IPC-T5442T-ZE IPC-T5442TM-AS IPC-T5842T-ZE SMD 3.0 Smart IR Latest New Firmware From EmpireTech

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i haven't used the camera in a while and always figured being on the latest firmware was good practice. when i power it up i'll let you know which gui version i have. camera was purchased a few years ago.

i'm a bit disappointed to hear that there are different chipsets for the same model camera, that doesn't make any sense to me. a new chipset should be a new model number. very confusing, imo.
Most here do not update cameras if they are working and meet our needs and that the best practice. Only update it if you know for sure it fixes a problem you have. We have seen updates eliminate features people were using. My ZEs are still running the firmware it came with, so 2018-2019 firmware. The only thing it added was Smart IR, but if the cameras are working for your needs, why risk potentially bricking it?

Using the same model number is no different than a car and getting a new model style and new features every few years.

The new model is 5442-ZE-S3 to differentiate the newer model.

The new model is an incredible jump over the older one.

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Most here do not update cameras if they are working and meet our needs and that the best practice. Only update it if you know for sure it fixes a problem you have. We have seen updates eliminate features people were using. My ZEs are still running the firmware it came with, so 2018-2019 firmware. The only thing it added was Smart IR, but if the cameras are working for your needs, why risk potentially bricking it?

Using the same model number is no different than a car and getting a new model style and new features every few years.

The new model is 5442-ZE-S3 to differentiate the newer model.

The new model is an incredible jump over the older one.

how often do you log into a car website to download firmware for your car?

if it aint broke, don't fix it, sure, that is one way to look at it. a firmware should never brick the device, the device should be designed to reject the firmware if it isn't compatible.

i have seen devices with the same model that have different firmware, but the firmware page will tell you, model A revision 1, model A revision 1.2 and each revision has its own firmware.

if i didn't post and found the downloads page and bricked my device because i didn't know about the different chipsets, then what happens? do you think all camera owners are coming to a forum to ask which firmware they should download?

i realize we may not agree on this and that's ok. no hate at all. as a matter of fact, thanks for posting to let me know there are two chipsets, i certainly wouldn't want to brick a properly working camera. i appreciate that.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
how often do you log into a car website to download firmware for your car?

if it aint broke, don't fix it, sure, that is one way to look at it. a firmware should never brick the device, the device should be designed to reject the firmware if it isn't compatible.

i have seen devices with the same model that have different firmware, but the firmware page will tell you, model A revision 1, model A revision 1.2 and each revision has its own firmware.

if i didn't post and found the downloads page and bricked my device because i didn't know about the different chipsets, then what happens? do you think all camera owners are coming to a forum to ask which firmware they should download?

i realize we may not agree on this and that's ok. no hate at all. as a matter of fact, thanks for posting to let me know there are two chipsets, i certainly wouldn't want to brick a properly working camera. i appreciate that.
I am simply cautioning you of the risks one takes when they update. Your choice to decide if you want to update, but if you look at the link I posted, you will see things like Dahua intentionally removing autotracking from an autotracking PTZ or removing the ability to read USA plates from an LPR camera - two big important features to disappear because someone decided to update for the sake of updating. And other companies do it as well, it isn't just Dahua. It is important to read the release notes and if the release notes are vague or non-existent, is it worth the risk?

The different chipsets by Dahua are designated by the S# designation. In theory the camera simply shouldn't even accept the different chipset firmware.

Here is a thread where someone had updated 6 of his 5442-ZE cams just fine and the 7th one proved to be the problem one and these were all on the older chipset (grey GUI versus white GUI)....

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am simply cautioning you of the risks one takes when they update. Your choice to decide if you want to update, but if you look at the link I posted, you will see things like Dahua intentionally removing autotracking from an autotracking PTZ or removing the ability to read USA plates from an LPR camera - two big important features to disappear because someone decided to update for the sake of updating. And other companies do it as well, it isn't just Dahua. It is important to read the release notes and if the release notes are vague or non-existent, is it worth the risk?

The different chipsets by Dahua are designated by the S# designation. In theory the camera simply shouldn't even accept the different chipset firmware.

Here is a thread where someone had updated 6 of his 5442-ZE cams just fine and the 7th one proved to be the problem one and these were all on the older chipset (grey GUI versus white GUI)....

the other post i made was that i couldn't download the release notes. it brings me back to the downloads page so i'm not sure what was added/removed/etc.

i will test the camera and if things appear to be working w/o issue i won't upgrade. but i stand by my firmware post.

thanks.

edit

if i upgrade to a firmware that breaks something/removes something, i should be able to upload a previously working firmware and get those features back.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the other post i made was that i couldn't download the release notes. it brings me back to the downloads page so i'm not sure what was added/removed/etc.

i will test the camera and if things appear to be working w/o issue i won't upgrade. but i stand by my firmware post.

thanks.

edit

if i upgrade to a firmware that breaks something/removes something, i should be able to upload a previously working firmware and get those features back.
Some cameras are unable to go backwards with firmware updates, Fortunately so far we haven't seen that with Dahua, but Hikvision you cannot go back on firmware with some models.

It is always something with these firmwares LOL.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I fully agree with wittaj, as we all do here...

Very simple Rule for Security Cameras, if it is working don't mess with it, firmware wise. Security updates are not a concern for us since Rule One, No Camera should every have Internet access, Period. If you are having a problem with a feature of a camera and there is a firmware fix, by all means update, just be aware, as wittaj has stated, other feature could and have been removed.

I personally wait a few months and read as much about the released firmware as I can before I update.

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I fully agree with wittaj, as we all do here...

Very simple Rule for Security Cameras, if it is working don't mess with it, firmware wise. Security updates are not a concern for us since Rule One, No Camera should every have Internet access, Period. If you are having a problem with a feature of a camera and there is a firmware fix, by all means update, just be aware, as wittaj has stated, other feature could and have been removed.

I personally wait a few months and read as much about the released firmware as I can before I update.
let me take a step back. i wasn't implying that everyone should be on the latest firmware at all times. i don't really use hikvision and dahua cameras but i know some of the camera features only worked/were accessible with internet explorer which has now been replaced by edge. i figured since it had been over a year since i've plugged this camera in that there would have been a firmware update to address this web gui issue. i'm not saying there is, i just assumed there would be an updated web gui assuming the camera could support that.

i almost never update the camera firmware unless i have a reason to and my cameras don't connect to the internet.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
let me take a step back. i wasn't implying that everyone should be on the latest firmware at all times. i don't really use hikvision and dahua cameras but i know some of the camera features only worked/were accessible with internet explorer which has now been replaced by edge. i figured since it had been over a year since i've plugged this camera in that there would have been a firmware update to address this web gui issue. i'm not saying there is, i just assumed there would be an updated web gui assuming the camera could support that.

i almost never update the camera firmware unless i have a reason to and my cameras don't connect to the internet.
Nope unfortunately the firmware update did not fix the browser issue.

Even with the new S3 model and the new GUI (white instead of grey) that was supposed to address the web browser, we are finding it still works best with Explorer.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Even with the new S3 model and the new GUI (white instead of grey) that was supposed to address the web browser, we are finding it still works best with Explorer.
Does this Chrome Extension work on the newer GUI?

1701373489431.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Should you decide to update, here is where he is keeping all the downloads now in one place:

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

yeah, that's also unfortunate and a big reason i've stayed away from these cams over the years. that really needs to get fixed.

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Should you decide to update, here is where he is keeping all the downloads now in one place:

do you know why the update notes don't work on the empiretech01.com site?

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Keep in mind there are different chipsets now and two different firmware's depending on whether you have the old gui (grey) or the new gui (white).

What issue are you having that you hope firmware will fix and what version are you on now?
Device Type IPC-T5442T-ZE

System Version V2.840.15OG00D.0.R, Build Date: 2022-08-18

WEB Version V3.2.1.1261216

ONVIF Version 21.12(V3.1.0.1235054)

Algorithm Version 1.0.7

Security Baseline Version V2.1

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Device Type IPC-T5442T-ZE

System Version V2.840.15OG00D.0.R, Build Date: 2022-08-18

WEB Version V3.2.1.1261216

ONVIF Version 21.12(V3.1.0.1235054)

Algorithm Version 1.0.7

Security Baseline Version V2.1
After all the discussion, you are on the most recent firmware for that camera LOL.

I am not sure why the release notes circle back to the same page. I know I have seen them before there.

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After all the discussion, you are on the most recent firmware for that camera LOL.

I am not sure why the release notes circle back to the same page. I know I have seen them before there.
i'm not 100% sure, but i think the reason i updated to this version was to fix the constant call home issue this camera had. i think you could turn it of and it would turn itself back on after x amount of time.

Zimberto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Having the list of firmwares on the website this is a big improvement on what was before - basically this thread and others.
Many of the firmwares listed do have release notes, so someone is trying to be systematic.
The latest firmware for this camera family is over a year old, but it seems to work OK, at least for me.

Reaction score
Is there any fix yet on using EMpire techs firmware vs Dahuas when using the cam with a vms like DW spectrum. In the past ive had to use Dahua firmware for Dw spectrum to pull up the dahua sdk for smart events