IPC-T5442T-ZE IPC-T5442TM-AS IPC-T5842T-ZE SMD 3.0 Smart IR Latest New Firmware From EmpireTech

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As you know, the manuals for these cams are basically non-existent, so much of it is learned and trial and error.

Back when I was a NOOB and was having trouble with false triggers, @Wildcat_1 offered to TeamViewer in and help me out. If you are not aware, he knows the ins and outs of these cameras like nobody else and is always providing input to Dahua engineers on their code. The first thing he did was changed my min object size to 0,0 and said let AI do it's thing and only put in min sizes to knock out false triggers like a dog being mistaken as a human. And the min object size of 0,0 has worked with every camera I have added ever since.

I have posted this before how IVS did not trigger all night during a snow storm except for when there really was a person.

1642785418964.png

And here is a clip from another camera from snow we had last night, so some similar floaters like you had that sent yours off. BI motion picked it up, but not a single IVS trigger except for when a person triggered it:

View attachment snow no IVS triggers.mp4

Last edited:

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well, thanks for the history. In the past and on different versions of FW, and the latest, I started with min size 0,0. Due to various false triggers, I had to increase the min size to filter them out. I can see why you do not have any false alerts from the cold environment you live in. Don't know why you do not have any animals/rodents running around. The bugs/spiders are non-stop year round here. Thanks for your input and your contributions to IPCT.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well I get those as well, especially in the summer it is nonstop bugs flying in front of the camera, but the IVS doesn't trigger.

But we also see different fields of view see different things. Mine do not have a lot in the background like yours does. I think in your field of view, I could see how maybe the floater when it passed over that plant/pot, it must have identified it as one object and met the AI profile for a human?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well, thanks for the history. In the past and on different versions of FW, and the latest, I started with min size 0,0. Due to various false triggers, I had to increase the min size to filter them out. I can see why you do not have any false alerts from the cold environment you live in. Don't know why you do not have any animals/rodents running around. The bugs/spiders are non-stop year round here. Thanks for your input and your contributions to IPCT.
I have all sorts of critters running around all year long.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for tagging me in @wittaj and the kind words. Always happy to help and certainly (hope it goes without saying at this point) if anyone here needs it, just DM me and I'll setup a remote connect to help you dial in and calibrate your cams for your specific FOV and target requirements.

Yes as I mentioned when I worked with you initially, leaving at 0,0 is the best way to ensure that the AI algorithms make the target decision of a correctly configured / dialed in FOV. For most cases the 0,0 will yield the best results. There are some circumstance where I recommend or will dial in specific target sizes for improved target caps. Example of this are crowded FOV's (think highly populated foreground objects with distant target requirements) or FOV's where you want to hyper focus a target cap based on requirement. Other examples are PTZ rollouts (based on install location, FOV, desired target, time on target etc) where as I always show the key is consistent tracking throughout a given time or location window. This is important to ensure that even in snow or low contrast conditions on site that you can track a target as I've shown in my videos. With the addition of further improvements to AI algorithms in both the security profiles used by Dahua/Hik etc + improvements in standard Motion Detection such as SMD (SMD 4.0 is on the horizon for release this year) etc, these newer cams are attempting to take the guess work out of target config. Does this mean the cams don't need proper dialing in, absolutely not. To be honest I find they need more now than before BUT the goal for successful future SecTech devices is really a combination of AI + ML (on cam) to truly learn and be trained from the environment these are deployed in vs just ML training completed in a lab, embedded onto SOC's and shipped as statically programmed devices.

Specific to this current FW, I have seen improvements in the backend code in the latest release (been testing since late Dec) which have assisted in reducing environmental false triggers (snow, wind, rain etc) as @looney2ns and @wittaj also commented AND I've also seen improved speed of target acquisition. There are however still some tweaks that could improve 'real' target identification as well as address some edge case installs/FOV's and cam releases as I mentioned a few pages back that still need integration here. Don't get me wrong, its improving but a little bit more work and this could be as close to perfect as we'll see (will never be 100%). Lets not forget though that SmartIR is currently not part of this current release being discussed here (21-11-05) and of course also plays a role for target acquisition (in darker and/or at night scenarios) and correct AI identification against algorithm which I believe we'll see around end of Feb / March timeframe (due to the coming new year in the JAPAC region). This will impact the performance of this FW (in a positive way) too. I continue to feedback to Dah and other engineering / dev teams almost weekly on what I am seeing across different FW, code and device releases to get these improvements integrated ASAP. This is also to try and ensure that we all (along with manufacturers too) benefit from consistent quality in releases going forward and in the case of FW, with the right base code being used where cams share chipsets on a release (i.e. VOLT etc). An example of this is SmartIR / SMD so that rather than re-inventing the wheel on each release (FW or cam) that work already completed (e.g. the SmartIR re-work that I proposed and worked with Dahua on last year) become the default which reduces frustration for us users, installers, integrators and ideally reduces day 0 issues. This is also important to ensure that manufacturers have a 'pause for thought' on trying to use the same code when cams are very different (think 5442 vs Color4K-X both sharing the same base code and AGC algorithms originally) therefore leading to issues when utilized in the real world.

Glad we're seeing these improvements and there will be more to come. We'll also see the benefit of more 1/1.2" sensors this year which by improving clarity (without boosting to ridiculous MP's) also improve the hit ratio of AI/ML. For those that still see issues, I definitely recommend throwing an SD card into your cam, look at what's recorded locally/directly by the cam rather than through a standalone NVR or NVR platform. This will help you identify issues both in config and in FOV as well as isolate anything introduced by the recording platform itself.

HTH, look forward to the next code release. My thanks as always to @EMPIRETECANDY too as he also helps put pressure and 'motivate' the manufactures to stand up and pay attention.

As you know, the manuals for these cams are basically non-existent, so much of it is learned and trial and error.

Back when I was a NOOB and was having trouble with false triggers, @Wildcat_1 offered to TeamViewer in and help me out. If you are not aware, he knows the ins and outs of these cameras like nobody else and is always providing input to Dahua engineers on their code. The first thing he did was changed my min object size to 0,0 and said let AI do it's thing and only put in min sizes to knock out false triggers like a dog being mistaken as a human. And the min object size of 0,0 has worked with every camera I have added ever since.

I have posted this before how IVS did not trigger all night during a snow storm except for when there really was a person.

View attachment 116276

And here is a clip from another camera from snow we had last night, so some similar floaters like you had that sent yours off. BI motion picked it up, but not a single IVS trigger except for when a person triggered it:

View attachment 116277

fstop

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does any of the firmware versions allow control of the "day/night" mode? I'm running the latest version and have run the older version and it's always been grayed out for me. I have a situation where there's enough light to kick into "day" mode, but then reverts back to "night" mode and will keep switching between the two. I think it's on the border of level of the two modes and I'd just like to force it to night mode.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All of them have had that. Are you using Internet Explorer? These things can be browser dependent.

Keep in mind that the day/night mode doesn't do what you think it does. You need to either set a schedule or use this utility:

fstop

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm on a Mac. I've tried it with Safari, Firefox, and Chrome. All gray out the "mode" selection and it's stuck on "auto". I figured out the issue. I have the schedule set to day/night. With that selection, you can't force the mode. I was thinking of it intuitively that it was just switching between day/night when it's actually day/night outside, but the only way the camera knows day from night is the detected light level, so the light that turns on fools the camera into thinking it's "daytime". I just switched to a mode schedule based on the time of day, and that allowed me to force select night mode at night time, regardless of light levels.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Dahua decided to force these settings when you have profile on "day/night"

You cannot set night mode with color when profile is "day/night". If you want that, you have to run a sunset script which change the schedule times automatic or just use 24h ONE profile
Without sunset script it is impossible to have any good settings in schedule profile. Only if you run the camera in auto mode (exposure) this will work somehow.

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Really looking forward to seeing the evaluation of this new firmware from @Wildcat_1 , @looney2ns , and other distinguished (more experienced) forum members.

Perhaps I am too new at this, but my preliminary impressions from using the "latest/recommended" firmware from July 2021 are underwhelming as to IVS performance. I get frequent accurate trips in one direction (when the crossing should be bidirectional), but rarely in the opposite direction of crossing. This is with tripwire or intrusion, crosses or appears, regardless of any other setting. My 5442 cameras are all recent (March to August 2021) production dates. This is in a fairly simple corridor shaped space that should be simple to define too. Fingers crossed that this new version is an improvement.

Edit: Yes, I know that many prefer the December 2020 firmware, but I'd prefer to move forwards rather than backwards (if there are genuine improvements in this version).

Last edited:

amdpowered

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Really looking forward to seeing the evaluation of this new firmware from @Wildcat_1 , @looney2ns , and other distinguished (more experienced) forum members.

Perhaps I am too new at this, but my preliminary impressions from using the "latest/recommended" firmware from July 2021 are underwhelming as to IVS performance. I get frequent accurate trips in one direction (when the crossing should be bidirectional), but rarely in the opposite direction of crossing. This is with tripwire or intrusion, crosses or appears, regardless of any other setting. My 5442 cameras are all recent (March to August 2021) production dates. This is in a fairly simple corridor shaped space that should be simple to define too. Fingers crossed that this new version is an improvement.

Edit: Yes, I know that many prefer the December 2020 firmware, but I'd prefer to move forwards rather than backwards (if there are genuine improvements in this version).
There was a Nov 2021 release without Smart IR. That's been reported with good IVS performance. I'm thinking this most recent beta is built on that release.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
There was a Nov 2021 release without Smart IR. That's been reported with good IVS performance. I'm thinking this most recent beta is built on that release.
This new FW takes the SmartIR issues and fixes I had demonstrated (along with others) earlier last year when I broke out all of the problems that the original releases were facing. Therefore my hope is that this will work nicely. Loading it on multiple cams and will report back. In the meantime there was also a 5842 SmartIR beta in December that I tried for that cam (slightly different config to accommodate SmartIR) and that worked very well too. Therefore that should also be released either separately or part of a combined VOLT branch. Will report back

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
This new FW takes the SmartIR issues and fixes I had demonstrated (along with others) earlier last year when I broke out all of the problems that the original releases were facing. Therefore my hope is that this will work nicely. Loading it on multiple cams and will report back. In the meantime there was also a 5842 SmartIR beta in December that I tried for that cam (slightly different config to accommodate SmartIR) and that worked very well too. Therefore that should also be released either separately or part of a combined VOLT branch. Will report back
1 quick update. I always try the VOLT related FW's on all VOLT cameras to test across the board. In this case this FW does NOT play nice with the 5241's like the Z12. Therefore would NOT recommend installing or testing there if you are inclined. Will continue to test on the 5442's and report back but wanted to make people aware of that. Specific issue includes pulsing or flashing image and then 3DNR appearing (from analysis) to be turned off even though the GUI shows its on, tons of artifacting and noise. Factory resetting a Z12 and downgrading to 09/30 for example showed no issue BUT upgrading back to the latest and the issue returned. Reported back to Dahua

Last edited:

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hmm...the suspense is killing me :). I hope that the news isn't negative for the results of testing for the 5442 series cams, given the bad news for using this beta on the 5241 cameras. Fingers crossed.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
All

As promised, I’ve completed my testing of this FW (22-02-18). I tested this against 4 x 5442’s in the end (3 turrets with different HW versions + 1 bullet cam) and other VOLT cameras including the 5241-Z12. As long as you use this FW with 5442’s only (based on my findings and issues with 5241 & other VOLT cams) then in summary, I do see improvements here.

Let me break down some of the key areas below:

SmartIR - This is now more on point to the recommendations I made last year and that we saw implemented early on BUT needed a little further work based on additional feedback I sent Dahua inline with SMD releases branches. Glad to say this has now made it into this release and overall works pretty well (see quick video below). With that said, there is 1 issue I have with it and that is the transition of SmartIR isn’t as smooth as I’d like. To be clear (and you can see it in the video below) its a more pronounced step ladder in its approach to kicking up or down IR strength BUT certainly the ending result (no IR washout) is what we all want to see and a marked improvement on previous SMD based releases. I am feeding back the ‘step ladder’ IR approach to see what can be done there in future to adjust it to be smoother / quicker as it was on the early SmartIR FW I tested last year after my feedback and approved wholeheartedly. Again, this is not a dealbreaker BUT I think with a little more tweaking this can be perfect. I'm also testing a 5842 SmartIR FW and on that it works very smoothly so will be looking into implementation in that code to identify differences between these for Dahua.​
SMD 3.0 - I also saw improvements here in my testing. Specifically in the areas of Target Identification (where I saw no false hits, even from deer in multiple days of testing) and in Target Acquisition Speed. To be clear, thats not to say that you'll never see false hits BUT in other versions I would have typically experienced some within this longer testing period. The latter (Target Acquisition Speed) has improved albeit I still think a little more work can be done here which would assist in tighter FOV’s. Either way this release represents an overall improvement here in my testing. As an example, I was seeing vehicles tagged as SMD hits and in reviewing the clip wondered IF the algorithm would actually target correctly and sure enough even at a distance of over 100’ from cam, the target would be acquired and tracked even as it passed foreground objects. This worked well with Human identification as well. From an overall SMD 3.0 perspective on these cams, while I think a little tweaking can be done here, I want to be clear that I think this is getting close to the limits of what is possible (theoretical max If you will) with current SOC and algorithm in use on this range of cams. Will be interesting to see SMD 4.0 this year and how that performs (I feel a comparison feature video coming up SMD 3.0 vs 4.0 etc) :)
IVS - Similar to SMD, I saw improvements in both identification and acquisition although depending on HW version and IVS rule type, this is still a little slow. While I didn’t see any mis-categorizations on this FW so far, I DID see the speed of acquisition was still somewhat delayed (for clarity: improved but delayed) especially when pushing the camera. Specifically, I noticed this more so on Tripwire rules where in a perfect storm scenario test I did (distance to target about 80ft, target crossing right to left of FOV) that there was about a 1-2 second delay in target box acquisition. This can be more problematic with super tight FOV's as although you have a more clearly definable target, if your FOV only allows it a limited time within the FOV, then you might miss a cap. Just remember pre-record is your friend here and be careful that if you rely heavily on Trips + have a tight FOV with limited time on target, to configure your rules accordingly for improved success. Reach out to me if you need any assistance on that.​

So, overall, definitely an improvement over the last FW in the areas above, just remember the caveats I call out to set expectations correctly. I’m going to feed back these additional findings to Dahua as well and have already let them know about the issues with ‘other’ VOLT based cameras such as the 5241 for further investigation by them.

HTH and as always, let me know with any questions

SmartIR Test Video - No Light On Scene Except In Background