IR ranging issue's with SD59225U-HNI after firmware update.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You may have seen my other post's regarding this.
After upgrading the firmware to the July Version, the IR will not zoom properly with the lens.
Cam has two sets of IR emitters, one for close/wide viewing, and another that turns on for longer distance zooming.
This used to work just fine, until the July update. Now when zooming, the long distance IR beam turns on at zoom level 2-3 (way to early), with cause's a very bright hotspot in the pic. Continuing to zoom out, the long distance IR turns back off at zoom level 7, about where it actually should be turning on. It shouldn't turn off at all all the way out to zoom level 25.

The July update also introduced, firmware signing. So, I can't go back to an older version.

When a firmware update came out dated 9/6/17, I updated to that one hoping it would cure the issue, but no go. Same problem exists

Andy has attempted to help with this, but I think possibly the language barrier is interfering. He came back after talking to Dahua and told me to hard reset the cam with the reset button inside the cam. Then re-install the same firmware again and reset the the cam to defaults after doing the firmware upload.

I've done this 3 times, and no cure.

There are 4 other members here that have this same cam and have mentioned having the exact same problem with IR zooming after the July update.

So, my question to the guru's here, How likely is it, that it is a faulty, incomplete or corrupt firmware upload, as Andy/Dahua suggest VS an honest to goodness firmware bug causing this? Meaning no amount of hard resetting the cam will solve this.

By the way, the firmware updates involve two different file uploads, one is strictly for the PTZ function, the other is the main operating firmware.

It certainly appears that from other issue's I've read that Dahua does not do the QC on firmware that they should.

Anyway, greatly appreciate any help.

@bp2008 @cor35vet @fenderman @tangent @EMPIRETECANDY @zero-degrees @alastairstevenson

Last edited:

cor35vet

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
>upgrade firmware
>thing that worked before doesn't anymore
Yep, definitely sounds like a software bug + bad QC from Dahua. Wouldn't be the first time anyways.

If you want to revert to an older firmware then you should/have to get a serial UART dongle like this one:
CP2102 USB 2.0 to TTL UART Module 6Pin Serial Converter STC Replace FT232 Module | eBay

Or if you can get into telnet and run "upgraded" then you can connect on port 3800 using ConfigTool and flash the old firmware through that.

Otherwise all you've got left is hope for Dahua to fix it

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
You are in good company loony, I have USA resellers that have given me upgrade BIN files for my NVR's and have lost some functions like IVS. I cannot downgrade either and no answer in sight 4 months later. Dahua sells out the back door knowing they will not have to support those products and I really wonder sometimes if its stuff that did not pass their quality tests or had misbehaving chipsets...who knows their are so MANY different versions and look alike models of the same hardware out there it hard to keep track of. I will say this about the hardware, its failure rate in my case is ZERO and if I have issues its usually self inflicted by a firmware update. If you want support from a USA reseller you will pay a premium price for the camera and that is their business model. I guess this is the price we pay for as some say "Budget" hardware. Even at the price i pay for my gear for usa stuff I will say Its still boatloads cheaper that buying Axis or Pelco and does a GREAT job for what I need it for. I did a building with 14 cams and a viewing system with a stoked PC and 40" HD TV for $6300 and TYCO had a estimate of over $30,000 for the same job and that did not include them running the cat 6 runs. Hopefully Andy will come through for you on this.

GuitarKin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You may have seen my other post's regarding this.
After upgrading the firmware to the July Version, the IR will not zoom properly with the lens.
Cam has two sets of IR emitters, one for close/wide viewing, and another that turns on for longer distance zooming.
This used to work just fine, until the July update. Now when zooming, the long distance IR beam turns on at zoom level 2-3 (way to early), with cause's a very bright hotspot in the pic. Continuing to zoom out, the long distance IR turns back off at zoom level 7, about where it actually should be turning on. It shouldn't turn off at all all the way out to zoom level 25.

The July update also introduced, firmware signing. So, I can't go back to an older version.

When a firmware update came out for Sept, I updated to that one hoping it would cure the issue, but no go. Same problem exists

Andy has attempted to help with this, but I think possibly the language barrier is interfering. He came back after talking to Dahua and told me to hard reset the cam with the reset button inside the cam. Then re-install the same firmware again and reset the the cam to defaults after doing the firmware upload.

I've done this 3 times, and no cure.

There are 4 other members here that have this same cam and have mentioned having the exact same problem with IR zooming after the July update.

So, my question to the guru's here, How likely is it, that it is a faulty, incomplete or corrupt firmware upload, as Andy/Dahua suggest VS an honest to goodness firmware bug causing this? Meaning no amount of hard resetting the cam will solve this.

By the way, the firmware updates involve two different file uploads, one is strictly for the PTZ function, the other is the main operating firmware.

It certainly appears that from other issue's I've read that Dahua does not do the QC on firmware that they should.

Anyway, greatly appreciate any help.

@bp2008 @cor35vet @fenderman @tangent @EMPIRETECANDY @zero-degrees @alastairstevenson
I have same problem with my SD59230U-HNI

iveco300

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Upgrade with tftp without serial cable for me worked.
It's already for a while that I reported the problem today is contacting the dealer to see a video with night ir
I have now sent hope to update something because the 2016 firmware runs ir but zero autotrack

iveco300

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I received the news from my reseller and says these cams do not have to update.
but then why publish new firmware for these cams ???
it seems ridiculous to me

iveco300

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
updating
I now reported that they know about bug i and they are about to fix it.
I hope this is so because the new firmware works fine except IR.
with 2016 firmware the autotrack is non-existent ..