IR light in the daytime?

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Before I get to my post, I want to put a broadcast out there. If you are in British Columbia or Alberta and doing LPR, please contact me.

Now for my actual posting...

I am having lots of fun with LPR so far, still testing with my existing PTZ - during daylight only.

When it gets too dark, I take the PTZ out of service. Here is a shot during the day.

light.png

Looks nice and works good. Here is a shot a couple hours later, it is getting dark by this time.

dark.png

I know it is caused by lack of light, no big deal. My question is about IR. The photo of the Jeep it is not yet dark, but clearly not light anymore and it is amazing Open ALPR is still able to work with an image like that.

At what point do you switch to IR mode? Could I be using IR mode with IR lights 24/7 ? During the middle of the day, does IR have any impact?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You should be able to run IR 24/7 but you will probably have to leave it in B&W 24/7 and set IR to Manual

i Leave one if my LPR cameras in B&W 24/7, not sure it will make much difference though..

Reaction score
NOT an HOA I bet, we have to have our stuff down by Jan 15 or they send you a violation notice sometimes with a fine attached.

Last edited:

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'd be curious what you come up with. I use the Dahua SunriseSunset tool to switch mine from color to B/W-IR. There is a period of time where I don't get captures after the initial switch because the lighting is not quite right yet. I've thought of sticking to B/W all the time but I think I'd still have to change the shutter speed and such. Our street is pitch black at night so I have to go to IR or I'll get headlight washout. I really like the LED light-bar idea but I'd be blinding drivers passing by!

What I really need to do is spend some time playing with it again and probably adjust the sunrise/sunset offset. Just haven't had time to fool around with it. I also have the loss of focus sometimes at night and saved info from another thread about how to disable auto-focus and call predetermined focus settings but I haven't touched that yet either.

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'd be curious what you come up with. I use the Dahua SunriseSunset tool to switch mine from color to B/W-IR. There is a period of time where I don't get captures after the initial switch because the lighting is not quite right yet. I've thought of sticking to B/W all the time but I think I'd still have to change the shutter speed and such. Our street is pitch black at night so I have to go to IR or I'll get headlight washout. I really like the LED light-bar idea but I'd be blinding drivers passing by!

What I really need to do is spend some time playing with it again and probably adjust the sunrise/sunset offset. Just haven't had time to fool around with it. I also have the loss of focus sometimes at night and saved info from another thread about how to disable auto-focus and call predetermined focus settings but I haven't touched that yet either.
I tested mine...it won't blind drivers.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I tested mine...it won't blind drivers.
Do you generally have good lighting along your street? We have no lighting other than the flood above my driveway so I think I’d have to throw a lot of light into the street. Possibly annoying neighbors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

FWIW I have one I keep in B&W 24/7 and switch exposure using Schedule and have no problems. There is a street light close by though...