Ir lamps

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyone using Ir lamps to light up area? Thinking if they are low power consumption to but some on the fence posts to light up a area better.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In general, the more power they use, the brighter they will be. I use the Tri-Illuminator from WrightwoodSurveilllance.com, nice even light and bright, costs about $60 with the power supply and uses about 8W with three 2W LEDs.

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's pretty clear! If your lamp was in corner of patio facing camera would it effect picture? I know my camera faces house and when I have lights on in rooms it blurs out portion of house at night time. What about regular led bulbs?

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can't have the light shine into the camera, that would create backlighting, like the sun behind you in a picture, makes the subject look like a silhouette. I do use regular LED bulbs at the front of my home by the driveway, on dusk to dawn, got them at Home Depot, 60W equivalent, works great. It's that some parts of your home, you can't always do bright lights at night because it may shine into your bedroom or neighbors bedrooms.