suggestions from my friends who have camera experience and
recommendation from Andy, I did purchase Dahua OEM IPC-T5241TM-AS cameras.

I already own Synology DS214 NAS with sufficiently large disks, I really like their ecosystem and iOS apps. So naturally I plan to use
the new IPC-T5241TM-AS cameras with Surveillance Station. In regards to cost I just need to purchase licenses for about 200 Euro.
I also like the flexibility, where in future I can replace the cameras with another brand and still use Surveillance Station.
Another advantage is that once I replace my ageing Synology NAS with newer model, I will move the camera licenses to the new NAS - no additional cost.
And Surveillance Station now supports Dahua's IVS, which is also a benefit.

My second option would be to purchase new Dahua NVR + disks, but that would cost me around 500 Euro and would lock me to Dahua cameras.
And from the reviews it appears that Synology mobile iOS app is better than Dahua's iOS mobile app.

Please note that for my immediate needs I do not want 24/7 standalone Windows PC with Blue Iris. Being a camera novice I don't
think I need this setup, maybe in future...

So I am leaning towards Surveillance Station with Dahua NVR as second option. Here are my questions.

1. What extra features would I get if I would spend +300 Euro on Dahua NVR, when combined with Dahua OEM IPC-T5241TM-AS cameras?
2. Does Surveillance Station support the AI and General Intelligence features of IPC-T5241TM-AS?
3. Can my current older DS214 NAS handle 7 cameras IPC-T5241TM-AS? In specifications to DS214, max camera count is 12, but I guess that is more
a theorectical figure.
4. When video stream from camera is encoded using H264 or H265, I guess the camera's hardware is doing that. So what kind of load is handled by NAS CPU?
Only writing recordings to disk? Or is there some processing done by Surveillance Station?
5. When setting up IPC-T5241TM-AS in Surveillance Station, which profile should be used - ONVIF, Dahua_Generic or some specific Dahua camera? I checked the list,
but IPC-T5241TM-AS (Dahua IPC-HDW5241TM-AS) is not there.
6. From Synology's IP camera Support List, which model is closest to my camera? Could/should I use profile of other camera model?
7. What are the pros and cons of ONVIF vs Dahua_Generic profile?

Thank you.

bukso78

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone? Please share information even if you have answer to only single question. Thank you.

Reaction score
Sorry, but not a lot of people here use Synology Surveillance Station.

Perhaps do a search on Synology Surveillance Station and see who uses it and tag them in this thread. Maybe they will answer.

bukso78

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you. Maybe I am asking in wrong forum. But from my searches I had the impression that part of members is using Synology Surveillance Station ..

bukso78

n3wb
Reaction score
I am now using the Dahua OEM IPC-T5241TM-AS cameras with Synology DS214 NAS. Here is some information for future readers.

• it is suggested to use Dahua_Generic profile because in general Dahua Generic offers better compatibility and more features than ONVIF
  • my 7 years old DS214 NAS with Marvell Armada XP ARMv7 CPU can handle recording of my 7 cameras without any problem. CPU usage is typically 20 - 30% while the 2MP cameras are continously recording at 1920x1080 @15 FPS
  • cameras are handling the H.265 encoding and motion detection, this is why NAS CPU is not overtaxed
  • Synology Surveillance Station is great even for camera begginers - it works smoothly, GUI is great, it has all the features I need
  • mobile iOS app DS Cam is also great, I can easily watch live feed or recordings from all cameras on iPhone, with one tap I can go to motion detection events etc. and it works even when I am out from home on 4G mobile network
  • right now I don't see a reason to spend extra money on dedicated NVR