IPv6 only WAN configuration

Reaction score
I am trying to configure latest edition of BlueIris software to run over Hughesnet Gen5 earth station.
Other Apps run correctly with IPv6 only Gen5 network, but I cannot get BlueIris to install correctly because only the WAN address setup field accepts an IPv6 address.

Has anyone put together a set of rough notes to install BlueIris software latest edition on an IPv6 WAN (only) network?

jtaps

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the same issue here in Canada. I subscribe to Xplornet, which uses space on the new Hughes Jupiter satellite. The earth station-satellite-home modem interface only supports IPv6. From what I understand, packets are IPv4 between the modem and LAN router. The format to your BlueIris server should be: http://[IPv6 address]port number. An example would be: http:[2006:0:5e5f:86fb:4e8:a0b7:2f8d:7ff4]:8001. You should be able to find your modems IPv6 address when running ipconfig from the cmd window. However, I have yet to get this to work. Let me know if you have had any success.

Last edited:

Jareds

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Jeez I didn't know hughesnet was still around, exceptfor credit card transactions. I used to install it as a contractor for a few years. The speeds back then we're terrible but it sure beat 56k which is the only other option people had in rural areas. I figured by now everyone should have access to high speed internet and didn't think there was much of a market for it. But i guess there is still very rural areas that need it. may I ask what kind of speeds you are getting?

jtaps

n3wb
Reaction score
The new Jupiter 2 sat is providing download speeds of 25Mb, and up at 10. I subscribe to 100Gb/mo service package for $87/mo, which is not bad considering the cost of this tech. But this IPv6 is killing me. I tried every conceivable combination to hit my BlueIris web server last night. Still no success. I'm at a complete loss at this point. I am not even sure I am using the correct IPv6 address, and Tech Support says they cannot check this. Think I may go back to their slower IPv4 based service.

Jared

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i read somewhere that you cant use the ipv6 address that is visible to the public, you would have to use the ipv6 address that you see in your modem/router, dont know if this would help you or not. I also read that it is not static and that the ip could change pretty frequently. i wish you luck.

jtaps

n3wb
Reaction score
You are correct in that the address is not static. Unfortunately, the HTML interface into the sat modem does not provide IPv6 information. The router does, but the IPv6 address does not work. And strangely, the IPv6 address provided when running IPCONFIG is entirely different from what I can find in the router. Tech Support is of no help. My questions/problem is way beyond their knowledgebase.

Jared

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
according to this you are SOL. it seems to have been discussed here. I know this for a fact from contracting with them. They claim to offer the most secure internet on the planet and this is why you see their dishes all over gas stations and supermarkets, the pa lottery uses them, etc. 95% of their customers are stores and stores use them for credit card transactions. I dont know if its still this way, but i would imagine it is.

access outside of local internet