IR Reflection and focus side of house location

Dilbertic

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi All,

I had 8 cameras installed, the installer mounted one of the Hikvision 2032 bullet cameras on the side of the house pointed at my gate ( about 12' up ). I am having a few issues with it now;
- The camera seems to be focused ( clear ) on the side of my house
- At night the IR is lighting up the side of the house in front of the camera which make the gate area dark.

I am thinking that if the camera wasn't flush mounted on the side of the house, say 12" out it would cut back on the issues and if thats the case what would be the best way to extend out the camera since it's a bullet cameras with a base?

Thanks so much

Dil

alltaken

n3wb
Reaction score
You could be right about the distance. I have a similar setup on one of my cams, I solved it by changing lit area.

If you go to the IP address of your cam, login and go to the "Configuration page", select "Image", look for the setting "BLC Area"

Try and change the setting to right/left etc and see if that gives you any success first.

Dilbertic

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, it does help, but I noticed the picture is now degraded, lots of grains, think in the long run I need to move the camera out of the house more, so whats the best way to extend out the bullet camera, do the make some type of mount arm that will fit the units, I have one more on the other side that needs to be move down since it clipping the underside of the roof beams. Thanks :)

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
There is nothing standard really - you're going to have to make something or frankenstein something together. If you actually paid someone for this setup to be installed honestly make it his problem to correct. Install should include calibration and setup of cameras for optimal daytime and nighttime.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There is nothing standard really - you're going to have to make something or frankenstein something together. If you actually paid someone for this setup to be installed honestly make it his problem to correct. Install should include calibration and setup of cameras for optimal daytime and nighttime.
This... installers should know about this stuff. I'm amazed by how many people are happy with sub-standard installs when just selecting the correct lens length and location makes this stuff lots better.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
This... installers should know about this stuff. I'm amazed by how many people are happy with sub-standard installs when just selecting the correct lens length and location makes this stuff lots better.
Oh there is no doubt a different lens configuration would most likely resolve this 100% very quickly. I'm amazed how many people go with a 2.8 when a 4mm should be used or a 4mm should have a been a 6mm. At the same time, its amazing how much a minor twist a fraction of an inch can resolve all IR reflection problems. This has always been my complaint with the big box store "systems in a box" that include 8 cameras that are all 3 or 4mm. Its damn near impossible to use the exact same 8 cameras and lens to get proper coverage. I understand the appeal of the "value box system" however, it comes with trade offs for sure.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
All in one boxed solutions should definitely come with a mix of lenses. 8 cams? Say 2x 2.8mm, 4x 4mm, 2x 6mm. Too many people and installers try to get one cam to do two or three jobs though.

As for the OP, if you can't just bump the cam a bit and solve the issue that way and if your house is white and the installer won't fix the issue for you (he should), I've made my own short standoff out of white PVC pipe. Use two endcaps and a length of pipe to extend it out the length you need. Screw one endcap to the house, glue in the length of pipe, and shove the outer endcap on the length of pipe. Screw the cam to the outer endcap and add a screw to keep the outer endcap from rotating on the pipe. If you use a short enough length of pipe that the caps can touch then it doesn't even look like pipe, just a nice round standoff. I had to do that to mount a camera that needed to look forward and past my gutter's down spout. White house, white dome, white downspout. 4" PVC matches things just perfectly and it's easy to drill holes in for wiring.

Dilbertic

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi All and thanks for all the replies, it might just be the camera... I bought 5 of these on ebay, they are made by Hikvision but rebranded to SVC-B-3 ( 4mm lens ), the other 4 have great pictures, so I am just starting to think maybe this one has issues. It seems the wall it's mounted to is in focus, but the gate is slightly out of focus and the street view is way out of focus. I had to turn down the brightness to 20 or most of the picture was washed out by sun light, I will have to take another photo at night to show the IR reflection issue, otherwise I might have to order a different camera, guessing a dome style.

192.168.1.244_01_20160123102224458.jpg

Let me know what you think :)

Thanks,
Dil

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Moveit away from the house so that the wall is barely in view on the left side of the camera. You may need to power cycle the camera to get it to refocus on the gate.

- - - Updated - - -

Also go up a little higher so you can capture more of the street.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Hikvision 2032 bullet cameras
These are fixed focus, not varifocal, not zoom.
Judging from your pic - despite the excessive lighting - the camera lens is out of adjustment. Any marks on the body to suggest the camera has been dropped?
In theory you might be able to fix this yourself - but I'd suggest if the installer didn't damage it you get it replaced under warranty from the seller.

Dilbertic

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback and I am thinking your right, I bought these on ebay and it could just be it's bad, so I think I will just replace the camera, I am looking at the DS-2CD22232-I5 with a mounting bracket arm which should help with the IR reflection, just not sure if I should get a 4mm or 6mm lens. The garage door is before the gate and then the house power box is after the gate on the driveway side.

I am still working out the bugs in the system, the POE hub might be short on power since sometimes I get no picture or no network to a random camera, the company that makes the POE ethernet hub is replacing it and hopefully that will fix that issue, the last issue is the camera on the other side of the house, the installer mounted it to high so I am also getting IR bounce from the eves.

Thanks,

Dil

Dil

These are fixed focus, not varifocal, not zoom.
Judging from your pic - despite the excessive lighting - the camera lens is out of adjustment. Any marks on the body to suggest the camera has been dropped?
In theory you might be able to fix this yourself - but I'd suggest if the installer didn't damage it you get it replaced under warranty from the seller.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hold on, don't get a DS-2CD2232-I5 for there, overkill, you'll probably end up with too much IR reflection.

Set the camera to 1080p / 2MP. Then rotate it 90 degrees. This will help with the IR reflection. Send all of us a snapshot of that. I suspect this will be fine for 4mm but you will have the focus issue too.

If you can send it back for the focus issue then do that.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
+1 for Del Boy comment - DS-2CD2232-I5 will be overkill. I have those under a second story eve covering close to a half acre back yard and covering a back deck and entry from 25' up. Without seeing the house or where your mounting location is you could always consider a Matrix Turret with mount.

2cd2332 - 4mm
mount : http://www.ltsecurityinc.com/camera-bracket-ltb301.html

I'll be honest though - with the proper setup and camera I believe you can flush mount this location and get the coverage you want without the reflection.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm not sure why everyone is thinking it's settings in the camera, lens, or model of camera? Simply turn the camera away from the wall, even if you get property that you don't care to see. Once the
wall is out of the picture, or just barely in it, the IR will not reflect off the wall and your night image will be just fine.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I went through the same thing as we have about the same setup. You need to pull the camera away from the wall a bit as the camera is focusing on the stucco and not the gate. If you are standing on the ground it will look like it's pointing at the neighbors gate. I was a little apprehensive at first, didn't want to spook the neighbor, but it's the only way to solve the issue unless you extend the camera out from the house. What I did was pull the camera out just enough until the cam focused on the gate and then used privacy mask to cover up the bright spot on the wall.

Home NVR_IP Camera6_Home NVR_20160124111942_37557965.jpg

Dilbertic

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi All, thanks for all the replies and help, the camera can't be returned, I bought 5 of them on ebay a few months ago and this guy had a ton of them used for sale, looked like someone went under and he was selling off gear from the place. I will try to move the camera out, but right now working with a cast on a broken foot so no ladders for me, I did order the other camera last night, fig I could always sell off the old one or give it away. A seller on ebay had the DS-2CD2232-I5 for 85 and I bought the mounting arm for it. If I recall I remember when I was setting up the cameras in my computer room, one of them had a off picture, it was late at night so I let it go, but maybe it's a bad unit or not. I ordered the new unit with a 6mm lens. I will try to move the other camera out of the wall a bit to see if that fixes the IR bounce and give an update.

Dilbertic

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If I may ask another question, one of my dome DS-2CD3345-I keeps losing picture or power recycling. The picture is black am time, I rebooted it and thepicture was all bleached out for a bit then went back to normal for a bit before turning black again, it seems to work better at night. I tried changing some of the settings, I can'e even get H265 to work on it with a picture, do you guys think it's the camera or not enough power?

Dilbertic

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Standard Cat6, to a POE 8 port hub 10/100 with 1 uplink port, when I 1st setup the system some of the cameras were dropping offline and turning back on, but now I am starting to think it's the POE hub ( not enough power or something else ) or the camera is shutting down becuase it's to bright outside am time frame, I just looked it darker outside and the camera is working.