IR Reflection ?

vinylb

n3wb
Reaction score
Greetings from first timer. I just installed 2 Amcrest IP4M-2014E poe cameras today and had very good results during the day but as evening set I noticed both cameras had a roundish flare or reflection on the top part of the image. Is the lens dirty or is this IR reflection from side walls and if any remedy for this ?

Thx in advance
Neville

Attachments

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would say either it is reflection from the right wall, or the foam ring around the lens isn't snug against the glass. Or from the sliding cover on top of the cam.

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Perhaps significantly change the direction the camera is pointed, perhaps nearly straight down. Ideally loosen the screws so the camera can move freely, watch the live feed and move the camera around, say at least 45 degrees in the vertical and horizontal. That might help tell you if it is an internal camera reflection or and external source such as the side walls. In the event it isn't obvious this change is only momentary to diagnose the source of that reflection, put the camera back to the original position when finished or as close as possible without the reflection occurring again.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings from first timer. I just installed 2 Amcrest IP4M-2014E poe cameras today and had very good results during the day but as evening set I noticed both cameras had a roundish flare or reflection on the top part of the image. Is the lens dirty or is this IR reflection from side walls and if any remedy for this ?

Thx in advance
Neville
Great ideas and suggestions from @looney2ns and @smoothie. I have a question, though: I Googled that model # and can't seem to locate it, is that correctly stated?

vinylb

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for all your suggestions and will try that out. I did contact Amcrest and they at first said it was reflections but then decided to remote in and turn off 3D NR setting on those 2 cameras. In the afternoon I installed 3 other cameras around the house and one of them with walls to the side did show some reflection tonight but not as bad as the other camera I took a screenshot of. The other 2 also did show some reflection but not as vivid. Amcrest suggested if this setting did not fix it I RMA all of them - whilst I applaud a company for trying to help, I dont think RMA is the solution since I am seeing them on all cameras.

TonyR, oops, I meant IP4M-1024E, here is link

If I recall correctly, there were threads about folks taking their cameras apart and adding filters or removing/re-attching foam ring? I dont really want to pry my new cameras apart :)

vinylb

n3wb
Reaction score
Remove the hood off the top of the cam as a test, that's the most likely culprit.
That was it !!!!!! I unscrewed the hood and moved it back, round reflections are now gone.

Imagine if I had to uninstall them, remove silicone, ship it back to Amcrest, get new cameras only to find the same issue? Thx so much for all your suggestions and to looney2ns for hitting nail on the head.