IR Illuminator problem

Woody70

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have installed an IR illuminator around two feet from my IP camera and it makes a glare in my camera can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong. It does go over my car and I was wondering if that is my problem. Here is photos of it with and without the IR. No IR.PNGWith IR-.PNGThank for any help.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Part of it looks like it might be a smudge on the lens that is picking it up, but IR reflection can come from anywhere or anything even outside the field of view.

If you move the car does the blob move or is it still there.

Plus those are two different field of views. The first one you can see the street light and the 2nd one you cannot. I assume you confirmed at this current field of view that this blob isn't there with the IR off?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Not to be a smartass but move it? Looks like a little lens flare so guessing that the camera is angled enough toward it to cause that. Try to get a different position where it's off-angle more. Most of the illuminators have a very wide dispersion so you'll likely still have good coverage from it pretty much wherever. Doesn't need to be (and often better not) pointed directly at where you're trying to light.

Which camera? Won't cure the glare issue but some work better without the on-board IR turned on.

Last edited:

Woody70

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Part of it looks like it might be a smudge on the lens that is picking it up, but IR reflection can come from anywhere or anything even outside the field of view.

If you move the car does the blob move or is it still there.

Plus those are two different field of views. The first one you can see the street light and the 2nd one you cannot. I assume you confirmed at this current field of view that this blob isn't there with the IR off?
Yes, there is no blob with it off, and no matter where I turn the Illuminator it does the same thing. I have not tried moving the car, I will do that tonight.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Turning it may not solve it if the camera still has enough of the light from it hitting the lens. You'd need to change the position of it relative to the cam enough to get away from that. Try turning the cam a little more away from it. Not that you'd want to leave it that way but will tell you quickly if that's the problem and can go from there.

Woody70

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Turning it may not solve it if the camera still has enough of the light from it hitting the lens. You'd need to change the position of it relative to the cam enough to get away from that. Try turning the cam a little more away from it. Not that you'd want to leave it that way but will tell you quickly if that's the problem and can go from there.
Thank you for the reply. I have tried that moving the camera in the other direction and it did make a small difference but not much.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
What camera and how is it mounted? Can you post a pic of it and the illuminator? Anything else outside of the view that would be reflecting back like a wall, soffit, guttering?

Woody70

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What camera and how is it mounted? Can you post a pic of it and the illuminator? Anything else outside of the view that would be reflecting back like a wall, soffit, guttering?
Thank you everyone for their help. I finally figured it out. I had the illuminator mounted wrong. After remounting it and pointing it in the same direction the camera is facing it is working fine now. I had it crossing the cameras view.