IPCT recommended firmware updates - ok, it's at your own risk

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am aware that the general advice on here is against undertaking firmware updating, if it ain’t broke why fix it. Yes I read reports of the risks of updating firmware particularly with those using grey market sourced hardware. Nevertheless I see new firmware is available, do I or don't I update.

Yet the manufacturers are unlikely to get their firmware perfect first time, why otherwise would they keep issuing firmware updates? Surely those with legit hardware at least might benefit when balanced against the risks.

A suggestion, would our experts be willing to put their head above the parapet and recommend an update as being worthwhile, but definitely at our own risk. No complaints.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am aware that the general advice on here is against undertaking firmware updating, if it ain’t broke why fix it. Yes I read reports of the risks of updating firmware particularly with those using grey market sourced hardware. Nevertheless I see new firmware is available, do I or don't I update.

Yet the manufacturers are unlikely to get their firmware perfect first time, why otherwise would they keep issuing firmware updates? Surely those with legit hardware at least might benefit when balanced against the risks.

A suggestion, would our experts be willing to put their head above the parapet and recommend an update as being worthwhile, but definitely at our own risk. No complaints.
for what exact camera?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Your camera should not have internet access. Therefore firmware updates will not provide any additional security.

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A manufacturer's updates are not always about security. Updates are not just for cameras, unless you have BI, which itself has its own updates.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
A manufacturer's updates are not always about security. Updates are not just for cameras, unless you have BI, which itself has its own updates.
If you're having a specific issue that you want to resolve feel free to upgrade. There's no additional risk of upgrading grey market cameras, these are international cameras that are fully firmware upgradeable just like their us counterparts. The risk is in China region cameras that arrived with hacked firmware.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My personal take on this is if the firmware fixes an issue that effects the cameras functionality or adds a feature I think I will use I will update my hardware. As @fenderman said any camera shouldn't be able to reach the internet so if the firmware offers a security fix I tend to ignore it as its irreverent as the camera is not at risk as not being able to dial out.

I have a few test rigs, Blueiris, cameras etc which I will run any firmware updates on and bench test for a period of time until I'm happy to role it out into production. Prior to this I will always read forums etc to see what issues have been made apparent with any update.

But my golden rule "Don't update unless you really need to!" and most of the time you don't need to! :)

Panopticon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Attachments