IpCamTalk Wall Idea.

dalepa

Reaction score
I had a thought...

It would be interesting to have a site where members could use BI to FTP images and post semi-live (every minute or so) photos from their cameras to a "wall"

It would be cool to see all the cams updating from one website, filter cams by vendor, model,etc..

BI already does posting every X seconds, so we just need a website to take pics and organize and display them.

Maybe a site already exists lite this...

Thought end

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I had a thought...

It would be interesting to have a site where members could use BI to FTP images and post semi-live (every minute or so) photos from their cameras to a "wall"

It would be cool to see all the cams updating from one website, filter cams by vendor, model,etc..

BI already does posting every X seconds, so we just need a website to take pics and organize and display them.

Maybe a site already exists lite this...

Thought end
I'm bout it, as long as we can restrict which cams go up, I don't want people seeing my indoor cams. :)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been wanting to build something like that for a long time. I kind of did, but all the cams are hard coded and the FTP accounts have to be set up separately and everything is a mess. Also it can be slow at times since it is on Godaddy's cheapest hosting plan that has unlimited disk space. In this particular example, 5 of the cams on that page are completely 3rd party cams that we only just link to from that one page, but 7 of them are using FTP. The one on the lower right without a caption is a Hik 2032.

But I've always wanted to rebuild this in a way where I could log in and set up an account for someone in 30 seconds.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I've been wanting to build something like that for a long time. I kind of did, but all the cams are hard coded and the FTP accounts have to be set up separately and everything is a mess. Also it can be slow at times since it is on Godaddy's cheapest hosting plan that has unlimited disk space. In this particular example, 5 of the cams on that page are completely 3rd party cams that we only just link to from that one page, but 7 of them are using FTP. The one on the lower right without a caption is a Hik 2032.

But I've always wanted to rebuild this in a way where I could log in and set up an account for someone in 30 seconds.

Judging by your BI projects and that PTZ interface you built, I'm gonna say you could do a very good job, if all you need is a place to host it I am sure someone could come up with some space.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps. Most web hosts are really stingy with disk space though, if not bandwidth too. At 10 minute upload intervals, each camera tends to use 5 to 10+ GB per year which really starts to add up when you've got a lot of cameras running for years. I think that site is up to about 200 GB of disk usage, for example, with just 7 cameras being stored there and most of them only online for about 3 years average. So this type of thing would fill up most disk quotas in a matter of 2 or 3 years, if not months.

Anyway Godaddy has "unlimited disk space" in their relatively cheap hosting plans, but they have a hidden limit of 250,000 files and when you exceed that they complain and say it slows down their backups if people have that many files. Apparently they give you about 3 days to fix it too. So about a year back I had to delete 2 years worth of pics from a bunch of cams and hack my app to store all new pics in a single file per camera per day. So it is a real mess up there and sooner or later I will be replacing that web app with a new smarter one that anyone can install and use on their own web server with their own cameras.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Perhaps. Most web hosts are really stingy with disk space though, if not bandwidth too. At 10 minute upload intervals, each camera tends to use 5 to 10+ GB per year which really starts to add up when you've got a lot of cameras running for years. I think that site is up to about 200 GB of disk usage, for example, with just 7 cameras being stored there and most of them only online for about 3 years average. So this type of thing would fill up most disk quotas in a matter of 2 or 3 years, if not months.

Anyway Godaddy has "unlimited disk space" in their relatively cheap hosting plans, but they have a hidden limit of 250,000 files and when you exceed that they complain and say it slows down their backups if people have that many files. Apparently they give you about 3 days to fix it too. So about a year back I had to delete 2 years worth of pics from a bunch of cams and hack my app to store all new pics in a single file per camera per day. So it is a real mess up there and sooner or later I will be replacing that web app with a new smarter one that anyone can install and use on their own web server with their own cameras.

Make it like 4chan, except images get to stay up for like a week unless they are deemed worthy of an archive lol.